Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 05-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts
Default FAST EZ EFI/Multiport

Many of you know that I started to freshen up my 427 small block (Dart Little M block)... mostly because of metal in the oil (looked like metalic paint! LOL). I decided to change up a few things while I was at it. #1 was to de-stroke it to a 406. I did this to get more piston compression height... get the pin out of the ring pack... and be able to use a normal base circle cam. It's a street HOT ROD motor.. no racing.. no tracking. I like to drive it long distance and wanted to get control of the oil etc.

I also run 8 stack EFI - Imagine Injection - Accel Gen 7 controller and dual sync distributor. I have never liked the dual sync distributor and have had two failures. So I wanted to "test" the new FAST EZ EFI Multiport system.

Yesterday we did the engine dyno. I wanted to see if the EZ EFI would really work as promised before yarding out the Accel from the car. Easier to run this on the dyno - than do all the work in the car and not be happy with it!

I can't tell you how amazed I am at how easy this system was to use... and how well it worked! The system uses NO CAM SIGNAL... so a normal distributor is all that is required. A real plus in my book! The kit comes with a hand held controller/programmer (no computer required! - another plus) and you simply answer some questions - it toggles you through and they are super easy simple questions. Once you answer those - you fire off the motor. In my case - all that was required was to sync up the 8 stacks using the manometer (a vacuum gauge that sits on each stack to measure flow). And dial in the timing. DONE.

Within minutes (5) you could watch the A/F ratios come into line. As they did and we ran the motor at various rpms and loads - they came in faster and closer to the targets. I used the default A/Fs in the ECM and never touched them. There was no need to. Only changes we made was to bump the fuel pressure and the timing. In my case - 33* total made better power than going to 36*.

One thing I did which I think was a MAJOR improvement - was to use INGLESE'S 8 stack intake. I swapped over my billet throttle bodies from Imagine Injection to their (Inglese) new intake. This intake has a large, built in, plenum. It uses vacuum from each intake runner to create a nice place
for getting your vacuum signal. My cam is only making 12 inches... but the signal is steady eddy... and the large volume of this common plenum allows me to run a PCV valve. Something that is much needed on a street motor! Can't tell you how nice this intake is! Casting quality is perfect. No parting lines - no pits - it really is a quality piece.

So back to the EZ EFI....

This system - the MULTIPORT (can be used for up to 1000 HP and 85# injectors) - is batch fired (thus the elimination of the cam sync) and DOES NOT control spark timing. I was worried a little about that... but not anymore! It does require a CLEAN signal from a tach source - the tach output on a MSD is the perfect source for that.

In the end - within 45 minutes - and the A/F's dialed in (as it self taught it's VE's - we did NOTHING)... I pulled multiple runs (6 or 7) and each pull added one or two Tq numbers and HP numbers but the graphs were overlaid so closely that the only way to see the difference was that the screen blinked the latest pull! Amazing - totally duplicated pulls... not a single waver - just linear power.

This motor is using a Crane roller cam --

230*/236* (292*/298* advertised) - .365 lift at cam - .548 with 1.5 rocker (I'm running 1.6's - so it's .584)

Crane part # 11HR00195 -- Grind # HR-230/365-2S1-12IG (part number not found using search on their website - custom grind)
With cast iron distributor drive gear.
Cam is a custom grind - with 112* LSA (better vacuum)
Spring pressure is 125 closed - 350 open
Cam rated at 2800 RPM to 6100 with 6700 RPM valve float
Advertised duration is 292*/298*

4.155 bore
3.750 forged 4340 fordged crank with Honda rod journals
Mahle Pistons .005 in the hole - Giving a 10.8 static compression
Dart Pro 1 - 180 cc aluminum heads (small heads make for great throttle response and bottom end torque)

The dyno was a break in (not really needed) and a "test and tune" to make sure the EZ EFI / Intake combo delivered. We did not make enough pulls to really max the HP and TQ numbers... that wasn't the point of the dyno so the numbers can, and should, get slightly better - or move up or down the RPM scale when the ECU reaches it's peak potential. The TQ number was made with a fairly LEAN 13.24 A/F (this should improve to a 12.8ish number as it learns).

