Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Track and Driving Events
User Name
Password

Old 03-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
That's a very telling statement.
Agreed.

The the heart, soul, and ultimate example of competitions like this from my perspective is the owner/builder/driver cars.

If I was someone with "unlimited" revenue and limited ability and had a desire to be the center of attention or accepted in the crowd outspending the true enthusiast would be easy prey. Buy a GTR send it to a top tuner, give them an unlimited buget and hire a hitman for a driver.

Well thought out Classes of Competition is probably the best solution to the issues as the event gains popularity.

In no way do I see the event dissolve due to dissension. The techie Vette's, Benz's, and GTR are very impressive but I have much more respect and appreciation for hands-on cars like Mark's, Brian's, Mary's, and numerous others.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFRESH View Post
You may be right Matt---yeah, quality time indeed. I guess i'm just surprised that they (Vette owners or any others) can't appreciate other makes/models or give credit to the fact that a 69 Camaro was actually in the hunt at Optima. I typically appreciate anything on the race track that's fast. If it looks good doing so, then I tend to love it even more. More than that, I can begin to appreciate the level of driver Mark S is and how well his car is put together since it was close to Danny's. I do love many of the Vette's i've seen ---Tony's (9 Ball) Vette that recently sold was one of my all time favorites--would love to have that car. I just happen to love 69 Camaro's over all others, but don't think they are the best cars on the planet for road racing, auto crossing, etc. I know from the stand point of physics, it just makes sense that a Vette out of the box is much more suited for actual track action--and obviously these guys are aware of their superiority in brand. Once again, it just took me a bit by surprise that they are that ego driven and so outspoken about it. Really turns me off from ever owning one. When I went to C&C this morning to help hand out fliers for RTTC. A guy took a flyer from me and said the following "It's just a bunch of old cars running around the track? All they are going to do is overheat and spew water everywhere--that's all they ever do--that's lame--and I supose you have one of these cars right?". I tried to explain to him that nowadays you can really up the game by swaping out to vette inspired suspension front and rear and that many of the cars run very fast. I asked him to at least come out to see for himself to which he responded "Why would I want to waste my time watching slow cars retrofitted with parts that make it a wanna be Vette?". Now, he had a friend, and they were both wearing those bright orange little driving shoes--and typically I wouldn't go there, but today was a special day as I am a bit burned out from life these past few months--(I should mention that the combined height of these fellows was about 6'5) so when he handed me back the flyer and said "Here, give it to someone who cares and good luck not overheating", I paused for a moment and something horrible happend next-----I said "Thanks Frodo and Sam, I should have told you that you have to be this high (held my hand to my waist) to get in anyways." Unfortunately there were several others present who witnessed this---they of course began roaring--and I mean roaring--it wasn't my best moment--but it just rubbed me the wrong way and I snapped---I happened to see them leave---just guess what kind of cars they drove away in?

Somehow, I feel a bit better about my response after seeing that Jody posted in their forum--I can't believe he did that---nice job Gandolf the White

D
I'm sure those tools would never comprehend that there is more money in these "old cars" that run with and beat vettes than was in the car Popp drove. This statement may not be true in every case, but I would say more often than not! And yes, the only driver permitted should be the registered owner!

Don't feel bad D they had it coming.

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
--(I should mention that the combined height of these fellows was about 6'5) so when he handed me back the flyer and said "Here, give it to someone who cares and good luck not overheating", I paused for a moment and something horrible happend next-----I said "Thanks Frodo and Sam, I should have told you that you have to be this high (held my hand to my waist) to get in anyways."
You're a rabid anti-shortite! Next thing you'll do is hand out flyers urging people to put them in their own schools!

Skip
Old 03-04-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compos mentis View Post
You're a rabid anti-shortite! Next thing you'll do is hand out flyers urging people to put them in their own schools!
LOL---The sea was angry that day my friends---like an old man trying to return soup at a deli.

Wish I could find that vid clip---

D
Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 AM

Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
LOL---The sea was angry that day my friends---like an old man trying to return soup at a deli.

Wish I could find that vid clip---

D
Google is your friend. Actually, as we now know... not at all.

No ones asking for Popp to autograph that Titleist!

Skip

Last edited by fleetus macmullitz; 03-04-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
You may be right Matt---yeah, quality time indeed. I guess i'm just surprised that they (Vette owners or any others) can't appreciate other makes/models or give credit to the fact that a 69 Camaro was actually in the hunt at Optima. I typically appreciate anything on the race track that's fast. If it looks good doing so, then I tend to love it even more. More than that, I can begin to appreciate the level of driver Mark S is and how well his car is put together since it was close to Danny's. I do love many of the Vette's i've seen ---Tony's (9 Ball) Vette that recently sold was one of my all time favorites--would love to have that car. I just happen to love 69 Camaro's over all others, but don't think they are the best cars on the planet for road racing, auto crossing, etc. I know from the stand point of physics, it just makes sense that a Vette out of the box is much more suited for actual track action--and obviously these guys are aware of their superiority in brand. Once again, it just took me a bit by surprise that they are that ego driven and so outspoken about it. Really turns me off from ever owning one. When I went to C&C this morning to help hand out fliers for RTTC. A guy took a flyer from me and said the following "It's just a bunch of old cars running around the track? All they are going to do is overheat and spew water everywhere--that's all they ever do--that's lame--and I supose you have one of these cars right?". I tried to explain to him that nowadays you can really up the game by swaping out to vette inspired suspension front and rear and that many of the cars run very fast. I asked him to at least come out to see for himself to which he responded "Why would I want to waste my time watching slow cars retrofitted with parts that make it a wanna be Vette?". Now, he had a friend, and they were both wearing those bright orange little driving shoes--and typically I wouldn't go there, but today was a special day as I am a bit burned out from life these past few months--(I should mention that the combined height of these fellows was about 6'5) so when he handed me back the flyer and said "Here, give it to someone who cares and good luck not overheating", I paused for a moment and something horrible happend next-----I said "Thanks Frodo and Sam, I should have told you that you have to be this high (held my hand to my waist) to get in anyways." Unfortunately there were several others present who witnessed this---they of course began roaring--and I mean roaring--it wasn't my best moment--but it just rubbed me the wrong way and I snapped---I happened to see them leave---just guess what kind of cars they drove away in?

