Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 09-26-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Which B & M Shifter?

Ok, ordering a shifter for the camaro. I want to go for the clean tunnel look of no console, and just a shifter mounted on the carpet. I dont like the aesthetics of the megashifter etc. Am looking to purchase either the Magnum grip Pro-stick, or the Pro Ratchet shifter. Should I be spending the extra money to go to the Hardcore Street Bandit shifter?

Anyone used these particular shifters, and got good or bad feedback on them? It's to suit a T350 box in a 68 camaro. The pro ratchet sounds to be the easiest to drive with, especially if i have to let the girlie drive the car in emergencies, or when i've had too many to drink.

Attached are pics of each of the items:

Magnum Grip Pro Stick

Pro Ratchet Shifter

Hardcore Street Bandit

Thanks in advance for the advice guys, I would rather choose a shifter thats nice to drive with, rather than one that looks good only.

Fuel prices suck!
Old 09-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Supporting Member

I've always been a fan of the Quicksilver. Simple to use, with no levers to figure out.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:17 PM

I have a Megashifter in my car now, its very simple to use and never misses a shift... but thats just me. I'm not a fan of the drag race shifters mainly because of the money, and my car isnt a race car. I used the megashifter because it fit better with the over all aesthetics of the interior for my car.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Keep it simple. I have a B&M Hammer that must have been designed by a committee of chimpanzees. Ratchet action, leather boot, the reverse lockout feature gets jammed up regularly. When I replace it (with a nice, uncomplicated Quicksilver) the Hammer will go in the garbage. Or maybe I'll have the Hammer bronzed and hung on a wall as a reminder to "keep it simple". I guess you should avoid the Pro Ratchet for the same reason.

Of the choices you presented, I would go with the Bandit. The Pro Stick requires two hands--plus a doctorate to operate.

How'z that for a review?

Ridetech.com
Old 09-27-2005, 05:06 PM

I think the megashifter is a bit ugly, so i dont wanna use it.

Thats the type of feedback i was looking for streetfytr68, buying a shifter that gives problems can make driving your car a chore rather than a pleasurable experience.

None of these shifters will meet our local 'roadworthy' requirements, as they dont have the shift position on the drivers side, and illuminated at night. (RHD remember)

Fuel prices suck!
Old 09-27-2005, 06:04 PM

Then, your best bet is to get a factory floor shifter from a junkyard or dealer and integrate that car's console or fabricate a cover out of aluminum sheet. Since auto shifters are cable operated, you should find the swap will go smoothly.

Ridetech.com
Old 09-27-2005, 10:11 PM

I'll use the standard shifter to get through roadworthy requirements, and probably fit the street bandit after that.

Fuel prices suck!
Old 10-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfytr68
Keep it simple. I have a B&M Hammer that must have been designed by a committee of chimpanzees. Ratchet action, leather boot, the reverse lockout feature gets jammed up regularly. When I replace it (with a nice, uncomplicated Quicksilver) the Hammer will go in the garbage. Or maybe I'll have the Hammer bronzed and hung on a wall as a reminder to "keep it simple". I guess you should avoid the Pro Ratchet for the same reason.

Of the choices you presented, I would go with the Bandit. The Pro Stick requires two hands--plus a doctorate to operate.

How'z that for a review?
I agree. When I did my 700 swap on my '68. The only choice for a ratchet shifter at the time for an od tranny was the Hammer. Total POS. I could never get park and low. It was either one or the other, no matter how many times I adjusted the cable. I waited until the Quicksilver came out, and replaced it with that. Worked perfect.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfytr68

How'z that for a review?
Steve, will the quick silver work with a 4L60E and the paddle shifter?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtyme1
Steve, will the quick silver work with a 4L60E and the paddle shifter?
Yes it will. I don't like that model either. My experience is limited to driving Bill's GTO around Vegas and Pigeon Forge, so I could be wrong. And that car has a 4L80E, so that might be the root of my bad impression.

Sorry for being such a hard ass. Regardless, I will be trying a Lo-Stik from Gennie Shifters this year. It will be my third shifter in as many years.

Ridetech.com