Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:40 AM

For us budget guys... I just picked up a 9" in the local wrecking yard for nothing, they are full of them. Have you seen the price of a used 12 bolt lately, the option to go used in really no option-Chris
Old 02-17-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969Crossram
No they are not FORD, meaning a ford product. They are however referred to as ford housing ends.
Not to split hairs... but, unless the housing end is a specific "Ford" bolt pattern, its not a Ford housing end. And they are not just refered to as a "Ford big bearing end".

There are a plethora of Ford, GM, Olds/Pontiac, Mopar and other non-make, symetrical housing ends. It is empathetically too generic to just say "Ford big bearing ends"... as there are six different big Ford ends. And if its not a Ford pattern... it is merely a housing end... which you then need to be even more specific on which one it is.

It is much eaiser to be understood when you dont speak in generalities.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:59 PM

Default why so technical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicane
Not to split hairs but, unless the housing end is a specific "Ford" bolt pattern, its not a Ford housing end. And they are not just refered to as a "Ford big bearing end".

There are a plethora of Ford, GM, Olds/Pontiac, Mopar and other non-make, symetrical housing ends. It is empathetically too generic to just say "Ford big bearing ends"... as there are six different big Ford ends. And if its not a Ford pattern... it is merely a housing end... which you then need to be even more specific on which one it is.

It is much eaiser to be understood when you dont speak in generalities.
When you call Moser up and order a new 12 bolt does it make sense to get chevy style housing ends and run c-clips? Or just make it easy and order ford style housing ends and get the pressed bearing so you do not need to worry about c-clips. Why do have to make things so technical. I have been watching you here for months. It is obvious you have a wealth of technical information stored in your brain and you enjoy letting people know just how much technical info you have stored upstairs. Thank you, I do not know how myself and others would get by without the wealth of tech you so gladly fill these pages with. I always have my dictionary standing by too, so I can understand some of the technical words you like to throw around. Plethora, who even uses that word? Couldn't you have used a word like plenty, a lot, many. You know, something most people are used to seeing and using. P.S. I think you like splitting hairs.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
6. What the hell is a center chunk ?? Is that like a hogs heads or a pigs snout ??
LOL! That is something we have here in the south. Come on over to the racin track and well teach yall about center chunks! Luckily the guys at Moser are rednecks also, so they understand.

BTW, Chicane is correct. there are multiple Ford ends, and many are consdered "Big Ends", which like center cheunk, has become a familar slang.

As I said, when we order either a 12 bolt or a 9 inch, if the owner does not already have brakes, we specify Torino stlye ends, which use big Ford bolt patterns.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
When you call Moser up and order a new 12 bolt does it make sense to get chevy style housing ends and run c-clips? Or just make it easy and order ford style housing ends and get the pressed bearing so you do not need to worry about c-clips. Why do have to make things so technical. I have been watching you here for months. It is obvious you have a wealth of technical information stored in your brain and you enjoy letting people know just how much technical info you have stored upstairs. Thank you, I do not know how myself and others would get by without the wealth of tech you so gladly fill these pages with. I always have my dictionary standing by too, so I can understand some of the technical words you like to throw around. Plethora, who even uses that word? Couldn't you have used a word like plenty, a lot, many. You know, something most people are used to seeing and using. P.S. I think you like splitting hairs.
If I called up Moser and ordered a new 12 bolt with big bearing Ford ends... it just would not make any sense. Because they are not assembeled with big bearing Ford ends. They are assembeled with the Cheverolet, 'mid-size' pattern, housing ends. And you know what ?? They just happen to be a press-on style axle bearing end cup... similar to that of the Ford. But still somewhat different.

Why so technical you ask...?? Because I speak 'technical' and because at times, it is necessary to educate those who just dont get it. Case in point... "Chevy style housing ends" are not even part of this subject. In fact, they are not even a "style." We are not talking c-clip anything, in this thread. Now however, "Cheverolet mid-size housing ends"... that are Cheverolet pattern, are discussed. There is a huge difference.

I do not have a problem with those who disagree, offer other ideas or can debate a view point or theory, in fact, I implore it. But, if one were going to disagree or offer something else...etc, please, I simply ask that one will disagree intelligently.

