Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Help, Feedback and Testing > Vendor/Member Feedback
User Name
Password

Old 05-22-2014, 08:46 PM

Thumbs down Scott Mock VRP subframe

First let me state that this thread is being made to state facts and not to bash anyone. This is based on my personal experience and everyone as adults should make there own finally decisions on were to spend there money and who to deal with. I have all emails to verify my posts and since contacting him he had changed his listing in the suspension section and deleted all pics of the new 2013 Scott Mock VRP frame design.That being said on I go.

I talked to Scott Mock in mid December 2013 and purchased his new 2013 VRP frame design because he was running a $500 off for members,$5400 total. We discussed what I wanted done and a completion date of the end of January 2014.

After 3 months of his excuses, building me the wrong frame, snow, crack ribs, car show with his son and building me the wrong subframe and having to re build the right subframe for me, I finally received my subframe for my 68 Camaro.

On inspection i found cold/ bad welds, missing upper shock mount "diamond" supports, the cross member only had one mounting location for T56 transmission even tho his new design showed multiple transmission mounting locations,the frame was not Da'd or sanded ready for powder coating as his add stated and the most recent was the sway bar mounting tube not square.

I contact Scott and he refund me $200 for not welding on the "diamond" upper shock support brackets, to grind out his bad welds and re weld myself and to sand the frame myself to get it ready to powder coat. I took the refund because something is better then nothing and he apologized. Recently when I went to install the sway bar it was difficult. I put the frame against the wall and checked for square and measured it and found the sway bar mount was way off.

I again contact Scott and he told me

" i already refunded you $200, discounted the frame $500 ( even tho it was a discount for all members), the sway bar mount being off is an easy fix, just cut off one side , square it up and re weld it"

He then went on to tell me I could fix it myself easy or send it back on my dime and he'll fix another of his mistakes.

This was the last draw for me. I told him I'd keep the frame and repair it myself and I'd never do business with him again. I told him he should of done quality work to begin with and not count on the customer to do the repairs. If i didn't know how to weld I'd be paying more then his $200 refund to repair this frame at a shop. After a 3 month wait this frame should of been top notch.

To me customer service is everything and wrongs need to be corrected, no excuses. He did own up to his first mistakes and refunded me $200 but didn't correct the sway bar mistake. It was to many mistakes to begin with. I work graveyard shift and don't have time to return frames on my dime and wait for his mistake to be fixed for the 5th time after I already paid $5400 dollars.

Now I have to, bend and weld on the upper shock "diamond" supports, grind out and re weld bad welds,DA my own frame, cut off the transmission mounts and fabricate and weld on my own and now repair the crooked sway bar mount. All his mistakes.

He lost my business but most of all my respect.

I have all emails, pictures of his original posts, etc to verify everything. Members are also welcome to come view the frame before i repair it myself.

Hope this helps members when making there next expensive purchase.

Below is a few pics of bad welds, crooked say bar mount, etc. Thanks Everyone
Attached Images

Last edited by Build-It-Break-it; 05-25-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: corrected spelling, corrected dates
Old 05-22-2014, 11:35 PM

Ahmad,Since you did not use the $200.00 I sent you to fix my short coming's,Please use that money the ship the frame back to me.I will fix it ASAP and ship it back to on my dime.You didn't wait 6 months to get the frame.My Old dominion bill of landing is dated 3/28/2014.So my math says its 3 months 15 days from your 1st payment and about 2weeks after your 2nd payment.Thank you Scott.

Last edited by coolwelder62; 05-22-2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-23-2014, 01:45 AM

Hi Scott, you are correct it was 3 months and some days. I just checked emails and verified your are correct. But it was still 3 months after the promise date.

As for sending back the frame, I'll just repair it myself at this point. I honestly feel uncomfortable at this point returning it. If something happens between me shipping it and you receiving it or vice versa I'm out $5400.

If anything you can send me properly bent "diamond" upper control arm supports and properly bent/ drilled or slotted transmission crossmember brackets, slotted preferred. This will at least save me a few hours fabbing up my own.

