Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 10-28-2013, 01:29 PM

Default 16 volt battery?

After some searching on the forum, it doesnt appear that many or any people run a 16 volt system. Can anyone tell me why? I know that 16v is far superior for cranking. I have asked the same on the other forum. TIA
Old 10-28-2013, 02:41 PM

considering everything is designed for 12vdc it wouldn't be practical. You'd get stuck swapping out all the bulbs, electric motors, sensors etc etc etc.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:14 PM

Not accurate info there, many drag racers use 16v with factory lighting.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:06 AM

Apparently I was under the misinformation they use 16v systems to run an engine without an alternator.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:23 PM

Some do and some don't. Thats where my concern is. I dont believe the 16v itself is a problem but the alternating current could possibly spike to a harmful level. I have read that the main concern is bulbs not lasting long and "cheaper" components. I dont know if flex a lite fans would fall into the "cheaper" category or not. I was hoping to find some folks with real world experience and report back. I imagine I will be doing very little night driving, so the bulbs shouldnt be a big concern.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I don't know much, but logically thinking, I would assume drag racers aren't driving there cars for long periods of times like we would. Nor, do they have radios, A/C, etc. All of the things that a driver would have, which, as someone already stated, is designed to run of 14v. Unless you have a killer sound system with lots of amps and other power robbing amenities, I would assume 16v would be overkill. Instead of a 16v battery, just bump up the amps on your alternator. Like, maybe say a 250-275 amp. That's what I'm gonna do.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrider69 View Post
After some searching on the forum, it doesnt appear that many or any people run a 16 volt system. Can anyone tell me why? I know that 16v is far superior for cranking. I have asked the same on the other forum. TIA
why do you feel that higher voltage is superior for cranking? current would be the main factor for "better" cranking.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_fx View Post
why do you feel that higher voltage is superior for cranking? current would be the main factor for "better" cranking.
Ran 16 volt batteries in all my race cars. No alternators. Your gauge lighting will be noticeably brighter, and the starter will turn the engine over very quickly.
When I bought my first 16 volt battery, the salesman told me "if the engine is seized and you try to start it, it will spin the entire car over". Of course he's joking, but he's trying to emphasize to me about the difference in starter speed. I didn't believe him. Until I installed the battery. Wow, what a difference.
The real reason we ran them was even if fully discharged at the end of a big event (125 laps) the batteries still produced around 12 volts.
And my cars would turn another 300 rpm on the straights, with only a battery change. My brother even said that the exhaust note sounded different with the 16 volt units.
Our cars had no electronics, except ignition systems. Our radios had their own batteries. I have no idea what a 16 volt battery would do to an ECM, or other electronics, so do your homework if your putting a 16 volt battery in a street car.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 PM

Most electronics have a range of voltage that they will work on. Not just a nominal 12 volt, but I can't seem to find specs without calling manufacturers. As already stated, there are many, and I would lean to say MOST drag racers that use 16v. With and without alternators. It also appears that 16v has become the go to for car audio competition. Car audio folks are a good mix of purpose built and daily drivers.

I know from experience with quite a few drag cars, that msd, big stuff, race pak, nitrous, and many other products including lighting, work better and virtually flawless. I'm just trying to understand/figure out why it isn't talked about much for serious street.

There is a major difference between 12 and 16 when it comes to cranking a big inch motor with big compression. Guy above obviously knows.

I do appreciate all the input, we may get to the bottom of this. Then the search function can return something useful.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 PM

From the mad electrical site...

With most applications, the battery likes about 14.2 volts from the alternator and voltage regulator system, when driving. Since the system must operate at about 14volts, electrical parts are designed for best performance and longest life when operating at about 14 volts. The parts can generally withstand 15volts (or more), although sometimes parts run hot or don’t last as long at stress level voltages.