Why do you make things out to be so generic ?? Knowledge and understanding of a specific subject isn't generic by any means. You ask a specific question and you will get an educated, and fairly specifc answer. If you generalize... well that is what you get in return and it may not answer your question at all. Like I said earlier, it is much eaiser to be understood when one does not speak in generalities.

If I were merely like the rest... (and those who know me will agree, that my personality screams something totally different)... life would be pretty damn boring. I have choosen to broaden my horizons, to educate myself per-se, so that I may convey the knowledge required for conversational needs... (without a 45 minute dissertation) and use them big ole' .50 cent words... 'cuz ninety-nine percent of my day is spent on a non-generic, higher level. Sorry... I guess.

I have however, made you look up three or four words now. So I guess you are learning something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms
LOL! That is something we have here in the south. Come on over to the racin track and well teach yall about center chunks!
I knew you would get a giggle out of that Frank. There are times that we speak the same dirt...

Last edited by chicane; 02-18-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:14 AM

crossram, why even start the thread if you are so informed already?
Old 02-18-2007, 08:26 AM

I highly value Chicanes technical knowledge an try to read and learn as much as i can. I had no idea how much differences could be between rear end an want to have mine right at once. Keep up the good word Chicane!
Old 02-18-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
If I called up Moser and ordered a new 12 bolt with big bearing Ford ends... it just would not make any sense. Because they are not assembeled with big bearing Ford ends. They are assembeled with the Cheverolet, 'mid-size' pattern, housing ends. And you know what ?? They just happen to be a press-on style axle bearing end cup... similar to that of the Ford. But still somewhat different.

Why so technical you ask...?? Because I speak 'technical' and because at times, it is necessary to educate those who just dont get it. Case in point... "Chevy style housing ends" are not even part of this subject. In fact, they are not even a "style." We are not talking c-clip anything, in this thread. Now however, "Cheverolet mid-size housing ends"... that are Cheverolet pattern, are discussed. There is a huge difference.

I do not have a problem with those who disagree, offer other ideas or can debate a view point or theory, in fact, I implore it. But, if one were going to disagree or offer something else...etc, please, I simply ask that one will disagree intellinently.

Why do you make things out to be so generic ?? Knowledge and understanding of a specific subject isn't generic by any means. You ask a specific question and you will get an educated, and fairly specifc answer. If you generalize... well that is what you get in return and it may not answer your question at all. Like I said earlier, it is much eaiser to be understood when one does not speak in generalities.

If I were merely like the rest... (and those who know me will agree, that my personality screams something totally different)... life would be pretty damn boring. I have choosen to broaden my horizons, to educate myself per-se, so that I may convey the knowledge required for conversational needs... (without a 45 minute dissertation) and use them big ole' .50 cent words... 'cuz ninety-nine percent of my day is spent on a non-generic, higher level. Sorry... I guess.

I have however, made you look up three or four words now. So I guess you are learning something.

I knew you would get a giggle out of that Frank. There are times that we speak the same dirt...
I guess I am mistaken about the new Moser 12 bolt I have sitting in my garage which has the big bearing ford housing end, and disc brakes for a ford housing end. Thanks for clearing that up. I will call Moser Monday and find out just what they sold me since they told me what housing end it had and what brake kit to get for it. If you really think I needed to look up your words, well I guess I let you keep thinking that, I feel for someone like yourself it is good for your ego.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68protouring454
crossram, why even start the thread if you are so informed already?
You forgot to end that statement with Hero.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I guess I am mistaken about the new Moser 12 bolt I have sitting in my garage which has the big bearing ford housing end, and disc brakes for a ford housing end. Thanks for clearing that up. I will call Moser Monday and find out just what they sold me since they told me what housing end it had and what brake kit to get for it.
I have never once stated, that Moser and company were the sharpest tools in the shed. You got it that way, because you ordered it that way. I would hate to tell the 10,000+ late model F-body guys that are using the new 12 bolt that have to order the Ford brake package for the differential housing to work correctly.

You are really taking this too personally.

Quote:
If you really think I needed to look up your words, well I guess I let you keep thinking that, I feel for someone like yourself it is good for your ego.

Quote:
I always have my dictionary standing by too, so I can understand some of the technical words you like to throw around.
...absolutely priceless.
Closed Thread