I feel I should of been compensated accordingly at thus point for all the work required to get this frame were it needs to be and should of been to start.To repair this frame is a minimum 16 hours shop rate I should of been refunded for having to, grind out bad welds, welding, cutting off brackets,fabbing new brackets,etc. And that's a low estimate of time being generous on my part.

That would of fixed the problem.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:16 AM

Ahmad,I could fix your issue's( I'm sorry you are having them,clearly I dropped the ball) w/the frame in 2-3hour's max(16 hour's labor!!!! somebody's on crack).Here are your choice's.Option A-Keep the $200.00 and fix it your self,Option B ship it back to me & I will fix them and do it to your satisfaction and send it back to you on my dime ASAP( I shipped the complete frame w/all componets to you for $198.32,so I know the frame can come back for the $200.00 I sent you),Option C-I will make you some diamond gussetts and trans tabs with slotted holes as per your drawing's so I know what you want.This my final reply on this thread.Thanks Scott.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 AM

Thumbs down

Hey Scott, thank you for public admitting your faults. This thread once again was not intended to bash you. But when welds are questionable/structure and my safety and my family, friends are in order now that's important.

I don't build frames or know suspension geometry by any means, but I do mig, tig and arc weld daily. To back grind out most of the bad welds,re weld them,cut off and make new transmission mounting bracket for multiple transmission options, cut off sway bar mount and re weld, bend diamond brackets and re weld, DA sand the entire frame in 3 hours is far from the truth. If you can accomplish this all in 3 hours that's amazing and my hats off to you,but the quality and details don't show in this frame you sent me. But it'll take me 16 hours to do it properly, safely with quality welds etc.

As far as a resolution,I think you should build me a properly quality welded frame as you originally posted in your new frame design before you deleted the pictures, with the small details I originally requested and take back this frame and do as you please. This without a question should be an easy task to agree to. Once I would receive and inspect the new frame I'd send this frame back. To me that's what should be done and should of been done from the start after the sway bar issue. I should of even gotten some upgraded mandrel bent frame rails for the wait and inconvenience.

If not,as stated before, I'll fix this one and let this be a learning experience of what vendors to deal with for everyone on this site when safety, quality, customer service and time are important. Anyone who has purchased a VRP subframe I urge you to check it for any defects, welds, etc. This is your money and most importantly your life and others safety at hand. Don't be afraid to speak up when things aren't done as promised or as expected. I was contact privately by a member who had the same issue with his VRP subframe but is scared to speak up. I hope he changes his mind. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this. I hope this helps when making your next purchase.

Last edited by Build-It-Break-it; 05-25-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 05-26-2014, 05:36 PM

Since I stand behind my work,here's what I am willing to do.Ahmad you take the sub frame back to business address I shipped it too(strapped on the pallet please).I will call Old Dominion freight co. And have them pick it up and deliver to me,I will fix it or replace it at my choice.And return a properly built frame to you ASAP.And you can keep The $200.00 dollar's for your time.Thanks Scott.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:01 PM

Thumbs down

Hey Scott, like I said before, at this point I'll repair it properly myself. I don't want to wait further or risk more excuses. You won't be losing anything by sending me a perfectly built frame and waiting on this one. It'll be an exchange for the mistakes/safety issues.

"Repair or replace it at your choice because you stand behind your work"??

I feel your only standing behind your work because your mistakes are being made public. You weren't willing to do anything to resolve the problem before I made this public.

