Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 09-09-2016, 12:17 AM

Default Pros and cons of AEM, Holley and MS3pro

I'm installing EFI on a fairly radical Ford motor now and a Chevy in the near future and have narrowed my choices down to the AEM infinity, the Holley HP series or the MS3pro. I've tuned some older (more painful) PROM based systems and Accel Gen 7 but want to use the new options with more features, no PROM burning, pre-built harnesses and support for COP. I have researched a good bit but I thought I would ask if anyone here has experience with all 3 or even 2.

I'm an engineer (BSME and MSEE) and know that all of these can be made to work fairly well but don't want to spend large amounts of time troubleshooting or figuring out how to use weakly documented systems (Accel Gen 7 was a good example of this). All appear to have some form of limited auto fuel curve development/control process using wideband O2 (I think good for initial operation) and each appears has different strengths. AEM infinity 508 looks to have the most features built in, Holley HP has the most being used and most available support and MS seems to be the most adaptable to any configuration you'd ever run.

I'm planning on a toothed crank trigger, LS COP, port injection on modified single plane manifolds and sequential control for both motors. Both are manual transmission and both will be cable throttle bodies. No turbo or supercharger planned either but who knows down the road.

Thanks for any help with the choices.
1970 1/2 Z28 project car
Old 09-09-2016, 09:45 AM

I am a big fan of the Holley EFI. I don't have any experience with the Infinity, but I have heard really good things. Compared to FAST, ACCEL, MS, and the older AEM boxes, I would choose the Holley.

Getting it up and running is really simple. I have run it with an LS3 reluctor wheel on the front of an old SBC, using a hall effect distributor as a cam sensor, with coil on plug, and it took all of 15min to get the software configured.

The learning feature works well, plus you can program when it learns and when it runs straight off the VE table. You can also run dual wideband sensors, so you get a reading from each bank.

It's also very easy to add different features, such as boost control, transmission control, nitrous, water meth, etc.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the info. Did you use the HP Holley or the dominator with the extra I/O. I thought the HP only has single O2 support and the Dominator has 2.
Thanks
1970 1/2 Z28 project car
Old 09-10-2016, 08:08 PM

I run the Holley HP EFI, and I really like it. There is some good support on a couple of forums for the unit as well. I used the FAST in the past, and I like the Holley much better.

The HP EFI only supports a single O2 sensor. I do believe that the Dominator will support 2. I've had no real issues with running a single sensor. I had bungs installed in both exhaust tubes so that I can choose to run it in either.

It would be nice to have more than 8 I/O (4 inputs, 4 outputs), but with some planning I was able to do all that I needed to.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:58 PM

We've had lots of silly issues with the newer FAST stuff and some issues with the other brands, too. Have you looked into BigStuff3? He's the author behind the early ACCEL units and the SpeedPro units/early FAST boxes.

i'm also really happy with the tunability of the factory GM units using the HPTuners platform, but they don't have auxilary inputs for extra data aquisition obviously.
I should add that the HPTuners platform has custom Operating Systems available which allow Boost Enrichment, and tunability for other power adders (while still using an OEM ECU). But this is obviously a solution for the factory EFI GM engines 97 and newer.

Last edited by cjsgarage; 09-12-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I'm very early in on running my car but I have the Holley Dominator. Went with Dominator over HP as I am using a DBW TB. Really like all the input/output options I have. Seems endless to what I can run.

I do have dual O2's, has boost control, manages the fan with PWM C6 controller (like the thread on this forum clearly explains).

It's just a nice piece. Setting it up and starting the car up was simple. Configured it for my setup and had the car started after wiring it in minutes. GUI is pretty good also.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 09-12-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcars View Post
Did you use the HP Holley or the dominator with the extra I/O. I thought the HP only has single O2 support and the Dominator has 2.
Thanks
I've used both. The upside to going with the Dominator, other than the extra I/O's, is DBW support, transmission control, and dual widebands.

The HP ecu is just as powerful, but doesn't have some of the fancy stuff, so if you don't need that, stick with the HP.

I've run the HP ecu on a twin turbo small block with water/meth injection since it covered all my I/O's that I needed. Admittedly, something like that would be nice to have dual widebands, but it wasn't worth the additional cost just for that feature.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:26 PM

Since I'm not running DBW, using a manual trans and no boost for now I'm probably OK with the HP instead of the Dominator and it does save a bunch of money.

Thanks for the help
1970 1/2 Z28 project car
Old 09-13-2016, 11:33 PM

I haven't seen a car running the AEM ecu, tons of MS3 and Holley installations though. Holley seems like the way to go, tons of support and a proven product. HP or Dominator just depends on what your goals are.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcars View Post
Since I'm not running DBW, using a manual trans and no boost for now I'm probably OK with the HP instead of the Dominator and it does save a bunch of money.

Thanks for the help
Sounds like you got it. Where in norcal are you? If you need some help getting it running when the time comes, let me know.