Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 10-11-2015, 12:49 AM

Default Viper T56 in my 67 Cougar

Hi everybody.

I tried searching but couldn't find the answer I was hoping/looking for. I am using a Viper t56 behind my coyote engine. The problem I am having is that the transmission mount pad on the viper t56 is much lower than the other variations of t56s (which I did find with the search function). Using a rubber/poly mount would put the transmission cross-member below my frame which I'm not comfortable with or want to do. I can see the car hanging up on speedbumps in my future if I did. I was thinking of fabricating a cross-member that hard mounts on the transmission then use poly/rubber bushings on the ends that connect to the frame. Has anyone attempted this or see any problems with this configuration? Thanks in advance.

Robert
Old 10-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad68Cat View Post
Hi everybody.

I tried searching but couldn't find the answer I was hoping/looking for. I am using a Viper t56 behind my coyote engine. The problem I am having is that the transmission mount pad on the viper t56 is much lower than the other variations of t56s (which I did find with the search function). Using a rubber/poly mount would put the transmission cross-member below my frame which I'm not comfortable with or want to do. I can see the car hanging up on speedbumps in my future if I did. I was thinking of fabricating a cross-member that hard mounts on the transmission then use poly/rubber bushings on the ends that connect to the frame. Has anyone attempted this or see any problems with this configuration? Thanks in advance.

Robert
Robert,

What about using a F-body T56 tailshaft housing? It will have to be modified to work with the larger viper output shaft, but that mod has been done before and I believe the length is right.

Andrew
Old 10-12-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Robert,

What about using a F-body T56 tailshaft housing? It will have to be modified to work with the larger viper output shaft, but that mod has been done before and I believe the length is right.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew for the suggestion. I'll look into it as a last resort because I'm trying to keep expenditures down. I already purchased hurst shifter to go with the transmission and don't want to have to resell it then try and find a deal on F-Body shifter.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Robert,

Andrew
Viper housing and mainshaft are longer then f-body(around 1.5"). Also shift rail is longer on f-body.

I am in dealing with the same thing, and have a f-body tailhousing to compare it to.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:49 PM

Well, I may have at least found one person that has done what I was thinking, albeit it's in a SN95 mustang. In looking for pictures of the viper/cobra/magnum t56 I stumbled across the thread below. Doesn't mean I'll do it still.

How To: Install clutch Flywheel + T56 swap in 96-98 chasis - MustangForums.com

For anyone that has done a t56 swap (viper, t56, magnum, etc.) into an early mustang, would you mind posting pictures at frame level and identify the list of mods you did to get the transmission where it's at. Probably also a good idea to list the engine it's mated to. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:21 PM

The viper t56 into fox mustangs was popular for a while before the magnum came out. I have a viper t56 in my mustang . I cant help you with a swap into an early mustang but if you need any information i should be able to help.a viper case needs a specific bellhousing. Quicktime might make one for a coyote. I had an issue with both stiffler and aje crossmembers which are meant for t56 touching the transmission case. If i put spacers in the transmission ended up touching the tunnel. I ended up using a american powertrain x factor crossmember. I would suggest trying different crossmembers out and modifying the one that will give you the best fit.

Last edited by transam; 10-18-2015 at 04:30 PM.