Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-01-2019, 09:50 AM

Those B pillar supports are sweet!!

Charley was able to paint the top of my main hoop while it was tilted forward before welding it back in place. That helped a ton... Are you going to fab a package tray where rear seat was or put seat back in around the down bars?
Old 01-01-2019, 10:35 AM

Wow! Awesome job man. Love the choice on the paint color for the cage, it looks really nice.

The Toys -

1968 Camaro
1968 C10
1969 Dodge Sweptline
2014 Porsche 911 Carrera S (sold)
2009 Corvette ZR1
Old 01-03-2019, 07:56 PM

That is awesome: first brown roll bar known to man (on purpose). I love the maintenance of original color choices here--styling choices are on point!

Can't wait to see this thing under pressure!
Old 01-03-2019, 08:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

Sean it looks great and the brown roll bar reminds me of a Singer Porsche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 01-04-2019, 06:25 AM

I would not have thought of making the cage match the interior but it works really well. Gives it a higher class look that goes with the car and your build quality.

The B pillar tie in looks really nice and should add a lot of strength you will hopefully never need. Gotta love those dimple dies.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:23 AM

What a great idea. Looks killer.

A poor man's Singer.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 01-12-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMillwheels View Post
Wow! Awesome job man. Love the choice on the paint color for the cage, it looks really nice.
Haha, thanks man, happy with the cage color interior should be a cool touch when compared to the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
That is awesome: first brown roll bar known to man (on purpose). I love the maintenance of original color choices here--styling choices are on point!

Can't wait to see this thing under pressure!
Thanks man, You and me both, starting to get sick of working on it and want to get it out and use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Sean it looks great and the brown roll bar reminds me of a Singer Porsche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have no idea how much time I have spent looking at those interiors, glad you picked up on my influence, means I am doing something right =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
I would not have thought of making the cage match the interior but it works really well. Gives it a higher class look that goes with the car and your build quality.

The B pillar tie in looks really nice and should add a lot of strength you will hopefully never need. Gotta love those dimple dies.
Thanks, yeah had some good coaches along the way, happy with how it came out for a novice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
What a great idea. Looks killer.

A poor man's Singer.
Thanks....Funny to even consider Volvo and Singer in the same sentence....

Been battling with motivation a lot lately. It seems like you make a dent on some major project then there is another major one right in front of you. I just want to go for a cruise in something cool talk cars with some car people and then Ill be fine for a while.

Managed to use my neighbors lift to get the exhaust all fabricated. I should have ordered a few more u bends to make the offsets proper instead of having to pie cut them but I was in a time crunch to get it off the lift and back into my shop so it will have to do.

Vibrant stainless pipe and mandrel u bends, vibrant interconnecting v band flanges, 2.5 on the crossover 3" out of the muffler and over the axle. Its very tight back there, exhaust tucks up very nicely though and I like the idea of a tailpipe.

Car looks good from this view so I snapped a pic =)

I have practiced on the tig on stainless and just could not get to the point where I was comfortable not ****ing this up. I dropped off the exhaust to a buddy to get welded out this morning, he is far more capable than I am. Should have it back in the next few days and fit up.

Onto the task I have been dreading for months, closing up the massive gap in the rear fenders from pushing the quarters out an inch.

Got some ****ty shrinker and stretcher from HF and had some 16ga sheetmetal sheared up and bent into a 3/4x3/4" Flange or 90. In case you are wondering, these pieces were cut into 6' lengths.

got to work trying to figure out how to do this, Got the hang of it pretty fast and got the flange that will be welded to the quarter panels built so started getting the sheetmetal all cleaned up, void of any paint and getting a nice flange on the inside of the wheelwel so I have something to land it on.

You can see that there is a compound bend but it fits the inside of the quarter panel perfectly.

The next 3 or 4 hours were spent fitting up a patch piece that would tie this all together. All in all it came out very well for me not being a sheetmetal guy or a body guy I am very happy. Its very solid, i used my hole punch/flange tool to knock out all the holes to plug weld to the car, its very solid and should seal up like OEM once I get the other side done and throw some seam sealer on. Now to do the other side.

This little burn from last night is impeding my progress today never thought such a small burn could be so damn painful.

Hope to make some more progress on it again soon.......crown vic swap and c notch on an old F100 tomorrow.

Sean
Old 01-13-2019, 07:44 PM

Nice progress. Sorry about the burn. Looks like you caught some slag with the wrong side of your glove.
hackster (01-21-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 01:54 PM

this thing is awesome

69 pro touring camaro - Agent orange
2019 Z06 corvette
The Following User Says Thank You to rideordie28 For This Useful Post:
hackster (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
Nice progress. Sorry about the burn. Looks like you caught some slag with the wrong side of your glove.
Exactly......I cannot imagine the pain that people that get real burns go through, has got to be horrible. Its a week later and its still gnarly. Thanks for the props, I am not sheetmetal guy so this is tough work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideordie28 View Post
this thing is awesome
Thanks man, I hope I get to spend more time enjoying it than working on it =)

Managed to get a little time yesterday to get the passenger side a little closer. If you are attempting to do this at home my method was pretty good. I left about .5" flange from where the inner and outer wheel tubs meet, it gave me a nice place to be able to spot weld my sheetmetal to after folding lip on the arched part with a hammer and dolly.

These are what I ended up spot welding to the actual quarter panel. THe are rolled in two different directions to fit the quarter panel exactly. They are broken up into three pieces to clear the inner body support that is up there. I wanted to be high enough that I never had a clearance problem even if I flared the car.

Once you have the outer portion of the wheelwell cut out, all the tedious tasks begin getting rid of all the little pieces, trimming to get a nice edge. I believe I am pushed out about an inch and a quarter from stock. I have plenty of room for a 275 on a 10"" wheel.

New flange welded to quarter panel.

I got all three tacked in place last night now I need to build the filler panels on the inside. I am going to do this side in 2 pieces with a seam at the top. Working with one long piece on the other side proved to be a pain in the ass for no real reason other than a seam at the top of the wheelwell that will get seam sealed just like the rest of this.

I am really hoping to be done with this part of the car this week as I have to get wheels ordered in order for them to be here by LS Fest.
The Following User Says Thank You to hackster For This Useful Post:
Newby (02-02-2019)