Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 12-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Could the O.P. please give year and valve train info on engine turbo came off of. I.E. 97 12 valve ect. Would be helpful if known.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmliljoker View Post
Could the O.P. please give year and valve train info on engine turbo came off of. I.E. 97 12 valve ect. Would be helpful if known.
I was told by the diesel class instructor that it was off of a 2006 24 valve (the school's pulling truck). I believe it is a 60mm inducer size. Unfortunately, information on Holset turbo sizing isn't as readily available as say, Garrett stuff. The part #s available from Holset don't really help much.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:44 AM

Thank you.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:21 AM

Thats just awesom project.

We use to play more that ten years ago with diesel turbos on gasoline engine, found that they can't take the higher rpm and they usually start to leak oil pretty soon. If you chance the central bearing cartridge from gas turbo and compressor and maeby exhaust turbine from diesel turbo, balanced it and then it will hold up high rpms. But I'm afraid its just not that simple.

But thats how they make custom modified turbos.

Bearings and seals are usually different on diesel turbos than on gasoline turbos.

But they are great things to get more power.

Like Deuce 454 sayd that a microsquirt (its really a megasquirt ) is really good way to go. It wount break your bank either. And getting better everyday.

Nowdays there are good quality cheap chinamade turbos sold on ebay. Many 4bangers here makes +400hp with those ones.

, Juhani

Last edited by SuperB70; 12-20-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB70 View Post
Thats just awesom project.

We use to play more that ten years ago with diesel turbos on gasoline engine, found that they can't take the higher rpm and they usually start to leak oil pretty soon. If you chance the central bearing cartridge from gas turbo and compressor and maeby exhaust turbine from diesel turbo, balanced it and then it will hold up high rpms. But I'm afraid its just not that simple.

But thats how they make custom modified turbos.

Bearings and seals are usually different on diesel turbos than on gasoline turbos.

But they are great things to get more power.

Like Deuce 454 sayd that a microsquirt (its really a megasquirt ) is really good way to go. It wount break your bank either. And getting better everyday.

Nowdays there are good quality cheap chinamade turbos sold on ebay. Many 4bangers here makes +400hp with those ones.

, Juhani
Just to add to that, the real key is in proper sizing of the turbine and compressor parts to match the engine and intended horsepower goal. We were REALLY over-speeding that single turbo past about 5000rpm. Running 2 of them gets the shaft speed back down near the lower end of the map. I knew NOTHING about "pressure maps" and "islands" before starting this project, but it all makes perfect sense, and the dyno results back it up 100%...
Old 12-24-2010, 03:19 PM

You got that right! Q: what kind of program are you useing when calculateing sizes or is that done by somebody else based on delivery'd engine fact?

In near future (next summer) I have that same think to do, have to see what kind and size of turbos to put on my SRT-10 engine. I dont recall the program that my friend is useing but hes pretty good with it..

Development is developing, just have to follow

, Juhani
Old 01-01-2011, 01:21 PM

squirrelpf.com has the calculator (great site, BTW), but we just figured out the air mass requirement for the engine and HP goal on the chalkboard. All the pressure maps are in lb/hr., so it wasn't difficult to find where our combo landed for a particular compressor.