Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 01-26-2005, 08:50 PM

Default SMG trans

Is there a way i could put one of these behind a pontiac motor? i'm sure i would need custom parts, but would it work with the right amount of money? I been driving my buddies m3 and I love the car so much i want thats trans bad. any info would be great

Old 01-27-2005, 03:01 PM

Like you say with a great machinist and some heavy $$$$ or a great friend I dont see why not.BTW is this trans from a V-8 M or the older 6cyl?? Personally one of the best trans I have ever shifted is a Miata 5spd. to bad it wont take the power of a V-8.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:44 PM

it's from a 6 cy and the model is an 04 m3. it has like 330 hp, not bad. it feels pretty quick. I'm also wondering what the limit of hp is on a trans like that. I tried calling a bmw tech and could not get a straight answer on how much hp it can handle
Old 02-01-2005, 04:20 PM

Unlikely a BMW rep would provide any info relative to a retrofit, as this would increase their liability. Not to hijack a neat thread, but the VW/Audi Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG, or double clutch gearbox) beats the BMW-Ferrari SMG, & is probably the most advanced consumer gearbox technology.

BMW & Porsche are working on DSG technology for future cars. BMW will likely abandon SMG for DSG.

Here's how it works: at any given time a sum total of two gearsets are engaged. While accelerating, the gear you are in plus the next higher gear. While decelerating, the gear you are in plus the next lower gear. There are dual coaxial clutches. The clutch for the gearset you are in is engaged, the clutch for the secondary gearset is disengaged. When you need the next gearset, the only thing mechanically changed is the clutches, not the gearsets! Gear changes (actually clutch changes) are estimated to take only .03-.04 seconds, faster than SMG & way faster than any human can shift.

The sum total cars with DSG are the '04-'05 VW Beetle direct-injection turbo-diesel (about 105hp?) & '04-'05 Audi TT 3.2L (240hp). More VW DSG models will arrive for '06 models, including the all-new GTi arriving fall '05-winter '06. VW is publishing .3 seconds quicker 0-60mph times for the GTi with DSG (in automatic shift mode) vs. the fully old-style manual tranny (both are 6-speed same ratios). DSG can be left in fully automatic mode (which appears to work fine from the above spec) or in manual mode via steering wheel paddles.

Drive the Audi TT 3.2L DSG & report back to class!

BMW's all-new 400hp M3 V8 is coming probably next year, possibly with DSG option. It might be the first BMW Porsche 911-eater, for less money, & with more reliability.

Jim R., Petaluma CA
Old 02-01-2005, 04:35 PM

Damn jim thats some good info to know!! I will keep my eye out for that and see if I can test drive audi
Old 02-02-2005, 12:56 PM

I have had my eye on the next m3. I didn't know that BMW was that decisive on switching to the DSG tranny. Is that "sound" information? That would be great, the DSG technology has so much more of a future!
Old 02-02-2005, 08:22 PM

That DSG trans sounds like some cool sh&t but I would hate to "blow" one out $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$