Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 04-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Supporting Member

Default Clutch problems

I have a new TKO-600 in a '68 Camaro with big block. I was going to try and go on the first test run today, but found out the clutch wasn't disengaging enough when I tried to put it reverse - it clunked into gear immediately and died. So, I adjusted the threaded pushrod as far as I could, and when I pushed in the pedal, the threaded pushrod bent. I had another pushrod that was longer and would give me more adjustment so that the clutch fork could go in further, but then that one bent too!! The fork looks like it's getting very close to the firewall when it is pushed in, and to make matters worse I can't get the rubber dust boot on all the way so it's bunching up and probably limiting the range of movement of the fork. So now I have two bent pushrods.... is this common/any ideas?

Thanks,

camarorestoration.com
Old 04-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Tom, are you using the stock bellhousing and fork pivot ball? I know with my TKO and CenterForce DF clutch, I had to use the tall pivot. It sounds to me like that could be the problem.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 04-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Supporting Member

I'm using a lakewood bellhousing and adjustable pivot ball. How are you supposed to know where to set the pivot while installing the trans? If I have to adjust the pivot ball, then it all has to come apart...

I do think that I had the threaded rod on the wrong side of the zbar. Maybe now that it's on the other side, the angle won't be as severe and it won't have a tendency to bend. Also, I have linkage kits for both small block and big block - I was using the small block z-bar because the big block one was about 3/4" longer and wouldn't fit between the ball stud and the frame bracket. Even then I had to shim the bracket 1/2" to get it to fit. The big block z-bar puts the rod closer to the fork, so I'm using that and put another 3/4" worth of shims on the bracket to get it to fit! I have an Alston front subframe, so maybe it's different enough to cause the clearance issue. That and because the 502 engine block is not tapped for the pivot ball stud, so I had to get a bracket that pushes it out another 1/4".

I got it around the block! It was ugly since the throwout bearing wouldn't disengage all the way, but I had to since I was already half into the street!

camarorestoration.com

Last edited by rockdogz; 04-09-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Supporting Member

Yep, it happened agan - even when moving the rod over to the other side, I had to extend it again and again since it wasn't disengaging the t/o bearing and it bent.

So, sound like the pivot stud needs to be screwed into the bellhousing further? Would it make sense to go to a hydraulic setup if I have to pull the trans anyway? Are those better/easier to adjust?

camarorestoration.com
Old 04-12-2005, 01:36 AM
Supporting Member

Default classicchevy5speed is cool!

P.S.
Got some good help from Jeff at classicchevy5speed. I didn't even buy my TKO from this guy, and he tells me to call him. On the weekend! That level of customer service is scary - if you can call it that since I'm not even a customer!
Give Jeff a call if you're ever in need of Tremec hardware - classicchevy5speed.com

camarorestoration.com