Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-16-2017, 10:09 AM

Default Planning a build: Operation Daily Driver

Things have been falling in line fairly well over the last year. We've recently moved to a house with a nice sized garage. The electrician is busy running a 100 amp line to feed it. Things are getting paid off (despite the money we've had to spend to get the house livable). And so now it is time to plan out my "Daily Driver"

For a few years, I had a 1993 BMW M5. I loved that car! Consequently, I think the overall goal of this build will be "an American E34 M5." I'm specifying "E34" because I don't want the car to be too "modern." The E34 M5 was a four-door sports car, and that's the feel I want. The more modern cars are certainly more capable, but at the cost of feeling less an extension of the driver, and more piece of electronics wherein the "driver" tells the car what to do and the car goes out and does it.

One important note, and then onto the "build," thoughts and criticisms are most welcomed!

I need something to act as a daily driver. It has to have four doors, be able to carry four people with reasonable comfort, and still be a fun drive. The base vehicle needs to be fairly safe with a chassis that has good aftermarket support. My first thoughts were for GM A-bodies from '66 to '72. These, however have serious rust issues, and well known suspension issues that can be expensive to deal with (I know, I have a '72 Cutlass in the works). '80s G-bodies were considered, but they have the same suspension issues. Also, the four-door requirement limited the number of vehicles as the later square-roof four-doors just don't look good in my eyes.

I looked at a few Mopar four-doors from the '80s, but their suspension is even older in design, with leaf springs holding up the back. That left Ford.

The Ford Fox Platform has to be one of the best supported platforms out there, ad I find the second-generation Fox four-doors to be reasonably attractive. Add in all the Mustang parts cars out there, and it seems a good choice.

Car: '83-'86 Ford LTD, LTD LX
  • '85-'86 Mustang nose
  • Saleen chin spoiler
  • Custom headlights w/GTS covers
  • '86-'87 Mustang rear wheel well openings
  • '86-'87 Mustnag rear bumber
  • Porsche Petrol Blue
  • Moonroof

Interior:
  • '80s Nissan 300ZX front seats
  • Custom console
  • Fold down rear seat (wagon?)
  • Custom console
  • Creme or tan upholstery
  • '79-'86 Fox Mustang dash
  • Dakota Digital VHX gauge package

Chassis:
  • Full subframe connectors
  • Strut brace
  • Rear shock brace
  • Cobra IRS
  • Delrin bushings throughout
  • Air ride?
  • Brake upgrade (17" wheels)
  • US Mags U434 "El Dorado" wheels

Engine:
  • 302 block (Boss necessary?)
  • 4" bore, 3" stroke (302)
  • Trick Flow "PowerPort" Cleveland heads
  • Trick Flow "Box-R" EFI Intake Manifold
  • Shorty or mid length headers
  • 10.5:1 compression
  • Roller cam
  • Pro-M Racing engine management system
  • Coil on plug ignition
  • 5 (or 6) speed manual transmission

So let's have at it. Thoughts? Criticisms? Better ideas?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:57 AM

personally the only late model 4 door (basically anything after 72) I would think was worth putting that kind of effort into would be a 96 SS Impala.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:28 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

You mentioned owning an M5, how about building your own M5? Mid 90's 5-series with LS/t56 swap?

There are a few build threads over ls1tech.com
Old 09-16-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
You mentioned owning an M5, how about building your own M5? Mid 90's 5-series with LS/t56 swap?

There are a few build threads over ls1tech.com
I had thought of that (back before I sold it), but... well, I sold it a few years ago. Plus, it was but one of two '93 M5s in Calypso Red cars. Seemed a crime to cut it up.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
personally the only late model 4 door (basically anything after 72) I would think was worth putting that kind of effort into would be a 96 SS Impala.
I can't stand the Aero Impalas. From some angles they look good, but from the inside... yuck. I think they are exceedingly cheaply made, too.

I did, however, consider an '77-'79 Impala or Oldsmobile Eighty Eight (I like the early front ends, better), but I really want an IRS for comfort. I could (as I am doing on my '72 Cutlass) adapt something, but the Fox IRS is a bolt in. Finally, the B-bodies are a bit big for what I want.

Good thoughts, though--thanks!
Old 09-16-2017, 01:20 PM

Hard to beat the aftermarket support of the Fox platform...as long as you like the looks of the Fairmont. I like the idea of an American M5 also, though I'd go the other way and transplant a LS and 6 speed into a nice 5 series.

Martin Pond has a very well built 2 door and wagon that can be drivin daily and tracked all weekend. He's completely lost his mind and is now building a Ford Durango...yes it exists, look it up.

For the amount of money and time you'll have invested, have you looked at mid 60's Falcon or Fairlane wagons? A lot of what you're planning can be done to the earlier cars and.....not look like a fairmont.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
For the amount of money and time you'll have invested, have you looked at mid 60's Falcon or Fairlane wagons? A lot of what you're planning can be done to the earlier cars and.....not look like a fairmont.
^ Yeah this...
Old 09-16-2017, 03:41 PM

A BMW wagon with an Ls would be sweet. Also an old Volvo wagon or 4 door with an LS swap.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2017, 08:55 PM

Actually, I like the LTD. I don't like the Fairmont that came before it (even though they share doors, roof, and overall structure). But I do like the LTD. I won't say it's the sexiest thing I've ever seen, but it isn't bad looking. Plus, the nose-job I want to give it will add the funky, Euro-Ford look from that era, and I like that too (thought the XR4Ti was cool looking).

Old 09-16-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
Hard to beat the aftermarket support of the Fox platform...as long as you like the looks of the Fairmont. I like the idea of an American M5 also, though I'd go the other way and transplant a LS and 6 speed into a nice 5 series.
The Fairmont was ugly, the LTD looked cool I think. I've thought of dropping an LS into a E34 5-series, but there are a few issues. The first is I think the swap will be more expensive. A 302 bolts into a Fox, the 5-speed is a matter of swapping out Mustang parts, etc. Next, suspension stuff for the E34 is expensive, and only urethane is available, not Delrin. The there is the issue of the BMW HVAC system. I'm probably just trying to talk myself out of it, but... Besides, an E34 needs that silky smooth DOHC six, not some American V-8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher
Martin Pond has a very well built 2 door and wagon that can be drivin daily and tracked all weekend. He's completely lost his mind and is now building a Ford Durango...yes it exists, look it up.
I'll have to look into his build. And yes, I know what a Ford Durango is. LOL It's Ausie for a ute based on the Fairmont/LTD wagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher
I can get an LTD (rust free) for around $1,000-$2,000. I cannot imagine a nice Falcon or Fairlane going for that. Further, the LTD will come with A/C, rear window defrost, and probably tilt, and power windows and locks. Also, the IRS will bolt into an LTD. Oh, and finally, it won't look like a Fairmont! LOL! The squared off Fairmont is... well... I think "dowdy" describes it well. The redesigned "Fairmont" became the LTD, and I think it works well.

Last edited by ProTouring442; 09-16-2017 at 09:19 PM.