Like I said before, you should of sent me a perfectly welded frame to to start and to resolve this(like your "new frame" designed showed). After I would of inspected the new frame I'd return this one for you to repair or trash. You should of inspected this frame and anyone elses before it left your sight. But again, I'll just fix this one myself at this point. I shouldn't have to wait any further after already waiting 3 months past your promise date on top of poor quality work. Again, now I know whom to deal with when customer service, quality and my safety are important. Thanks
Old 05-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Well, Scott offered to fix or replace it. It's your choice whether to wait on that fix or repair it on your own.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 PM

Well to updated this thread, I've been recently contacted by a third party about rumors of me contacting my bank. I will not mention the third party as he is neural in this matter and is trying to help me resolve this matter. These rumors of me contacting my bank are true. Since my last post I tried to install Scott Mocks subframe only to find out the rear bolt holes at the seat pans don't line up. I tried contacting Scott again with no luck to fix the problem so at that point I had to contact my bank.

After speaking with the well respected third party, he asked me a few questions in regards to the bank dealings and other untrue statements told to him by Scott. He also informed me Scott was spreading untrue statements about me on Facebook in order to get me banned from lateral g. I could not verify the Facebook statements due to the fact I don't have a Facebook, twitter or Myspace accounts.I explained to him what I was doing with my bank, why and have all the information he requested to back up my story. Which the third party verified.

After the third party verified my story was correct and Scott was lying about what happened in dealing with my bank, Scott then deleted his statements from Facebook and also retracted his story to the third party.

My bank is currently doing an investigation into Scott Mock and has given me a temporary credit to my account in the amount of $2700 which was the last payment made to Scott Mock and as far as they can go back to refund my money. This credit is not fully issued until there investigation is over with Scott Mock and that's all I'm inclined to say at this point.

As for his subframe. I tried mounting it to my 68 Camaro only to find it the rear mounting points don't line up with the rear seat lower caging bolts. I reinstalled my friends factory frame and everything lines up perfect and moves freely. His subframe is pushed out towards the rocker panels 1" and 1/4 so the bolt holes don't line up. I had to ratchet strap the frame rails together in order to bolt it to my body. I then removed the rear bolts and loosened the two front bolts to align the subframe only to find out that those mounting points are also not centered with the caging bolts and are also pushed outward 1/2" and you cannot move the frame to adjust it. If I ratchet strap the frame in the rear inward and tighten the bolts down they will shear off eventually due to the tension they are under.

Anyone knows that the caging nuts for the subframe should be centered at the mounting points so the frame can be squared to the body. I'm unable to move Scotts subframe even 1/4" to square it to my body when bolted up. I started measuring every point of his frame and its off at least 1/4 at every mounting point, radiator support, lower and upper control arms, rack and pinion, etc etc. Check your frames if you purchased it through Scott Mock. If it was in the same jig he used on mine, chances are your frame is the same way.

I've been communicating with Scott through the third party , his choice and beyond childish. The third party contacted me and told me Scott wanted to issue me a refund of $2700 on top of the bank investigation refund of $2700 which would be my full refund of $5400. This was yesterday. I have yet to here from Scott again through the third party so I won't hold my breath.

The third party also let me know they have already caught Scott in lies about the matter and are seeing his stories are conflicting. Its always easier to tell the truth and there is always two sides to the story. I have always provided evidence to back my statements and have never posted false accusations like Scott has.

If Scott doesn't refund my money this will put a hold on my build slightly. But I'll forge ahead.

If any vendor would discount me a bare subframe that I would be able to use my C6 Components on that i already have I would more then greatly appreciate it. Art Morrison wink wink..

Thanks again,
Ahmad B.

Last edited by Build-It-Break-it; 07-24-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-06-2014, 10:58 PM

Thumbs down

Well this will be my final update to this thread. Since contacting my bank I was awarded a refund in the amount of $2700. I still lost the rest of my money in this transaction due to the fact I have to completely reconfigure this frame I'm stuck with.

As for Scott Mock, he has yet to try and resolve my issue and others but still finds the time to constantly complement other people's builds. I'm sure he has seen this thread but still chooses to avoid it. Scott avoiding this thread says a lot about his character and business practices. He may of been a stand up member of this board before but not anymore.

Thank you to all who have contacted me and taking the time to read this thread. Please buy from a reputable company the first time, not a guy making part's in his glorified garage.

Thanks again,
Ahmad B.