Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 AM

Default Torque arm vs 4 link ???????

I'm sure this has been beat to death but indulge me. After looking at the displays at the Good Guys Columbus show, What true benefit does one have over the other?
I was dead set hard core going with the TCI torque arm but then realized that future option of adding a Gear Vendors OD might be an issue with the torque arm clearance. So rethinking about doing the 4 link. I definitely want to get away from the leaf springs and go with some type of coil over system. Just a street cruiser that likes to take curves fast. Looking for opinions, Thanks
68 Camaro
Old 07-16-2019, 10:18 AM

you have no doubt seen my posts on a similar topic on PT. I was pretty well decided on the TA until I started looking at the mounting and realized the packaging would not work with the exhaust system I have. So changing exhaust isn't that big of a deal, but with the advantages in the packaging for exhaust routing and other items, I am now leaning back to 4 link.
My car is a second gen Camaro, and the new redesigned 4link from RideTech has my eye. Longer front arms for better geometry, delrin style bushings, mostly bolt-in installation leveraging factory spring locations and so far seems to be working quite well on their 1st gen and 2nd gen test Camaro's.
Looks very strong and solid as well - should be capable of handling a good amount of HP.

I like the DSE set-up and if I were going all in with mini tubs I would go that route - but I don't want to lose the back seat just yet so want to continue with my 275/295 tire set-up on 10" wheels which work with the stock tub.

I also like the looks of that new 3 link from Hotchkis, but looks like they package it with a Currie Turn9 rear end which I don't need. Maybe I'll call them to see if they sell separately - but either way the price point seems a bit out of line compared to the usual suspects - BMR, DSE, RT, ST.
The Following User Says Thank You to c4racer2 For This Useful Post:
68454RS (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 03:49 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68454RS View Post
I'm sure this has been beat to death but indulge me. After looking at the displays at the Good Guys Columbus show, What true benefit does one have over the other?
I was dead set hard core going with the TCI torque arm but then realized that future option of adding a Gear Vendors OD might be an issue with the torque arm clearance. So rethinking about doing the 4 link. I definitely want to get away from the leaf springs and go with some type of coil over system. Just a street cruiser that likes to take curves fast. Looking for opinions, Thanks
68 Camaro
For a street cruiser, you really can't go wrong either way. Having installed, driven and raced most of the popular 4 links and torque arms, I might lean towards a 4 link for packaging, if you want your car to sit low enough that ground clearance and exhaust could be an issue. I think the torque arm setups are more ideal for the track, and offer more range of adjustment for fine tuning, but unless you're driving on track, I don't think you'll be able to notice the performance benefit over a 4 link.

Matt

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt@BOS For This Useful Post:
68454RS (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 04:02 PM

100% agree with Matt ^^

I have owned and driven both 4 links and torque arms too.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash68 For This Useful Post:
68454RS (07-16-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 12:22 PM

This is our Sales Manager's '63 Nova. He was in our booth in Columbus. Before swapping to the T56 that is currently in the car he had a M21 with gear vendors in it. The only modification he made to the Torque Arm kit was removing the driveshaft loop.

-J
Old 07-17-2019, 01:38 PM

That stuff all looks right in the place where you would run the exhaust on a Camaro.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
That stuff all looks right in the place where you would run the exhaust on a Camaro.
The Camaro crossmembers tuck up closer to the floorboards at the bends. Evan's car has a full 3" exhaust and his car sits very low.

Last edited by TCI Engineering; 07-17-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCI Engineering View Post
The Camaro crossmembers tuck up closer to the floorboards at the bends. Evan's car has a full 3" exhaust and his car sits very low.
Can you post pics of the Camaro set-up with exhaust in place for reference?
that would be very helpful!
Old 07-17-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
Can you post pics of the Camaro set-up with exhaust in place for reference?
that would be very helpful!
Here are some customer supplied photos that we have in our database. I tried to stick with 3" for this discussion.

& here are last year's Super Chevy entrants, Chad Ryker & Efrain Diaz. Both of which have our full suspension and 3" Mangaflow exhausts. There are pics of the underbellies in the gallery.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/1...ve-every-day#/

http://www.superchevy.com/features/1...day-supremacy/

-J