Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-22-2008, 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=XcYZ;146112]The Lexus on the hoist in the background is getting a new motor. Apparently they can only go 45,000 miles without changing the oil.
QUOTE]

Actually, the Lexus owner might be in luck if their RX300 was a 1999-2002 model. Apparently, the Toyota engine has a sludge problem even with regular oil change intervals and can fail in 36,000 miles or less.

Toyota is reimbursing for some of these engine replacements:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ettlement.html

One of the solutions for the inherent design flaw of the engine is to use synthetic oil, which doesn't break down from excessive heat inside the engine.
Follow the builds: http://octanealley.blogspot.com
Old 04-24-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcYZ View Post
Got the car aligned yesterday, everything went well, no suprises there... set the pinion angle while it was on the rack... no biggie... but, the car has been setting codes, so we hooked it up to a TechII to see what was going on. I'm getting a P0340 code, a cam position code. Upon further investigation, the sense wire has 5V on it all the time, even when disconnected from the CMP. Either something is goofy with the harness or the ECM has an issue. I have a schematic for the LS7/E38 ECM, but the CMP sense doesn't jive. Something strange is going on.

So.... 1 step forward, 1 step back.

And of course, here's the mandatory picture. The Lexus on the hoist in the background is getting a new motor. Apparently they can only go 45,000 miles without changing the oil.

Hell, even the shops that Scott takes the car to are clean as a whistle.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:26 PM

I know this thread is old but....I went to get my alignment checked today and everybody in my small town has the machine that clamps onto your wheel. Well I'm a little nervous about letting someone clamp metal to metal on my wheels. Anybody had issues with this?

Scott I noticed in this picture they clamped the stuff on yours, any problems with marks or scratches?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Scott, no issues at all, no scratches. The fingers (I'm sure that's the technical name, lol) on the laser heads go between the bead and the wheel lip, and because of how they are angled, they put more pressure on the bead than the wheel itself. I'm fortunate though, I'm friends with the guy that did the alignment and he and I did it on a Saturday morning when the shop was closed so we could take our time. Being involved instead of dropping it off is really nice.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 10-21-2008, 07:08 PM

Thanks Scott. Every shop I took it to today were not very confident on not damaging the wheels because of the clamping power they said. So I didn't have a warm fuzzy about having anyone in this small town do it. They did say that the industry is coming out with an alignment machine that doesn't clamp onto the wheel. So i guess I will try and find someone who has that machine.