Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Events > Track and Driving Events
User Name
Password

Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69MSA View Post
I still think late model Camaro and Mustang guys are worse, on average. I know you spent some quality time making friends with the Camaro 5 guys on the way to Arizona. On my Mustang I have tinted windows... because I'm almost embarrassed to be seen

Matt
You may be right Matt---yeah, quality time indeed. I guess i'm just surprised that they (Vette owners or any others) can't appreciate other makes/models or give credit to the fact that a 69 Camaro was actually in the hunt at Optima. I typically appreciate anything on the race track that's fast. If it looks good doing so, then I tend to love it even more. More than that, I can begin to appreciate the level of driver Mark S is and how well his car is put together since it was close to Danny's. I do love many of the Vette's i've seen ---Tony's (9 Ball) Vette that recently sold was one of my all time favorites--would love to have that car. I just happen to love 69 Camaro's over all others, but don't think they are the best cars on the planet for road racing, auto crossing, etc. I know from the stand point of physics, it just makes sense that a Vette out of the box is much more suited for actual track action--and obviously these guys are aware of their superiority in brand. Once again, it just took me a bit by surprise that they are that ego driven and so outspoken about it. Really turns me off from ever owning one. When I went to C&C this morning to help hand out fliers for RTTC. A guy took a flyer from me and said the following "It's just a bunch of old cars running around the track? All they are going to do is overheat and spew water everywhere--that's all they ever do--that's lame--and I supose you have one of these cars right?". I tried to explain to him that nowadays you can really up the game by swaping out to vette inspired suspension front and rear and that many of the cars run very fast. I asked him to at least come out to see for himself to which he responded "Why would I want to waste my time watching slow cars retrofitted with parts that make it a wanna be Vette?". Now, he had a friend, and they were both wearing those bright orange little driving shoes--and typically I wouldn't go there, but today was a special day as I am a bit burned out from life these past few months--(I should mention that the combined height of these fellows was about 6'5) so when he handed me back the flyer and said "Here, give it to someone who cares and good luck not overheating", I paused for a moment and something horrible happend next-----I said "Thanks Frodo and Sam, I should have told you that you have to be this high (held my hand to my waist) to get in anyways." Unfortunately there were several others present who witnessed this---they of course began roaring--and I mean roaring--it wasn't my best moment--but it just rubbed me the wrong way and I snapped---I happened to see them leave---just guess what kind of cars they drove away in?

Somehow, I feel a bit better about my response after seeing that Jody posted in their forum--I can't believe he did that---nice job Gandolf the White

D
Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 PM

Thanked 1,267 Times in 479 Posts

If anybody cares...Stielow did not autograph his car. Someone else designed that whole graphics package and I thought it looked pretty cool. Stielow felt a little weird having his name on his car but the package was already done. Maybe someday ifDanny does all Stielow has done someone will put his name on his car also. The cool part about Red Devil is it is a nice quiet road car that can also kick ass on the track.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:54 PM

Pretty simple to me, these poindexters understanding of cars barely exceeds reeding a dip stick and where you put the key. VERY FEW understand what it takes to build Red Devil and pilot it on that level. Very few even in our own world. I said it and it started a down hill slide last time. He did it with a car in the most pro touring sense, in my mind.

The 67 will be lighter and more radical and I think it's fair. When you're competing against physics, you have to gain and advantage somewhere else.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
If anybody cares...Stielow did not autograph his car. Someone else designed that whole graphics package and I thought it looked pretty cool. Stielow felt a little weird having his name on his car but the package was already done. Maybe someday ifDanny does all Stielow has done someone will put his name on his car also. The cool part about Red Devil is it is a nice quiet road car that can also kick ass on the track.
Funny part is - graphics or not - Mark Stielow is a 'brand' and having his name on a car is part of it. D Popp could be, but he's not yet. Maybe after a book or two, twelve (?) documented builds, invites to every major show in the country, SEMA displays, a video game modeled after his car, and so on. Much repsect to Danny, of course. It's just the way it is.

EDIT: And an OPTIMA commercial!

Last edited by Ron in SoCal; 03-04-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFRESH View Post
You may be right Matt---yeah, quality time indeed. I guess i'm just surprised that they (Vette owners or any others) can't appreciate other makes/models or give credit to the fact that a 69 Camaro was actually in the hunt at Optima. I typically appreciate anything on the race track that's fast. If it looks good doing so, then I tend to love it even more. More than that, I can begin to appreciate the level of driver Mark S is and how well his car is put together since it was close to Danny's. I do love many of the Vette's i've seen ---Tony's (9 Ball) Vette that recently sold was one of my all time favorites--would love to have that car. I just happen to love 69 Camaro's over all others, but don't think they are the best cars on the planet for road racing, auto crossing, etc. I know from the stand point of physics, it just makes sense that a Vette out of the box is much more suited for actual track action--and obviously these guys are aware of their superiority in brand. Once again, it just took me a bit by surprise that they are that ego driven and so outspoken about it. Really turns me off from ever owning one. When I went to C&C this morning to help hand out fliers for RTTC. A guy took a flyer from me and said the following "It's just a bunch of old cars running around the track? All they are going to do is overheat and spew water everywhere--that's all they ever do--that's lame--and I supose you have one of these cars right?". I tried to explain to him that nowadays you can really up the game by swaping out to vette inspired suspension front and rear and that many of the cars run very fast. I asked him to at least come out to see for himself to which he responded "Why would I want to waste my time watching slow cars retrofitted with parts that make it a wanna be Vette?". Now, he had a friend, and they were both wearing those bright orange little driving shoes--and typically I wouldn't go there, but today was a special day as I am a bit burned out from life these past few months--(I should mention that the combined height of these fellows was about 6'5) so when he handed me back the flyer and said "Here, give it to someone who cares and good luck not overheating", I paused for a moment and something horrible happend next-----I said "Thanks Frodo and Sam, I should have told you that you have to be this high (held my hand to my waist) to get in anyways." Unfortunately there were several others present who witnessed this---they of course began roaring--and I mean roaring--it wasn't my best moment--but it just rubbed me the wrong way and I snapped---I happened to see them leave---just guess what kind of cars they drove away in?

Somehow, I feel a bit better about my response after seeing that Jody posted in their forum--I can't believe he did that---nice job Gandolf the White

D
Dude, that is a great story. Would pay to have seen that in person.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 03-04-2012, 12:27 AM

That a boy...
Old 03-04-2012, 12:50 AM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,343 Posts

Dub Renner is following some big footsteps to fast becoming one of the states great spokesmans for the hobby.

Skip
Old 03-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:

D
Oh man, that story cracked me up. I swear, those cars and coffee guys are out to get you. We need to get you Ferrari shoes so you blend in better. And as for Frodo and sam... two guys, orange little shoes - I'm guessing a Mustang GT, a yellow convertible 'Vette or a Miata.

Matt
Old 03-04-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:

D
That is funny

It is a bummer some guys are like that and the guy's over on the vette forum. IMO I think the OUSCI should be owner/driver only. Three of the four years have been won by a non owner. I thought that after the first year also.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_a View Post
Three of the four years have been won by a non owner.
That's a very telling statement.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer