Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-24-2010, 04:21 PM

Default '05 Vette build thread

Second - post so not sure if this is welcome here?

Anyways - I saw a lot of your cars on the PT, and talked to a few of you so I figured I'd post some pics and share the story of my C6 that I've been working on for the last 3 years.

I bought this car on July 4, 2007 down in Atlanta GA. I bought the car with 7k miles on it, and have enjoyed it ever since.

Heres what it looks like now. Still all dirty and nasty from the 3500 miles I put on the car from the PT, as well as beating on it at the RideTech Autox.

This is from Food Lion Auto Fair back in April -

Its far from stock - has a lot of bolt ons and upgrades that should have came with the car. I've installed C6 z06 brakes, Zr1 repo wheels, Vararam intake, full LS7 exhaust - from manifolds to mufflers, some leather goodies on the inside, and a full GM nav unit that I used heavily on the PT.

Heres a shot of the brakes:

Again this is a feeler post, if its not welcome I'll go back in the corner and hide.

Otherwise I'll post more.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:56 PM

I, for one, love late model 'Vettes. Tell us more. Any engine upgrades planned? I think I remember your car from the hotel outside of Bristol on the '09 Power Tour.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:09 PM

keep the updates coming
Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 PM

love vettes!

i had an 04' Z06 that was pretty modded. just toss a big cam and a set of longtubes on that thing and call it good. pleeeeenty of power to be had from cammed LS2
Old 06-25-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil B View Post
I, for one, love late model 'Vettes. Tell us more. Any engine upgrades planned? I think I remember your car from the hotel outside of Bristol on the '09 Power Tour.
Yes - I stayed in a Quality Suites or something like that in Johnson City on the last night of the PT 2009 in Bristol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTDANCER View Post
keep the updates coming
Will do.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:23 PM

On with the build pics.

Its a Z51 equipped car with all options except OnStar and Nav. Its got a T56 and heads up display.

Heres some pics of the day I got it... bone stock!

Yes the dealer sticker is long gone!

About 2 months after I owned the car, I ordered a Vararam Intake, and a CAGS! delete... stupidest system ever put on a Stick shift car!

Fast foward to Spring of '08.. entered my first car show... yeah didnt win anything, oh well.

I joined a Charlotte Corvette club in 2008, I've gone to many car shows, cruised all around NC and SC, and raced on LMS, and enjoyed a few mountain runs.

Misc pics..

Lowes Motor Speedway - Dec 2008

100 mph+ ON LMS, it was a freaking blast, I definitely recommend it to anyone!

So my Runcraps where kinda worn in the back from all the driving around, and then I got a flat on I485 near Charlotte so I was lucky to drive on the flat runcrap and got home. This started a chain reaction.

Since I needed new rear tires, I got some BF Goordrich KDW2's, not only did they handle a hell of a lot better, they where a lot quieter!

New Rears....

Feb 2009...
There was a local car club going to a dyno shop, so I put it on the rollers and see what she put down.

Car put down 375 rwhp & 374 rwtq... Not bad for being on stock tune and just an intake!

Fast forward to Spring 2009....
I ran the mismatched tires for awhile, and was cleaning up my car when I noticed the fronts where corded!

So I ordered some wheels from a Vette vendor, ordered new front tires from Discount tire... and off to the tire shop I go!

Old 06-25-2010, 04:24 PM

I ordered some Repo ZR1 style wheels that fit flush with the fender... and they just happen to clear these....

So with 8 weeks before the 2009 Hot Rod Power Tour - which btw I registered at the last minute and still got decent rooms.... I ordered the C6 Z06 brakes... well West Coast Corvettes had them on backorder for 6 weeks... I literally bolted them on the Week before the Power Tour... I guess a 4k mile road trip is the proper way to bed in the pads..

& finished product...

Power Tour '09...
Entering WI

Madison

Seated Pads in Madison...

Highway between Somerset KY & Bristol

Bristol

Fast fwd to Summer 2009...
After going on the Power Tour, and hearing all these badass V8's I was ?ber jealous of the nasty exhaust systems that I heard, and too be honest GM really boned the exhaust system on the LS2. 2.5" exhaust? Come on now... I researched a lot of different exhausts for the Vettes, and the prices are sky high! $2000 for 6 feet of pipe (Corsa, Borla, etc) well I say F that! Someone at a car show said look into the LS7 exhaust... so after piecing together a full z06 exhaust kit off ebay, Corvetteforums, and other places... I finally had a complete setup.
LS7 kit...

If you look at the LS7 manifolds, they are brand new! Never fired, I found them for $100 shipped off ebay from a first gen Camaro LS7 swap! Also the setup gives about ~30 rwhp on the Dyno, and sounds badass. I ordered the Mild2Wild kit and I can open up the LS7 exhaust butterfly valves at any time... They drone on the highway like a B, so thank god I can quiet it down. Especially with my pending 5k mile trip for Power Tour '10! Oh forgot to add.. only paid $750 for Z06 exhaust from manifold to tips, and yes I installed them myself... I think the pics are on facebook, I'll add later!

