Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Great score and looks like a really cool project.

It's nice to know that barn finds still exist.

I can hear the restoration fanatic / hypocrit in the background now - "please don't cut up that original car, it needs to be restored, cloned as a Hemi car and I have to get to BJ in January" (tongue in cheek).
1969 Camaro - Dusty
Old 03-14-2008, 09:57 PM

OK, were ready. Still have you credit card on file!

Wheels / tires, Brakes, Stereo, Steering, Got ya covered again

I know you will make it purdy, seen what you can do. Not sure about that diesel, but dare to be different!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:03 PM

Well guys you can calm down!! The car is home and it is not a original 440 car!!! I have yet to run the numbers but it appears its not orginal. Got it home with only a few problems, managed some how to lose a strap that was holding down the hood that then managed to rip off the original attenae, and leave a nice dent and crease in the passenger fender right on the body line. It'll be fun fix. Got it in the shop and hit it in a few crucial spots with the DA and as my luck would have found some filler. There are a few pits and tiny holes in both of the lower quarters in front and rear of the wheel. No biggie, looks like full quarters want be needed jsut some welding and little small patches. Trunk is a little different its full of fiber glass, but its going in the trash anyway. Car seems to be also originally red as thats the color under the blue. Overall I am still happy with the purchase. I'll get some pics up tomorrow during the tear down.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:39 PM

Yeah I am thinking the Cummins is gonna be a lot of fun!!! But I want to be different, everyone has a hemi or viper motor. I jsut want to build a badboy car that gets me attention and gets me a name in the industry, So lets throw a 700 HP, 1200 ft lbs torque diesel in it!!!

ok numbers have been ran!!! Good new for the mopar folks who didn't want me to cut up a original car!

Well its not a 440 car thats for sure!!

VIN shows:
1970 Challenger, 2 door hardtop, 225 CI V6, built in Hamtrack, MI

Fender tag shows:
US specs, 2nd production line, Bright REd paint, Black interior with buckets, Drip rail molding, Belt and hood chrome molding, Music Master AM radio, SE molding group, 225 CI 145HP V6, 3 speed auto tranny

So can I cut it up now??
Old 03-15-2008, 09:25 PM

What a night!!!! Been working since about 6 PM on the car. She is completely gutted and nothing but a shell now. Found some stuf I am not real happy with, but I guess its to be expected for a 38 yr old car. Seems she was a 70's or 80's repaint, and 440 installation. Found some filler, rust and ghetto metal fixes in the back glass surround area. All in all just playing with the DA I am very happy with the condition. Maybe 10 1/16th inch rust holes in the quarters, a few in the lower driver fender, and about 4 inches of pitting and repair needed in the lower rear window area. Other than that its solid.
All I got to say is Dodge could have had a much faster car back then if the doors didn't weight 200 lbs each, and have 150 lb hood. Tomorrow the motor and tranny comes out ad the rest of the interior. My buddy will be here after luch tomorrow with his mobile media blast system to blast the car. She'll be in bare metal tomorrow and ready for cutting!!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:35 PM

If it's not original, cut away!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:24 PM

Wow what a day!!! Started this morning, finishing the stripping and getting out the motor and tranny. My buddy mike showed up after unch with his mobile media blaster setup, and we got busy. A couple hours later we had a clean , paint free car. But boy was there some surprises to be found. For the first time out of all the cars I have ever bought, I got the shaft and they didn't even lube it up. Once all the bondo was stripped , we had swiss cheese lower quarters. Seems that somewhere back in the 80's did the motor swap, and did some ghetto bondo work on the quarters, that continually spread under the paint. Well b 4 we were done blasting ,and by 6 it was sitting naked with no roof or quarters. So looks like in the morning I'll be headed to Goodmark for quarters, roof, and rear filler panel. With the calibur of car I am wanting to build I think full quarters and roof, will be much more professional and a whole lot better. I got a ton of pics I'll post up in the morning when I get in the office.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:22 AM

Alright you guys wanted pics here they are!! Spent the morning loading 45 or so pics from the camera and resizing them for the net. Here they are in all there glory

Well here is how the weekend went

Saturday I had this and was happy

Started stripping and ended up like this

Last edited by fletcherscustoms; 04-10-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:25 AM

By sunday morning it was a shell. After Church my buddy Mike showed up with his mobile media blasting setup. Time to get dirty and down to business.

Last edited by fletcherscustoms; 04-10-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:28 AM

Well by 4 we were down blasting and had found a lot of awesome old repairs. I did not get the car I though I did. She is pretty bad case, but will be done

Windshield area

Trunk gutter area

Driver Rocker

Last edited by fletcherscustoms; 04-10-2008 at 09:37 AM.