550.0 TQ @ 4600 RPMS
525.4 HP @ 5600 RPMS

AVERAGE TQ from 3900 to 6000 - 515.75
" HP " " " - 483.51

Not a bad little hot rod motor....

Last edited by GregWeld; 05-20-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: added some cam info
Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 AM

That is outstanding in my book Greg. I am really happy to hear that as we will be using the EZ-EFI on our project. Can't wait to hear your feedback when you get to drive it. Keep us posted.

I must be tired, not one off color comment in this whole post!

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 05-18-2010, 12:15 PM

WOW! that is some good numbers that will make for a fun street car. Glad to hear the EZ EFI worked out- Chris

http://chrisholstromconcepts.com/
Old 05-18-2010, 01:00 PM

Talking

Thanks Chris! I'm thrilled -- really!

Here's a couple of pic of it on the dyno:

Old 05-18-2010, 05:16 PM

looks sweet, glad the EZ EFI was so EZ, I am SO ready to pull the trigger on the regular kit....good luck
Old 05-18-2010, 06:52 PM

zc --

All my doubts have been erased... never in my wildest imagination did I really believe it was going to run this fine that quick...

I've spent THOUSANDS of dollars on EFI stuff and TUNERS.... NEVER AGAIN... The ECM / harness set me back a lousy $900.... bingo -- done.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 PM

I'm glad to hear it works so well for you Greg. When I fired up the computer I was wondering how you were making out with your motor. I'm glad it is good news.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynieZ View Post
I'm glad to hear it works so well for you Greg. When I fired up the computer I was wondering how you were making out with your motor. I'm glad it is good news.
I couldn't be happier Wayne! Never did any motor that was as easy as this - with spectacular results. I've owned a lot of hot rods and lots of motors (hell - still do! LOL) but I've never had a motor that was this CRISP and with this kind of throttle response. Just amazing... and it took like an hour -- not a whole day and multiple "do overs and cold starts tunes" etc.

Impressive stuff - really impressive.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:17 AM

Greg,
The stacks look awesome!, glad to hear it was a success. It amazes me that it can be done with a simple msd distributor and only a tach signal. Great job!
Curious what fuel pressure you ended up at? 44psi? vacuum referenced?

Rich
Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 AM

Rich --

We started with 43 #'s which is what all (I should say the "standard") injectors are "rated" at. We couldn't get past a lean spot in the middle of the RPM band so dialed it up to 45#'s and that "fixed" it.

YES - the fuel pressure regulator is vacuum referenced. SO we set the FP without the engine running (or you just disconnect the vac line) and then we didn't have to deal with a vacuum leak - even momentary - during the ECU's learning curve.

I'm using 36 # injectors...

One thing Tom Nelson and I discussed during my visit to his shop (way fun) was how LEAN the 8 stacks tend to go when you crack them open. Makes sense to me - given the area of the butterfly - and it's direct runner to the cylinder. It's what gives these systems their instantaneous throttle response.

Tom has a video posted of his 406 - 8 stack efi motor on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6Wa5A68bQ

Unfortunately (for me) I planned to video my dyno time with my new little GoPro HD camera - but due to operator error... (and poor planning) I got lots of video of setting up the motor - and all the banter etc - and not one single second of the motor running! DOH! But I can tell you - that with this EZ EFI - my motor is batch fired (bank to bank) and sounds every bit as crisp and with every bit as quick of throttle response as his motor sounds. I'm running smaller heads so don't have the top HP numbers (it runs out of air flow at 6000 RPMS and the numbers clearly show that). But my motor made more 30#'s more TQ and only missed his 530 HP number by 4.6 HP....

Last edited by GregWeld; 05-20-2010 at 07:52 PM.