Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 05-31-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Thanx. My understanding of a ladder bar is that there are 2 mount points per side though, one above and one below the axle. I believe the 2 points allow adjustment of pinion angle, but I'm not sure it would change the forces applied to the axle housing. Well, except that each point would primarily see forces in 1 direction, where in this case, the mount point will see forces in both accel and decel?

Interesting idea, and I'm surprised we haven't see it before (unless I just missed it) given that it would appear to greatly simplify the installation. What are the limitations of this setup then?
I'm thinking there needs to be a 3rd link attatched to the top of the diff housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiedemab View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, it is essentially as version of the truck-arm type suspension.
The truck arm set up typically is triangulated and mounts around the transmission mount area
Old 05-31-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Junky View Post
The truck arm set up typically is triangulated and mounts around the transmission mount area
I am familiar with a typical truck-arm setup, and this setup essentially constrains the motion of the rear axle in the same way as a truck arm (or ladder bar for that matter). The way they mount to the axle is more reminiscent of a truck-arm to me than a ladder bar.

Anyway, I was just trying to make another analogy for folks to visualize.

The "trail-arms" or whatever you want to call them will control both the forward motion and the rotational motion of the rear axle. They will be in tension/compression and also experience a bending moment.
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Thanx. My understanding of a ladder bar is that there are 2 mount points per side though, one above and one below the axle. I believe the 2 points allow adjustment of pinion angle.
Could the pinion angle simply not be adjustable. Seeing that it just bolts to the stock spring perches, this is most likely the case. Would the pinion angle have to be adjustable for a ladder bar?

Im far from being a suspension expert or even technically inclined enough to understand half there is to know about it, but I, like many others here have been lead to believe that a ladder bar suspension was a no-no for serious cornering. This obviously works on this car seeing the results... but how?

Its not a Vega!!!!

Total Cost Involved - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - Fatman - MaverickMan Carbon
Old 05-31-2011, 02:29 PM

The pinion angle in this case would have to be adjusted with angled shims. - - I think, unless I missed something.
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 PM

I agree that I think angled shims would be required for pinion angle adjustments. And I have the exact same impression of a ladder bar setup, that's why I thought this might be something different that I wasn't seeing?

Perhaps Scott can chime in and clear it all up for me (us).
Old 05-31-2011, 07:59 PM

Once pinion angle has been determined it shouldnt need to be adjusted...
This suspension was designed as a very lost cost alternative for the average joe (like me) who cant afford detroit speed or ride tech equipment. It obviously works because Kevin (millertime179) has shown this at goodguys dallas and goodguys nashville where he was only 2 TENTHS of a second slower than Brian Finch! Apples to Apples this set up works!

Bryce
Old 05-31-2011, 08:00 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

This is ladder bar/truck arm system or a combination of both. The pinion angle is set at install. It comes with new modified spring perches that need to be welded to the axle.

I knew there would be some questions about it and if it would work or not and that's ok. For me, it will work just fine.
I have taken a ride with Kevin in his 69 that has the same set up except his has poly bushings up front instead of the johnny joints. The car also has the least expensive coilover shocks on the market. The car plants itself very well in the corners and comes out smooth. Now, Kevin is a heck of a driver, and that has been proven at the two autoX events that he has entered in his car but, it does work and for the price it is hard to beat.

Modo Innovations
940-391-9002
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 PM

This is a rear suspension I used on my very first 69 camaro build back in 2004.I was on a very tight budget.It worked very well.When my son Kevin started his 69 camaro build a few years ago he also needed something that would work for his tight budget also.I have given it a lot of thought and the system could be redsigned too work even better and be very ajustable but then it would not be low cost any more.I had really never thought about building this for resale until we were at dallas (GG) this year and Shannon said he thought folks would be interested in it because it worked so well and didn't cost alot.And would be very easy to install w/o any trunk pan cutting.So far only 2 Drivers have been faster than Kevin at GoodGuy's.And they are running the best (Suspeneion) the world has to offer.Pinion angle can be ajusted when the spring perches are welded to the rear end.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:17 PM

So I'm guessing at this point no third link on top of diff housing?

Scott, can you put together some numbers just so we can get an idea of cost?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:03 PM

Thanx Scott... Hopefully I didn't come across as questioning its performance, just trying to understand how it worked.