Somehow, I feel a bit better about my response after seeing that Jody posted in their forum--I can't believe he did that---nice job Gandolf the White

D

Hum I'm guessing a cab after all those super light shoes help them get traction while running after it LOL,,,,, oh wait Dr. D,,, was that the tall one bending over to pick up a lost bus token LOL....
^5 buddy the sawed off little pricks needed a little reality check anyways (no pun intended LOL).....
-70 Z shell
-70 Formula shell
-70 Formula roller
-68 Eldorado
-67 Coupe De Ville convertible
Old 03-04-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:

D
Hey Doug, like what your daughter would have said...lol. One of my 4 yr old son's favorite lines is "seriously??" and would have been appropriate. In all seriousness, some people will never figure it out and it takes all kinds.

1989 Camaro RS
Old 03-04-2012, 03:35 PM

Oh NO !! The Corvette guy has stopped lurking and joined this board.....

I think there are some misconceptions here and people harping on one single comment, that I should not have made. Awful easy to take things out of context , try looking at page one of the thread on corvetteforum also.

Yes, I got "rich by winning the lottery" , and fielded a C6 Corvette at this years OUSCI, and I guess that I am guilty because we won with a "new" car. Nevermind any of the other new cars there this year, or that have competed in years past. Last I remember, this is not a Pro-Touring event, but a search for the Ultimate Street Car. I have watched this event as said for several years before I earned my invite. This was a privateer entry too, not some "in house" car or manufacturer car. With way less resources than some of the other top 10 cars.

Some of you have judged without knowing anything other than hearsay, and because I fielded a new car this year, I supposedly have no love for the older cars . Those that have cast stones do not know me very well. I am in FACT a lover of all cars, especially Chevrolet's, NEW and OLD. I cut my teeth in OLD GM products , C2's,C3's and 2nd gen Camaros. I still have the 1972 LT-1 Corvette and it will be making venues later this year. Brian Hobaugh remembers the car and knows that it is not slow. This Pro-Touring movement gives me an excuse to play with that car too and it will be a great time.

While I did make an off-handed comment , about the "autograph" on the side of Mark's car, I did not disrespect the fact that his car is an AMAZING piece, it is very well sorted, FAST , beautiful, well engineered and driven. I just thought the "autograph" was slightly grandious. I should not have said what I did, and for that I am sorry. Mark is a very worthy competitor, a great champion and is very worthy of all of his followers. I admire his creations myself and I am sure that I will continue to do so. With that said, Brian, Mary, Mike, also have built awesome cars as well as the other 90% of the cars that were at the OUSCI.

It seems as if some here are operating with chips on their shoulder because they run "old" cars and sometimes they let "new" cars run with them and then the old cars are at a distinct disadvantage. Well, I can tell you that mentality is not completely true. If any of you care to read page one of the above mentioned corvetteforum thread, I ran a bunch of the top pro-touring cars in July for the Chevy Hi-Performance Magazine shootout, and I was faster in three of the Pro-Touring cars than I was in Todd's Corvette. Testiments to the potential of some of these builds. I will agree that on a roadcourse the newer cars will enjoy an aero advantage, but that is it. No one with any of these builds is limited with suspension geometry, power, or technological advances such as ABS or TC. As the years progress the more mainstream this is going to become.

Anyhow, I did not come on here to create a war. Just to clear up some misconceptions and apologize publicly for the off-handed comment that I made on the corvetteforum about the "autograph". Again, sorry Mark and all on this board.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
I'm not lookin to be a sh!t starter here but I check out the autoX/road race section at Vetteforum fairly often and.....

Here's the Vette guys patting themselves on the back....

and a little cheap shot at Sielow by Popp in there too.... classy.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...eed-today.html
well, their cars haul ass................. I think Danny was just being funny, don't think he really was taking a shot at Mark. My reply over there was just to answer a guys question regarding hiring a pro to drive your car for you.

Danny's a pro level driver, as is Mark, Kyle, and a few others. I'm not sure that a 69 Camaro can ever run heads up on the road course with the new Vettes like what Danny drove. Aero, center of gravity, etc. are all against the older cars. You can make a 69 Camaro as light or lighter, but you'd still be in an uphill battle to beat a driver like Danny with a car like he had.

He deserved the win, and I think Mark was fine with it. I expect the rules will continue to be tweaked, and at some point it will be owner as the driver only. But for now those are the rules and he won fair and square.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

I was typing my reply above when you posted. Thanks for swinging by Danny.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit