Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 07-06-2017, 09:26 AM

This rendering kind of gives you an idea of how the RV garage will sit next to the house. There will be a travertine sidewalk from the pool deck over to that corner of the RV garage where the bathroom door will be.

This is roughly what the lot will layout like once complete.

3100 sq ft house and a 1634 sq ft RV garage on a 8/10s acre lot in a gated subdivision in Peoria, AZ. We are basically getting everything and more that we have now on our 11 acres in Missouri...minus all the grass to mow. To say we are stoked would be an understatement.

This is pretty much what it'll look like from the street.

There's a 6' concrete block fence surrounding the lot and I'll have a flat graveled 50' x 50' pad behind the RV garage and a 15' wide area alongside the RV garage to put trailers and what not hidden behind the fence in the backyard. Plus there is an oversize (for AZ standards anyway) 3 car garage attached to the house.

The people that just put on contract on our house pretty much bought everything we have except personal items. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to fit everything we move in one 20' rental truck, the majority of that will be my tools from the shop. I'm probably going to leave most of that as well and just buy new once I get into the new shop. Things like engine hoists, engine stands, trans jacks, screw jacks etc...mine are all old, hand me down, dirty, leaking type of tools and I figure a nice new shop like this deserves new equipment...don't you? It even makes more sense because we'll be renting a place there for 6 months while this is finished...and would just have to pay to store all of that crap in the meantime.

My 5hp 60 gallon air compressor is still in consideration though, along with the wind up hose reels, shop vac and pressure washer. Decisions decisions...
Old 07-06-2017, 09:52 AM

The pass through is nice, but I'd rather have a covered RV on the side of the shop. You can do an aluminum cover for around 5-7,500. I just think a large RV or trailer will take up too much space in the shop. Especially after you build an office.

You have to be stoked. I'm getting ready to build too. I love this stuff.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:04 AM

The guys garage next to the house lools lika a 14' door. What adding a small apartment stackable washer dryer in the bathroom. Normally they are size of a closet very handy washing shop clothes. But I think option 1 would be better. You can always add the workshop later or ever change the workshop size.just my .02

72 Chevy Nova in pieces trying to rebulid this bucket of bolts (really just a labor of love)

Crew Chief's: Helping pilots get laid since 1947
Old 07-06-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
The pass through is nice, but I'd rather have a covered RV on the side of the shop. You can do an aluminum cover for around 5-7,500. I just think a large RV or trailer will take up too much space in the shop. Especially after you build an office.

You have to be stoked. I'm getting ready to build too. I love this stuff.
I've actually used the space planner app and put two of my RVs in there side by side alongside the bathroom, it's a HUGE building compared to my current layout. The large door side of the RV garage faces West snd will take the brunt of the hot afternoon sun. I'd be leery of parking my RV out there for any length of time at all. I want it kept inside.

We are stoked...just now we're talking about going back out next month to check on progress, shop for furniture and find a place to rent this fall.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ssnova View Post
The guys garage next to the house lools lika a 14' door. What adding a small apartment stackable washer dryer in the bathroom. Normally they are size of a closet very handy washing shop clothes. But I think option 1 would be better. You can always add the workshop later or ever change the workshop size.just my .02
That is s 14' door on the one in picture, but they have a casita in the right hand side whereas my right hand side will have a 9' door and be open.

A stack unit is a good idea and can be easily added, we rough plumbed in for a sink back by bathroom as well as a 50 amp 240v plug in.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:46 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

That's going to be awesome Lance! You're gonna have a great setup!
Old 07-06-2017, 09:02 PM

Lance, I would consider putting a washer and a dryer in the shop for shop clothes. Nevermind, saw that someone else suggested it.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:28 PM

How tall will the bathroom be? Lofts are awesome for storing stuff that just takes up floor space. If the bath ceiling is 7-8' tall, I recommend maybe building off the side of that as well for additional storage. Just something to think about if it'd be needed. It's nice you'll have tall ceilings. We'll hold Missouri down for ya when you leave
Old 08-20-2017, 11:01 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

How's the build coming along Lance? You guys acclimated to the heat yet?
Old 08-21-2017, 09:24 PM

Heck, we're still in Missouri... Don't plan on moving until around Nov or so. They are supposed to pour the slab late next week.