Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-18-2019, 11:22 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Everytime I hear about how fast these cars are I always think, yeah, for about 5 minutes. Then you have to run home with your tail between your legs to spend 3 hours charging it.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:53 AM

I wonder about modding EVs. How long before some entrepreneur starts to offer hot rodded controllers/ motors/ wiring/ et.al. for various EVs? (maybe they already do?) After all, it will soon get old racing against a dozen other stock model 3s versus having yours souped up with the latest whizz bang goodies. And I suppose you'd carry some mondo generator with you to top off your batteries between rounds, right? And maybe you'd want/ need smaller batteries to reduce weight and only carry enough juice to make a round of racing, thus reducing 2-300 pounds of weight.
"I'm running Monster Power 1100 strand gold plated primary cable, an Edelbrock Victor 2100 Super E Controller, and a Tesla "S" 3 phase motor rewound by Don Hardy... AND it's all optimized by RSRT!"
Hey, this sounds like FUN!
But I digress...

'69 Camaro / 534 BBC / DSE Built
'67 C10 / LS-3 Magnuson / Roadster Shop Chassis
Old 04-19-2019, 10:12 AM

Default Electric cars vs Muscle cars

Buddy of mine said they are talking about
putting a super charging station at the track
for these guys. The early Tesla's were too
powerful and tearing up the transmissions.
They had to tone them down and beef them
up at the same time. Weakest link thing

Bob
Old 04-19-2019, 10:33 AM

The electric car and hybrid movement actually somewhat scares me. Not because of the cars themselves, but I fear one day people like us will be penalized somehow or be charged an insane amounts of money to operate our cars. I am in my early 30's and I sometimes wonder what it may be like 30 years from now.

Texas A&M Alumni
Old 04-19-2019, 09:52 PM

Frankly, who cares... who cares about any new car.

Most of the guys I run into trying to race me in some new car probably can't even find the hood latch.

I'm actually tired of it... some poseur buys a car, thinks hes a bad ass all of a sudden and starts harassing me? Please...
Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal87 View Post
The electric car and hybrid movement actually somewhat scares me. Not because of the cars themselves, but I fear one day people like us will be penalized somehow or be charged an insane amounts of money to operate our cars. I am in my early 30's and I sometimes wonder what it may be like 30 years from now.
I totally believe this will happen. I'm 51 and I've never seen society so eager to tell everyone else what to say and do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preston For This Useful Post:
69hugger (04-20-2019), Che70velle (04-21-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
I had this discussion recently with a friend.He's not into cars, drives to/ from work and hates every minute of it, he studies automation and is getting more and more involved with it and he's very enthusiastic that it'll take over completely within our lifetime. I hate the idea of it but with the safety results Tesla is already making, it will be a hard battle we will never win with insurance companies.
I think over a very long period we'll see a huge transition to electric automated cars, but they'll never get rid of petrol classics, motorbikes and everything else cool...they'll just make it far more expensive for us.
The Following User Says Thank You to slimjim For This Useful Post:
69hugger (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTM8Z View Post
Frankly, who cares... who cares about any new car.

Most of the guys I run into trying to race me in some new car probably can't even find the hood latch.

I'm actually tired of it... some poseur buys a car, thinks hes a bad ass all of a sudden and starts harassing me? Please...
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
I totally believe this will happen. I'm 51 and I've never seen society so eager to tell everyone else what to say and do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
I had this discussion recently with a friend.He's not into cars, drives to/ from work and hates every minute of it, he studies automation and is getting more and more involved with it and he's very enthusiastic that it'll take over completely within our lifetime. I hate the idea of it but with the safety results Tesla is already making, it will be a hard battle we will never win with insurance companies.
I think over a very long period we'll see a huge transition to electric automated cars, but they'll never get rid of petrol classics, motorbikes and everything else cool...they'll just make it far more expensive for us.

I agree with all of you, especially Preston, and it sickens me. I am in my mid-60's. Glad I won't see where this is all going to be in another 20-30 years.
30 years ago there were no computers, cell phones, climate change (as a religion), et al. Hell, 100 years ago the car was a new fangled thing that was outlawed from many towns or had to yield to horses.
The only constant is change.
Those "we" elect now see themselves as the great illuminati, and their vision is to create a protective society where everything is provided and there is no individualism.
But if "we" can't drive without looking at our phones for 5 minutes, (and we all see this every day) to see what Kim Kardashian is having for lunch, then I guess autonomous travel is inevitable.
My 30 something year old nephew lives in a Chicago suburb and sees driving in the same vein as taking out the garbage. Hates it, but a necessary evil. He hopes his current car is his last car. He would rather Uber than drive himself. And Uber will be one of the first to offer autonomous travel.
But this rant is going in a political direction....and we don't want that!

'69 Camaro / 534 BBC / DSE Built
'67 C10 / LS-3 Magnuson / Roadster Shop Chassis
Old 04-20-2019, 12:51 PM

It's not much different than horse and buggy to the model T, carbs to fuel injection, and big blocks to ls motors. We can accept change and be open to new and many times better ways or set in our ways and frustrated with society.

There are many times I don't enjoy driving. Bumper to bumper traffic for miles an d miles comes to mind. Think a Los Angeles freeway in rush hour traffic. There is a time and place for autonomous driving. Then all those cars and the smog. I remember the first time I went to LA in 2000. I was filling up my car and asked a local where the fire was, he told me it was just the smog. HA Can you imagine the LA freeway full of cars built in the 60's today? The population is growing rapidly which means we need to stay adaptable and find better ways.

I do hope that some type of grandfathering stays in place. I don't see anyway around it. A majority aren't going to be able to simply buy an electric car tomorrow.

I'd own a Tesla and I'd own a muscle car. They both serve a purpose.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:47 PM

Folks, sorry if I came off the wrong way with my earlier post...

A few hours earlier, I had just that type of thing happen...

Some dipsh!t in a newer Challenger tailgating me down the local blvd for a 1/2 mile or so....and after he couldn't provoke me into doing something, he goes crazy, blasting around me, nearly causing an accident as he's swerving in and out of cars.

Unfortunately that type of thing happens all too often around here in Los Angeles.

So I guess I was just venting a little with my post...