Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 PM

something going on with all the pics? they wont come up
Old 08-17-2012, 09:00 PM

Today was a long day. My dad and I rented the U-haul car trailer and drove up to Mike Colletas to drop off the Corvette and removed the body from the old frame in preparation for the new Street Shop C6 chassis that will be delivered in the next couple or so weeks. I think it is a symbolic moment when the body is removed from the chassis.

I asked Mike to assess the old chassis as I will be selling it off. He stated it was in very good shape, very solid and original.

Here is the money shot....

Old 08-18-2012, 01:49 AM

not a chevy guy BUT loving this project!
Old 08-24-2012, 05:42 PM

My Street Shop Inc C6 Chassis for my 1964 C2 Corvette is finally done and is making its first public appearance at the 2012 Carlisle Corvette show this weekend before it gets transported to meet the C2 body that is currently being massaged by Mike Coletta in Florida.

This is a shot of Street Shop’s display booth at the show. My chassis is smack in the middle.

Here are some wide shots and close ups of my brand new completed chassis from the show grounds:

Dan

Old 09-09-2012, 06:09 PM

1964 Corvette Roadster on Street Shop C6 Chassis - Project Update

After a brief appearance at the Carlisle 2012 show, the chassis has finally made its way from Street Shop to Florida where it will finally meet up with the body. Unfortunately, the chassis arrived with a bent rear toe bar – arghh.

Our first challenge was to cut out the rear floor to allow for the rear C6 suspension and Viper rear end. The rear wheels are 18" x 9.5 with a 56 offset that has proven to be some work to allow for the wheel to work with suspension travel as well as allowing the convertible top frame to lay flat. With the Street Shop C6 chassis, the company states you can fit 10.5 or even wider wheels (which is true), but this is not a plug and play scenario. With Coupes – no problem, you have plenty of room, with convertibles you have to be careful to allow for the convertible frame to fit as the 63-67 convertibles do have different wheel wells and limited room as it is shared with the convertible top bow. In the end, new wheel wells were formed to allow about 3” of total up and down movement.
Had I purchased 8.5 wheels versus 9.5, I would not have had this issue.

Next was a minor issue with the driveshaft setup provided by Street Shop Inc. As you can see from this underside picture, it rubs against the body (the body is completely centered onto the frame). A small pocket was created to accommodate the driveshaft.

This is how the body now fits on the Street Shop Inc chassis.

Regards,
Dan
www.vetterodder.com
www.facebook.com/vetterodder
Old 09-09-2012, 06:41 PM

Looking good!

69 Camaro PT project- LS3/4L70e, Budnik's, Ridetech, Speedtech, Wilwood, DSE tubs, 4 link, shortened Moser 12 bolt- in progress
Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw2006 View Post
Looking good!
Thanks so much - as I have mentioned before - your 63 was a helpful thread to follow in planning out my RestoMod. It should be in primer in about a week so the pace is brisk in an attempt to finish by Thanksgiving.

I did not know you have a 69 Camaro too! Cool!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:59 PM

Hi Dan !

Love the build and that chassis and drivetrain are beautiful man !

The company I worked for built several C2 with SR3 and Street Shop chassis. Have you looked into wide body C2 quarters ? They give a slight increase in the fender well/lip area and give ya about 2 more inches. The mods you're into right now are normal. The SR3 chassis has ya cutting even more to get the upper tubes in there. We also move the wall behind the seats back 3 inches so a taller person could get the seat back farther, you'll need to move the seat tracks and mounts back too...

One of ours had a 500 hp LS7 and it was a blast to drive !! Keep up the great work and enjoy !!!!

Jim

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=5109
Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Dog 65 View Post
Hi Dan !

Love the build and that chassis and drivetrain are beautiful man !

The company I worked for built several C2 with SR3 and Street Shop chassis. Have you looked into wide body C2 quarters ? They give a slight increase in the fender well/lip area and give ya about 2 more inches. The mods you're into right now are normal. The SR3 chassis has ya cutting even more to get the upper tubes in there. We also move the wall behind the seats back 3 inches so a taller person could get the seat back farther, you'll need to move the seat tracks and mounts back too...

One of ours had a 500 hp LS7 and it was a blast to drive !! Keep up the great work and enjoy !!!!

Jim
Jim:
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I thought about the wider rear quarters but struggled with keeping a balance between modern and classic styling. In the end, I wanted to retain the original body lines and have the fun underneath with the chassis and engine combo.
The LS3 for example is plenty powerful for me as I want something that is quite "street-able"
I know I give up some bragging rights not having the LS7 or LS9 but that is OK too.

Dan
Old 09-12-2012, 02:32 PM

Here’s what I was talking about Dan. We put the wider fenders on it and the C5 Zo6 wheels tucked right up in there with plenty of room.

And the LS3 in your ride will be more than enough !!!

You will really enjoy your car.

Jim

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=5109