Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 09-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Default TCI Engineering's Turbo C10

This project was started back in 2013 but stalled while we built our 2nd Gen Camaro. Now that the 2nd Gen is complete and getting beat on it was time to get back onto the C10. The only problem now was R&D had other product related projects going so they had little to no time to devote to the project. Not wanting to let the project sit any longer I worked out a deal with Ed & Sal. They would make me project manager and give me plenty latitude to build it as I seem fit. A decision they will soon regret.

We are still trying to decide on a name for the project.

January 2014

February 2014

The first articles have had a few revisions through development but we're getting close.

Here, Ed is changing the anti-dive angle to 7.5.

A quick tack weld

We also revised the crossmember. We raised it up to frame another inch and put a degree tilted back.

Ed installing the upper plate onto the frame to confirm some simulations.

April 2014

More mock up pieces and parts

The crossmember is now in its 3rd iteration of the original idea.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 AM

We've made a few more revisions but the project is coming along quickly.

There was some discussion about which c-notch design we were going to use. The round style won out almost unanimously.

Mocking up the anti-sway bar and a few other items. This crossmember is going to be one beefy dewd once it is all boxed in and fully welded.

Torque Arm mount, I believe this is revision #2

We picked this LQ4 up with 78K miles for $2500. Compared to the aluminum counterparts I have been seeing this was a steal and the 4L80 is icing on the cake.

May 2014

More parts mock up

Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 AM

Holley oil pan definitely isn't going to clear.

F-Body pan clears the rack but interferes with two bolts on the back of the crossmember. Engine needs to go back.

Here are the plates that will be used to make the upper control arm fixtures.

Rear shock mount fixtures

Panhard bar installed

Double checking the geometry

Things to note: Driver side spindle is different than Passenger. The passenger side design is our new custom set-up. It is based on a C10 pin and uses the factory lower ball joint with a heavy duty Moog upper. The steering arm is removable and helped us attain the geometry and turning radius we desired.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:00 AM

How's this for ground clearance? We tried and accomplished keeping all suspension parts on the same plane as the bottom of the frame.

June 2014

Sal looks on as 'Tony Tech' installs the massive 31" tires and wheels onto the truck. We will be measuring for proper wheels and tires in the next week or so.

We finished up some first articles this week. The long tedious process of confirming fixtures and parts begins now.

Stock parts = #342 lbs

TCI parts = 270 lbs (Total weight savings of 72 lbs)

We also picked up a 2nd chassis to use as a rolling display. It just happened to be a longbed so we made a How-To to show the process of making it a shortbed.

July 2014

Our brand new rolling display is on the way to the Columbus Goodguys.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:01 AM

We just received our first article spindles yesterday. This was one of the most important pieces to the puzzle. We still have a lot of time studies to accomplish but we're moving very quickly, so quickly that many of the R&D projects are finished and have moved into the production department.

August 2014

We're a couple days behind schedule but here are a couple updates.

The time studies for the crossmember and lower control arms are complete after 10 sets were finish welded.

A small but significant change to the Torque Arm.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:02 AM

September 2014

I've been working on the Install Manual. Here are a couple teaser shots.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:03 AM

Here are some of the pics from the Shockwave mock up yesterday (based on a 26" tall tire). This is with the 2" Ridetech shock extension, I am hopeful the 1" top will clear the control arm cross shaft. This will give another 1.125"-1.25" of compressed travel but will keep the suspension below its designed operating range. I will mock these up today sometime just to know.

Our bumper is bent up on the driver side so the frontal view looks a little off. The driver side is roughly an inch higher than the passenger.

Looking underneath the bumper at the crossmember.

This picture is a little deceiving because I couldn't get the camera low enough to get the true height. The crossmember is closer to 1.75".

The front frame head just behind the front bumper. Keep in mind that the rear suspension is still at ride height so once it is aired down this height will actually go up.

This is the front cab mount. Keep in mind that the rear suspension is still at ride height so once it is aired down this height will go down.

I uploaded a short video to Facebook of the Shockwaves cycling. I also put it up on our Instagram page (TCI_Engineering) if you don't have Fb.

https://www.facebook.com/Total.Cost....type=2&theater
Old 09-22-2017, 11:04 AM

July 2015

7 month bump.......

We're back on our project C10. The new bed sides are on and we've began cutting/modifying to fit some massive rubber out back.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:05 AM

September 2015

Slowly making progress on fixing all the rust issues and filling holes.

Mocked up some Doug's Headers on the LSx. They seem to fit perfectly. These headers are for a Chevelle. Part# D3336-R

Old 09-22-2017, 11:06 AM

May 2017 - When I took over the project

So anyways, with some freedom to proceed how I choose I began to mock up some things. First and foremost I put some shock simulators in place to mimick full compression of the 5.2" travel ridetech coilovers. Then I placed some wheel simulators in place mimicking 26" tall tires. I know this is probably less than what some may run but I plan to run 18x12 wheels all the way around with a 315/30/18 Falken tire which is 25.5".

Here is a pic with the frame at full compression.

The frame under the front cab mount is 5" off the ground.

Something that has been lingering in the back of my head is the original upper shock mounts we made for the front end. The engineers ditched this design early on because the truck sat too low. Basically the inner fender had to be raised with them so they felt our kit wouldn't go this route. Anyways, we still have a couple of the original design mounts sitting in a box. There is roughly 2.5" difference in height between these.

The rear axle sits above the frame but it does clear the bed.

So, I will try to keep this thread updated a little more often. It will be slow though since it will only be an hour or so at a time.

June 2017

With the power this thing is going to make, we're going to need a strong foundation. I'll work on the back half next week.

July 2017

Worked on the rear boxing plates. I removed the standard bolt-on frame plate that comes with the Torque Arm kit and placed it on top of the rail. I don't need to step the rails that far to get the desired ride height but it was a good starting point.

The frame is countoured in this area so I will have to put two bends in the new boxing plate to match the frame. R&D is really busy right now so I might not wait for them to draw these up and cut them on the plasma table. I might just trace and cut them out with the hand held plasma. Sure it's dirty but I am trying to get this thing back to a roller by the Brothers Truck Show.

Sending the frame rails out to get sand blasted. I've got a lot of work to do before the Brothers Truck Show.

cst (04-16-2020)