Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 11-24-2018, 01:45 PM

That's exactly why I read the whole thing so I wouldn't ask something that you explained at some point. reading the Ron Sutton suspension threads also!!
I installed the Currie version of the R joints in the upper axle mounts. First time out I didn't have them clocked properly and the arms knocked on the housing during hard cornering. I have similar R/Johnny joints at the frame mounts of the rear arms. Lots of movement now.
I've been researching the ridetech coil overs and trying to find pics of the "Moser style" mounts which are like the ones on the quick performance rear axle. That's how I found your thread. Your tuning greatly affecting the car convinced me I need the TQs and the secret sauce valving. I had been struggling if I needed that much adjustment and revalving. Had a crazy thought I could find them on a black Friday sale. But I can't find the Moser style mount anywhere but ridetech

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2018, 03:04 PM

Local SCCA race today. Course was way more sweepers, more speed and less slaloms. I left the Proven good Good Guys setup in it just to see what it liked, stiff setting on front bar and front shocks full still low and high speed compression. Car liked it but was loose mid sweeper. Ended up taking rebound out of hte front and adjusting my line to put down a pretty good time.

Here are initial raw results, I'm B18. Time should PAX pretty well with only the best of the best below the high 44s.

http://realtime.azsolo.com/

And my third and fastest run of the day.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunisherGTO View Post
That's exactly why I read the whole thing so I wouldn't ask something that you explained at some point. reading the Ron Sutton suspension threads also!!
I installed the Currie version of the R joints in the upper axle mounts. First time out I didn't have them clocked properly and the arms knocked on the housing during hard cornering. I have similar R/Johnny joints at the frame mounts of the rear arms. Lots of movement now.
I've been researching the ridetech coil overs and trying to find pics of the "Moser style" mounts which are like the ones on the quick performance rear axle. That's how I found your thread. Your tuning greatly affecting the car convinced me I need the TQs and the secret sauce valving. I had been struggling if I needed that much adjustment and revalving. Had a crazy thought I could find them on a black Friday sale. But I can't find the Moser style mount anywhere but ridetech

I'm not sure what you mean by "Moser style mount" but I know this, the shock mount on the QP housing is different than any other out there and I had to build my own lower shock mounts for the TQs. it's not that difficult and what's better is you can get them to end up exactly where you need them for the shock length you choose.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:40 PM

Did you choose your shock length or order G body rear coilover?

The Moser style refers to the shock mounting hole is incorporated into the lower control arm mount. (Just like quick performance and currie) Which needs a different bracket to mount coil overs and it Moves the lower shock mount inboard for more tire/wheel clearance.
Factory A body axles have two tabs for lower control arm mount and shock. The mounts for coil overs use the lower control arm bolt and the shock mount together. And usually drilling a third hole above the lower control arm bolt and the axle tube for more strength. Name:  chassisworks bolt-in coilover mounting A body.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  29.3 KBName:  SUS-4250-3.jpeg
Views: 0
Size:  20.9 KB

Old 11-25-2018, 06:31 PM

I have never seen a shock mount like that before...interesting. We chose a 6.3" shock for my car and I built the lower mount to get it as low and as close to the wheel as I could get it.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:36 PM

So, we had a local SCCA Autocross here last Sunday...and it was awesome! Really fun fast course that was really Barney friendly.

Ended up 14th overall PAX and 15th overall in Raw time out of 118 drivers, my best showing so far with this Region. I haven't turned a knob or bolt on the car in two full events now...just working on driving it better.

Here was my fastest run in the TO fun runs.

The front bar on it's stiffest setting really has the rear tires planted on the big fast sweepers, something the car has NEVER had before. And there isn't even the slightest hint of a push anywhere.

These pictures were taken entering the right hand showcase turn about mid point in the run.

To say I'm happy with the performance would be an understatement. I had a very accomplished autocrosser ride in and drive the car Sunday and he had good things to say about the car as well, saying it handles well and is very balanced. He gave the driver some pointers which helped me set my fast time on my last run and he mentioned a couple of things that felt strange to him about the car. Most were "analog" deals vs the "digital" cars he is used to driving but one of them is something that I'm aware of and will be dealing with next. It's not crucial but it is near the top of the list for future enhancements.

Meanwhile, I'm going to just keep driving it into the ground and enjoying the heck out of my winter racing season.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Sutton taking credit for all your work???

LOL

Glad it’s all coming together for you!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Meanwhile, I'm going to just keep driving it into the ground and enjoying the heck out of my winter racing season.

Good plan!

Though I am a bit jealous of the winter racing season. Did you sell all your coats yet Lance?
Old 12-12-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Glad it’s all coming together for you!
Thanks Buddy...one of these days I need to get you in the right seat for a run...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
Good plan!

Though I am a bit jealous of the winter racing season. Did you sell all your coats yet Lance?
I brought 2 or 3 of my best ones with me and still have them...just in case
Old 12-12-2018, 09:46 AM

Did a little bit of photo editing this morning. Gotta thank Chris Niemeyer for grabbing these great action shots.

Look at that contact patch!!