Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-30-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellPhish89 View Post
That spindle does provide a decent start point. The biggest improvement that can be made I can see is moving/shortening the steering arm.

I would love to see X-Rays of those welds. After seeing the failure on the non-road race version on TGO (yea, I know, he didnt take heed to the warning on their website) I have suspicions. I feel like a fabricated spindle like that should be welded to the same strict standards that are used for AWS D1.1 3G and 4G tests or something similar to it.
I've had both the drag and roadrace versions in-hand. I'm confident with the beefier roadrace version! Yeah, the other guy road raced the drag version, and refused the upgrade when it was offered to him (post failure). I keep it bare to make it easier to inspect. RaceCraft put their best guy on these. I feel fortunate to have them.

I do wonder about aftermarket tie rod ends that might allow me to fit them inside an 18" barrel...hmmm....But I do prefer 17's and some sidewall at Road America. Technology improves and offers alternatives.

By altering the steering arm, you mess with the angle of the tie rods. Then you could alter the drag link to compensate, but.....then I'd get lost and over my head. Here is a crude drawing of the front steer.

This proposed set-up is a clean sheet design and looks promising! I'll look-on with envy, but it's beyond my finances.

I do tour with my car - want to drive it in all the lower 48 states. I have MS & LA (Nawlins trip), and a New England trip (everything North of Yankee stadium) left. Delaware was difficult to incorporate, but I did it. I don't think 315's will be practical for touring. Though this design will keep them flat.

For now, I try to keep scrub close to zero by 8" wheels, SAI mods, and use moderate camber. The drop spindles and lower PHB help the roll axis inclination, also. And, I continually look for ways to be able to go wider, but I drive my car alot - 240k and counting (all mine, original owner). I'm lucky to see one HPDE a year. These cars are fun to drive, and with low unsprung weight and an LS2, it has exceeded my expectations.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2017, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula364 View Post
I've had both the drag and roadrace versions in-hand. I'm confident with the beefier roadrace version! Yeah, the other guy road raced the drag version, and refused the upgrade when it was offered to him (post failure). I keep it bare to make it easier to inspect. RaceCraft put their best guy on these. I feel fortunate to have them.

I do wonder about aftermarket tie rod ends that might allow me to fit them inside an 18" barrel...hmmm....But I do prefer 17's and some sidewall at Road America. Technology improves and offers alternatives.

By altering the steering arm, you mess with the angle of the tie rods. Then you could alter the drag link to compensate, but.....then I'd get lost and over my head. Here is a crude drawing of the front steer.

<snip>
shorter/repositioned steering arm would mean more affordable rack and pinion options. that would be the reason for an option for the redesigned arm for me.

Sounds like you made your bird a hell of a GT car.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:48 AM

Someone over on FRRAX has the stock spindle blueprint:
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2017, 02:17 AM

We've a got a pretty well handling one as a sort of sponsored shop project.

Blake and Ben:
These cars would need body modification to fit the 315s in the back. The tubs need some alteration. We have 275s all the way around, no rubs on a factory body. Actually, they may need modification in the front, too. The wheel wells may not be wide enough to allow a 315 to sweep. I know we're dangerously close to rubbing the body kit wit our 275s.

Also, we dropped an LS and t56 into this car. We used the 4th gen Camaro rear end and torque arm along with the swap. Bolts on. The trans mount is fabbed, engine mounts are from Hawks Third Gen.

Exhaust clearance is a big issue on these cars. There's not room to go duals over the top if you have the panhard bar in place. We went with a Fays2 Watts link and elected to dump the exhaust before the rear end. In factory form, they have a weird pocket under the passenger front floorboard where the catalytic converter lived.
After that, there's no reliefs in the floor to fit exhaust. Adding a torque arm further cramped our room.

But just so you know, a 4th gen tank will drop in place of the third gen unit and you can sorta reuse most of the fuel lines as they are. Makes that bit a no brainer. Also, the pedals from a 4th gen will slide in place of the third gen stuff.. so you can use the stock clutch master.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:02 AM

Great info, thanks!
Old 06-12-2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsgarage View Post
We've a got a pretty well handling one as a sort of sponsored shop project.

Blake and Ben:
These cars would need body modification to fit the 315s in the back. The tubs need some alteration. We have 275s all the way around, no rubs on a factory body. Actually, they may need modification in the front, too. The wheel wells may not be wide enough to allow a 315 to sweep. I know we're dangerously close to rubbing the body kit wit our 275s.

Also, we dropped an LS and t56 into this car. We used the 4th gen Camaro rear end and torque arm along with the swap. Bolts on. The trans mount is fabbed, engine mounts are from Hawks Third Gen.

Exhaust clearance is a big issue on these cars. There's not room to go duals over the top if you have the panhard bar in place. We went with a Fays2 Watts link and elected to dump the exhaust before the rear end. In factory form, they have a weird pocket under the passenger front floorboard where the catalytic converter lived.
After that, there's no reliefs in the floor to fit exhaust. Adding a torque arm further cramped our room.

But just so you know, a 4th gen tank will drop in place of the third gen unit and you can sorta reuse most of the fuel lines as they are. Makes that bit a no brainer. Also, the pedals from a 4th gen will slide in place of the third gen stuff.. so you can use the stock clutch master.
Hooker makes an over the axle true dual system for 3rd gen now.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:57 AM

Hey all you 3rd gen guys, the time has arrived to resurrect this thread! After getting a bunch of other projects finished up and launching a new ExtReme chassis for 64-67 Chevelles, '60-66 C10s, and '53-56 Ford F100's we're ready to get back to the mullet racer '91 Camaro platform. As has been said this is a great car to begin with, they're out there to be had at still reasonable prices, they come with a liot of attached memories as they were prowling the streets when many of us were at a great time of our lives, and hey, they really aren't bad looking when you get rid of the overly fat protruding rear tires and stick on auto parts store bling aisle specials.

With that in mind we're heading forward to completely redesigning the platform, adapting our proven to be the best overall design in Pro-Touring suspension into the 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird platform. You'll see the same layout found in previous ExtReme platforms of upper and lower control arms with all that leading edge geometry, and at this point we're after 315 tires up front. Again we're proposing this won't be just replacement parts that improve over factory performance a little, we're after the best street suspension upgrade on the market. Check out the pics to get the thread started and stay tuned as it all unfolds!

Old 07-06-2018, 10:58 AM

Old 07-06-2018, 03:45 PM

Nice, can't wait to see more!
Old 07-08-2018, 08:15 AM

Ben,
Good luck in your new business.

Blake,
Can we count on you to keep us updated on this project? I'm not to far behind you with my project and I'd love to see this package before I have to move forward with a stock style suspension.

Last edited by RT_66_Pro_Touring; 07-08-2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Image