Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-08-2019, 09:47 AM

Default Limit of single shear rear suspension coilover mount

Hello,

I am installing a new axle in my Rolls Royce race car and had a question regarding the rear coilover mounts.

I have single shear brackets like this

I was wondering what the limit of this type of bracket is? Should I look into different options to run a double shear style mount?

The suspension is all built so it is much quicker for me to just weld the same style brackets on the new axle instead of trying to put something different on.

I also hate how the threads are part of the mount body. I can see that potentially being an issue. Especially trying to install/remove the bolt with axle weight leveraging on the bolt/threads.

Here are my questions:

Any real world failure experience?

Is it worth the extra time to come up with a new double shear type bracket?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:30 AM

There are a bunch of racecars out there using this design. I have these on the rear of my C Prepared autocross car, with 600 lb springs on coilovers. Never an issue.

You mention the threads being part of the mount body. Are you referring to the tube where the lower shock bolt goes thru? I have never seen one of those threaded.

And to help with the fact that they are only single shear, be sure to run a tapered safety washer.

My $.02.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28cp View Post
There are a bunch of racecars out there using this design. I have these on the rear of my C Prepared autocross car, with 600 lb springs on coilovers. Never an issue.

You mention the threads being part of the mount body. Are you referring to the tube where the lower shock bolt goes thru? I have never seen one of those threaded.

And to help with the fact that they are only single shear, be sure to run a tapered safety washer.

My $.02.
Yes, the lower tube the shock bolt goes through is threaded on mine. I will get new brackets that are not threaded and use a nut/bolt.

Happy to hear I don't have to re-think that part of the suspension!
Old 02-08-2019, 06:56 PM

Common on street rods. The only time they fail is when the shock bottoms out a lot. Even then they don't really fail, they bend.

I try to use an external bumpstop to prevent the shock from bottoming out and that prevents any issues.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 02-09-2019, 08:10 PM

I don't think they are a problem. Having them threaded isn't a problem either but use Loctite on the threads. Watch out for the shock binding at the inserts, (olives). stroke the suspension through full travel and check it. We've run rear single shear coilover shock mounts (upper and lower) and no issues with 1/2" bolts as long as they are torqued correctly.