Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 PM

Default '71 Nova. Project "Urban Legend" (Updated 4/20 Pics Pg.2)

It's embarrassing how long I've been a member here and other places and just now feel I can start a build thread but here goes... Oh, and I apologize in advance that it isn't a Camaro ...

I got this '71 at 15 and will have had it for 20 years this fall. Been through 2 build-ups prior to this but never really "finished" those. School, career, wife, housing, etc has always gotten in the way. Couple that with too much indecisiveness on my part, change in priorities and you get long, unfinished project car .

A good friend of mine nicknamed the Nova project "Urban Legend" a few years back because "everybody has heard about it but few have seen it." Sad but true I guess. You have a car this long and every family get together, run in with old friends, etc it always comes up, "how's the Nova", "you still got that Chevy II", etc.

Unfortunately, as I approach the big 35, I began to realize life is short and those that are close to me won't be around forever. Many of those people lived through the era when all the cars we love now were rolling off the lines. They have countless stories and memories developed over the years of enjoying these great machines. I never get tired of hearing the stories. Sorta like the movie Dazed and Confused but real. I just want to get this thing together so when I get asked, "finish that Nova yet", I can say "dayum right I did. Let's go do some burnouts." I can only imagine the stories that's gonna conjure up . To me, that appreciation and enjoyment of the project by those individuals will mean as much as anything.

So here's the plan...

Exterior:
Mostly stock. Maintain the classic heritage of the car. Chrome bumpers, etc.
DSE mini tub
DSE subframe connectors
VWW V45 17" front 18" rear

Interior:
Factory replacement stuff
Maybe some basic Recaros that don't look too out of place
4 point rollbar w/removable harness bar
Decent sound system

Front Suspension:
Modifed OEM subframe
Speedtech UCA/LCA
QA1 D/A coilover conversion
Hollow swaybar
Basic Wilwood 4 piston setup (clear 15" wheels)

Rear Suspension:
G-link w/Fab9
-OR-
12 bolt, 3" drop leafs with Speedtech billet shackles

Drivetrain:
496 big block (resisting the LSx temptation...)
4l80e

Last edited by BBC71Nova; 04-20-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:44 PM

Off to good start...

Last few months I've been tearing the car back down while I waited for my turn at the fab shop. After so much idle time over the years it really feels good to be giving the Nova some love again. I think I have enough of a plan together and have been saving long enough that I can make some good progress towards something I'll be happy with. I won't go so far as say "finish" cause well... we all know that never happens .

Thanks to Lateral-G I made the decision to go with Dan Holohan. He recently opened his own shop up in Mooresville, NC. His name is associated with some of the high profile projects out there like SickFish, BlowFish, Chicayne, etc. He also recently completed some work for Jay on his "wife's car" from here on the forum. My project won't be a challenge for him even with one hand tied behind his back and a blindfold on .

Yesterday was the day I'd been waiting for. I had to load up my heap and make the 8hr trek up to Mooresville. Note Friday afternoon rush hour in ATL must start at noon. Towing through ATL on Friday afternoon between 3-4 took years off my life I'm certain. Oh, and up I85 I saw this vehicle with "Bristal or bust" type stuff wrote on the rear glass. I couldn't help but laugh at the misspelling and wonder what that was doing for the stereotypes .

Met up this morning with Dan. His shop is new, very clean and organized. And holy smokes does he have some cool equipment to make you giddy. That massive Dake bandsaw he has makes my import look like a jigsaw. I also think his call to Dake for a shop press went something like this, "Hello. Send me the biggest shop press on the planet. This square peg will fit the round hole. Thanks." We talked about all the projects in the shop and I drooled over the fab work. The Olds seemed thrilled to have some company in the shop that wasn't an F-body .

And then I left it like this. There's my junker. Guarding the door against the assault of more '69 Camaros...
Old 03-20-2011, 06:22 AM

yea!!! givin the nova's some love! looks real good!
Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 AM

Default great story

WOW 20 years
Dan is an awesome choice and the nova will be something you can be proud of.
Most of us dream of having our cars reworked with that caliber of talent at the tig.
Keep us updated because im sure its gonna be a great journey to the end.

Tom
Old 03-20-2011, 02:00 PM

John,Project is going to be amazing .Since you live in Brimingham do you know Mark whitlock of Mark's Outdoor's.He's a great guy.Scott M.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwelder62 View Post
John,Project is going to be amazing .Since you live in Brimingham do you know Mark whitlock of Mark's Outdoor's.He's a great guy.Scott M.
I know of Mark Whitlock but don't really know him. Been in the store my fair share of times. I checked his car out at a local cruise-in back couple years. Looked really good. Talked to the builder for a bit to get the low down. IIRC it was built by the guys down at Performance Car Craft.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Default Wrong Car

JOHN

Scott sold him this car
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/vehicles/72175

Tom
Old 03-30-2011, 05:44 PM

Project is back from the blasters and the load of replacement sheetmetal has been ordered. Looks worse than I thought . I guess the first 20 years of the car's life must have been rough cause this sure didn't happen over the last 20 that it has spent in the garage .

Glad we had it stripped though. That's the only way to know what's hiding under all the ancient filler, kitty hair, riveted aluminum patches, etc.

I think the next pics I get from Dan should classify as "progress pics"

John

What was the dash

Flintstone toeboard

Rear glass channel

Patched tail panel
Old 03-30-2011, 07:03 PM

Default progress

Thats where ya start

Im sure Dan will make it a distant memory.
Im headed up to see Dan @ HHRS next week. Im excited to eyeball all the projects and fab.

Tom
Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 PM

Dan's been plugging away at my heap the last couple weeks. He is really an artist with metal. Now if I only had the "long bread" so I could just cut all his talent and creativity loose I can only imagine what he'd come up with...

He's made good progress on the firewall and repaired my Flintstone toe-board as you can see in the pics. I don't have the pics but the floorpans and trunkpan are also fitted. Can't wait to see the new sheetmetal going on. Bye bye rust On to the pics...