Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 07-09-2008, 11:54 PM

Default 1964 Chevelle what Vintage AC unit?

New to the board and looking to get some advise regading the best vintage AC unit to go with for size and performance. I already have the front runner kit for my engine so I will not need a compressor. My delema is that the firewall is already finished with the stock heater core and cover in place. I would like to try avoid removing the already painted heater core cover. I know the surefit comes with a replacement cover but for my application it just wouldnt look right.

My idea is to try and use the two existing holes for the water lines that feed the heater core at the firewall and then route the two AC lines around the fenderwell and hide them in the hidden area of the firewall near the old blower motor. Just wanted to know if anyone have ever accoplished anything like this or if it is even possible because of where the under dash unit needs to be placed.

Sorry for the lengthy post but any help would be appriciated. Under hood pics of any Chevelle with vintage air would also help get the ideas flowing.

On that note I have been browsing this site for along time now and finally have the car of my dreams to relate with you guys. rocks
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2008, 07:05 AM

Talk to Frank at Prodigy Customs. He will set you up with a custom GenIV system with everything you need.

Don
Old 07-11-2008, 09:23 AM

I did something similar with my '65, although I welded up the holes for the heater lines and ran all 4 lines under the passenger fender. I don't see why you couldn't run the heater hoses through the original holes and the AC lines under the fender. One of those 2-line bulkheads might help with cleanliness there.

On mine, I bought the square 4-line bulkhead and fabbed a plate to mount where the original blower motor went. I then cut a hole in the kickpanel to pass the lines through. It's not all hooked up just yet, but it allowed me to use the original heater box, which was part of my goal.

1965 Pontiac GTO - Paul Spotts 421 (433) w/Tripower, RamAir, 6X Heads / TKO600 / 3.90 Safe-T-Track / Vintage AC / Baer 4-wheel Discs / AGR PS / Hotchkis Bars, Shocks, Springs / SPC & BMR Control Arms / 17&18 Intro Vistas / GY F1GSD3 Redlines / '06 GTO Seats / Comp Audio
Other Rides: '59 Vette / '64 GTO (x2) / '65 GTO / '66 GTO / '66 Vette Roadster / '02 Vette / '07 Avalanche LTZ 6.0L / '08 Suzuki GSX-R750
Old 07-11-2008, 04:39 PM

Don
Thanks for the heads up on prodigy. Looks like a good resource for info and a very good place to get me a little deeper into debt.

Matt
You have givin me hope with your reply. I have talked to a couple shops here local and they cant give me the answer I am looking for. It seems they only do it 1 of 2 ways the surefit way or a smooth firewall with a 4 way bulkhead.

Do you have any pics? Also what unit are you using?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpro71 View Post
Matt
You have givin me hope with your reply. I have talked to a couple shops here local and they cant give me the answer I am looking for. It seems they only do it 1 of 2 ways the surefit way or a smooth firewall with a 4 way bulkhead.

Do you have any pics? Also what unit are you using?
I'm using a Gen II supercooler kit with a 14x24 condenser. These pics are about 2yrs old, but right now they're all I've got. First pic shows the factory heater hose holes welded up and getting prepped with bondo. Pic 2 is looking through the blower motor hole to see the hole I cut in the kickpanel area. Pic 3 is the bulkead and plate that I fabbed. Last pic is kinda hard to see, but you get the idea how it turned out and how the lines will run under the fender.
Attached Images

1965 Pontiac GTO - Paul Spotts 421 (433) w/Tripower, RamAir, 6X Heads / TKO600 / 3.90 Safe-T-Track / Vintage AC / Baer 4-wheel Discs / AGR PS / Hotchkis Bars, Shocks, Springs / SPC & BMR Control Arms / 17&18 Intro Vistas / GY F1GSD3 Redlines / '06 GTO Seats / Comp Audio
Other Rides: '59 Vette / '64 GTO (x2) / '65 GTO / '66 GTO / '66 Vette Roadster / '02 Vette / '07 Avalanche LTZ 6.0L / '08 Suzuki GSX-R750
Old 07-14-2008, 08:31 PM

Thanks Don, your commision check is in the mail

As Don mentioned, we do custom kits and are using the new Gen IV every chance we get. This Gen IV is just badd ass.

Call me if you need to discuss

four zero seven 832 1752