& this is the car back in October on the top of Beech Mountain north of Banner Elk, NC... its 5000' up!

So thats all I've got done so far... Ive got the a lot more stuff to bolt on, but I'm in the middle of buying a house so parts are sitting in storage....

LS7 Crate engine delivery...

HAH, I wish... z06 rear fenders I got for CHEAP from ebay.

Frageeeelaayyyyyyyy.... Must be Italian or something...

Nah... Z06 front Carbon fiber fender...

I''ll be upgrading to a Full Z06 body kit... No I will not be adding the damn z06 badges, I hate the stock coupe look!
Old 06-25-2010, 04:30 PM

Z06 Competition Grey wheels - I have these shipping from Cleveland Pick A Part today!

Hopefully next year, want to get a Edelbrock E-force Supercharger for the LS3, I'll be upgrading to L92/LS3 heads with that swap!

Something arrived from those guys in the big brown trucks today...

CNC ported L92 heads!

I packed/moved/unpacked - and finally got the Vette over to my new house. I found a 4 bedroom house here in Charlotte for very cheap, and couldnt pass up the deal. Plus I qualifed for the first home owner tax credit, so I'm expecting that in a few weeks.

Pic of the house

After I got moved in and mostly unpacked, I wanted to finish up a few projects on the Corvette. First was a set of 4LT package leather door handles that I bought off of CorvetteForum for real cheap.

Let me say this.... removing C6 Corvette door panels are a pain in the ass!

Second project was - well more creature comfort then anything - I'll be on the Hot Rod Power Tour this summer, and using my phone as a GPS well just sucks because its on the Sprint network, and driving through the midwest and south, I wont have full coverage - I guarantee it. So I installed a factory Navigation unit that I got out of a 2009 Z06.

The last thing that happened just this weekend - was that I got into an accident in my daily beater - I had a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. It had the supercharged L67 v6 in it - and well a guy blew a red light and hit the front of my car. He trashed my hood, and that was the nail in the coffin in that car. I've been wanting to get rid of it for a long time. So I got a new hood from a junkyard, and well color didnt match. I installed the hood at the yard, drove home and washed and waxed the car, then I went to the dealership and traded it in...

So I drove home in this...

Picked up an 08 G8 GT - has the L76 v8 w/ 6 speed automatic.

It has a CAI, SLP long tube headers, and full Corsa exhaust on it. I got a really good deal on it - and I have no complaints! I'm not planning on modifying the G8 anytime soon.

Also went to a dyno day:

Vette Dyno'd 370/370 hp/tq

G8 GT dyno'd 360/370 hp/tq

& My cars w/ a friends 170 mile Z06

I've been in my house for 2 months now, and its about time I tackled my garage project.

The floor was nasty with oil stains, spilled paint, Spackle and gum! So I joined the garage-forums and looked through different products and options for taking care of the floor. I settled on Griots Garage Non Lifting industrial epoxy. It was in my price range and has great reviews. The Lowes/Home Depot stuff is just garbage IMHO.

It took about 4 hrs of cleaning/acid etching/washing off the floor and about 2 hrs per coat for 3 days to get this project done. I'll say it looks a hell of a lot better then before. I've got some gladiator shelving to put up, and of course the car posters and stuff.

Its not perfect, but not bad for for my first garage of my own. The Griots garage epoxy went down real easy with no big issues or complaints.

Before:

Old 06-25-2010, 04:32 PM

After:

now my last mod before Power Tour...

Got in on group buy for a set of HID foglights, so I spent an hour or so putting them in. I have to say the look a lot better then the hallogens that I had in there...

Before..

After..

Both installed, and car finally back on the ground.

Introducing: project I'm a moron...

So I bought a new shift knob off a member of the CorvetteForum from DSvettes for real cheap, got it and went to install it and results w/ this..

Yeah knob doesn't fit - apparently in 2008 they changed the shifter design, as well as the shifter arm design so I kinda got screwed.

So fast forward, a quick search on fleabay, and I found full shifter assembly out of a 2008 Z06, placed buy, and got a great deal on it.

I installed the full z06 shifter assembly tonight, had no issues and it bolted right in. Heres some finished pics.

The throw is a little bit shorter, and shifted really nice on the freeway tonight.

PS... the car is done for Power Tour!
Old 06-25-2010, 04:33 PM

Got back from the Power Tour, put 3500 miles on the car, and had a hell of a time.

Heres me sucking it up on the Autox. It was cool meeting some people from the board, and seeing Finch and Bill Howell tear it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEAVbEAAdk

First thing I did when I got back... ordered a new padded center console lid from DS Vettes, the GM stock unit is basically plastic with no give, and yeah after 2 Long Hauls on the Power Tour, I'm going to chuck it in the trash. The new one should be here in a few weeks.

Quick update - so I found this on fleabay the day before I left for the PT, I got it for a steal, and well didnt think of it till I got back. Ended up sitting at the loading dock for a week. I finally got it today.

Its actually the last body panel I need for the widebody conversion, I need to get all the trim and misc plastic pieces, but I have all the major expensive things.