Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 04-04-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicane View Post
$2230 isnt all that bad...

Too bad they are equal length... it just makes them "peaky".

Nice lookin tube though... that is for sure.
"Peaky" Can you explain? I always thought equal length was an ideal setup.

Josh
Old 04-04-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
"Peaky" Can you explain? I always thought equal length was an ideal setup.

Josh
4 into 1 vs. stepped try-y's... has always been healthy debate. Both have their 'applications'... but one is much better suited than the other, for a given application.

"Equal length" became a buzz word from the application. That buzz word was in reference to, obviously, making the primary tubes equal length... vice that of a tube header without equal length primaries. Now remember... we're referencing 1950's era buzz and technology. But... simply stated, yes... 4 into 1 'equal length' headers were much better than what the OEM and most aftermarket had available. But... how are they better... and most importantly, what application(s) are they better for?

In an application where the operational power band is relatively narrow (which really limits it's ability in most cases)... an equal length 4 into 1 header is choice. An application that suits that specifically is drag racing... where you pretty much operate in a limited range, in the latter quarter of the RPM band. Another application... would be on the engine dyno... where you are trying to make "peak" numbers... if only for a cock swinging contest. The 4 into 1 equal length design is well established for these applications... and is used in many forms of racing where the length of the track, or the lack of turns is present... like that in super speedways or longer oval tracks... where you are at a sustained throttle position, in the latter part of the RPM band.

The Try-y... also a 1950's design/creation... changed the approach and opened up many doors into the understanding of fluid dynamics. The basic design theory is 'pairing' of cylinders in the firing order. When the next (paired) cylinder's exhaust valve opens, the vacuum in the system pulls the exhaust out of the cylinder. This design improves the scavenging of individual cylinders and the tube length effects the time of the phasing, of the individual pulse.

Try-y's have always been though of as making better low and mid range power, but give up some at the top end. Meaning: they don't make the peak numbers that a 4 into 1 design would make. That is far from true in this day and age. With the advent of the "X Design" program and late model engineering practice... the newer Try-y designs make, not only more power under the curve... but peak power as well.

Now... for the practical application. If you were to only drive your car at full throttle, in the latter quarter of the power curve... the 4 into 1 would be something to consider. So... if your drag racing... that is pretty much your best bet... in most cases. If your driving on a long oval where you rarely fluctuate more than about 2k RPM... the 4 into 1 would be something to consider.

But... we drive our cars on the street and some of us at the track as well, which both are very similar. Normally, where you utilize more that 75% of the RPM band width... just as it would be on the street like it would also be on a road course... the Try-y makes more sense. More usable power under the curve... and in the majority of cases, more peak power.

Todays professional race teams know this... the C6R Corvettes, Trophy Trucks... and even the left hand turn club (NASCAR) utilize the Try-y specifically for road course efforts... they all use the Try-y design. Katech Engine Development, who builds engines for Pratt&Miller and the Corvette C6R, a few Trophy Truck's and some NASCAR efforts (not to mention they were the proverbial **** back in the Trans-Am days)... dropped a set of ATS Try-y headers on a standard engine package that is the mainstay of their aftermarket business... and they made more power everywhere... under the curve and even peak... over their custom dyno headers that were made for that particular engine package.

Considering 'our' application in duality... the streets and even some road course work... I very much believe the Try-y design is better suited for 'our' use. If they were not... we wouldn't have even considered the design in the first place when ATS developed it's Try-y header with Burns Stainless for the First Gen F-body and specific use with the LS7 or higher performance LSx applications.

Last edited by chicane; 04-05-2009 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Grammatical errors.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:26 PM

as always thanks for the good reading!

the good thing about reading your post over when we talk face to face is you give out so much info its neccesary to go back and re-read it LOL

do you know of any other options (brands) of tri-ys for a sbc in my car other than the doug thorleys?

1970 1/2 rs z28...pro-touring?...i wish...soon?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

$2230 is nuts. That's really uncalled for and way over priced. Stainless Works has been making their 304 headers for half that for pretty much ever. They may not have this particular application but they have many many others.

Here's what $1600 will buy you and I can assure you, it's a more difficult fit than putting headers onto an LSx in a 1st gen. These are some of the best C5/6 vette headers on the planet.

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...c14775624dc194

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 04-05-2009, 01:30 AM

I agree that the price is out of this world. I bet lemons has a set of killer headers for way less.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:38 AM

Wicked nice I agree. But there is a nice "DSE tax" included in that price for their great name.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 AM

That's a good price. Try buying materials and making them for that kind of money. Good materials will cost $1200 - $1500 and labor for a custom set would be anywhere from 60 - 80 hrs if you know what your doing.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 AM

Default DSE targets the high dollar market

In my opinion DSE targets the high end customer. Their prices are high in part to reflect "exclusivity". To apply the same principle it's what makes a two pieces of clothing, say a dress made of the same material 5000.00 for one and 50 for the other when they are made of the same material.

The fancy designer carries with it the exclusivity and presumption of wealth of its owner or higher quality of the part. Personally I don't buy into the theory that just because it cost more it must be better. Many do, and they keep the demand high enough that the prices are supported.

Two more points;

Their are options for the average Joe and I look everywhere for options, including the used parts bin and other vendors.

DSE should be able to benefit from innovation, when their first to market they should have a higher in price
Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtieracing View Post

Look at what DSE is going to release soon

Say aren't those............Marmon flanges and adapter clamps?

Paul
Old 04-05-2009, 06:16 PM

Default DSE headers

2300+ sounds expensive, and it is, but it isn't completely out in space... break it down & compare against some other headers:

1. Stainless always adds some coin, esp if you have priced good 304/306 lately.
2. If those are REAL merge collectors (which I'm sure they are), not just pieces that look like them, that adds a good 4-500 retail. Don't believe me? contact SPD or Burns Stainless.
3. The V-band (Marmon) clamps & flanges aren't cheap, either.

OK- that may not sound like $2300+ worth of justification, but you gotta pay to play.