Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 10-28-2017, 09:03 AM

It seems that you are also street driving your car which leaves you with the only option which is the t-56. Ask other guys who have tracked their pro-touring (street car) and the t-56 magnum is the way to go. Most any trans will perform on the street but you want or should want it to perform at an optimal level on track. If you only track the car then Hightower or Jericho road race would be your ticket. Lightweight, no or minimal tunnel mods and proven on track winners.
My t56 on the track is awesome and I am always amazed when I look at my tach when I'm cruising in 6th gear at 75mph on the highway.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-bender View Post
It seems that you are also street driving your car which leaves you with the only option which is the t-56. Ask other guys who have tracked their pro-touring (street car) and the t-56 magnum is the way to go. Most any trans will perform on the street but you want or should want it to perform at an optimal level on track. If you only track the car then Hightower or Jericho road race would be your ticket. Lightweight, no or minimal tunnel mods and proven on track winners.
My t56 on the track is awesome and I am always amazed when I look at my tach when I'm cruising in 6th gear at 75mph on the highway.

I run a JERICO 4 speed in my '65...... great transmissions FOR RACING.... would absolutely suck on the street IMHO.

https://www.jericoperformance.com/
Old 10-28-2017, 11:23 AM

I drove quite a few miles on the street with a Tex Racing (now G Force) T101A dog ring 4 speed. Same case size as the Muncie so no tunnel mods were needed to replace my crappy M21. Loved it on the street. Drove hundreds of miles with it before engine blew and put me down. Will drive it on the street again!

YMMV
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 10-28-2017, 09:04 PM

Lots of great input on this thread, so thanks guys.

So for sure the T56 magnum, is the transmission of choice. I already have the scattershield, which I ordered a few years ago. I am still wrestling with the OD gear ratios.

I think that I read that you can order a close ratio transmission, with the higher OD ratios. The reason I am looking into this, is a couple of the interior highways here have the high speed limits 120-125 kph cruise, and it is not unusual to see people at a little higher, so 75-85 mph and I'd like to keep it at around 2100-2200 max for a good superhighway cruise (which is where I am now)

If I do this on the close ratio trans, it does kind of kill my top end a little.
I like the super cruise.
The wide ratio trans, actually has a similar gear spacing to the current TKO 500 that I have. If I put a 3.73 diff, then effectively it would give me the same top end and add two gears before my current second gear. kind of nice in stop and go traffic, I think
Old 10-29-2017, 05:32 PM

Check out the upgraded Magnum that Bowler offers! You can also see it in Ron Suttons new catalog.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:09 AM

Has anyone tried the Legend tranny yet? Small size, big strength and the gear ratios are better spread, IMO.
I see it's kind of out of production/ problems with delivery...too bad.

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!

Last edited by rixtrix1; 04-21-2018 at 07:14 PM.