Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Glad this worked out so well for you two, Greg. Congrats on having a well built and fun to drive roadster for you two to drive around.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 07-09-2014, 06:06 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

The Kenny Youngblood painting just arrived... It's better in person!!

Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
That looks great for a painting. Very nice.
Is your wife enjoying the hot rod?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
That looks great for a painting. Very nice.
Is your wife enjoying the hot rod?

We left it at Brizio's on our way back up the coast from LA. The Seat needed to be completely re-done in order to fit Gwen. She's taller than I am - and her height is considerably longer from the waist down -- and we just didn't guess close enough to what the seat needed to be to fit her. So it went back over to Sid Chavers today as a matter of fact - and he'll make the seat over. Then we also are going to replace the steering box. The steering was heavy and didn't have the "return to center" that it should have. Roy and I had discussed this before the LA trip and I had asked him just to leave it alone and let me put some more miles on the car before they went to the effort to R&R it -- and of course it's painted etc. But after putting on 1000 miles -- it never felt any better. He had an original Vega box - and was having that completely rebuilt before installing it. Seems they've been having the same issues with the manufactured versions as this isn't the first goat rodeo with these new boxes. They probably all come out of the same Chinese factory.

I'll pick the car up on September 1st when I head that direction for the Shelby Club Mini-Nat track event at Sonoma. And if all is right with the world I'll haul it back to Sun Valley.

Then at the end of September - we're signed up to drive it on the Good-Guys Haul (the way they should have spelled it!) of Fame Road Tour from Pleasanton California to Fort Worth Texas.

https://www.good-guys.com/goodguys-road-tour

At that time there is a stop planned in Colorado @ Pinkee's Rod Shop where my '40 Ford pickup should be sitting on it's freshly built Roadster Shop chassis.

http://pinkeesrodshop.com
Old 07-09-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post

That is a great painting Greg,looks just like picture,what's the new toy you mentioned you are doing? A 40 model pickup?we need details on this cool build.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:20 AM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,343 Posts
Default Kenny Y.

They posted this today...

@goodguys: Motorsports artist and illustrator Kenny Younglood is here this weekend doing his amazing free souvenir drawings...

http://t.co/aVT5fLmrrX
Attached Images

Skip
Old 07-12-2014, 09:53 PM

Nice car ! I will have to keep my eyes peeled whenever I am in the SV area to see if I can spot one of your cars . We live in Boise and my Sister in law lives in Bellevue so we are up that way several times a year .
Old 07-12-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraman1 View Post
Nice car ! I will have to keep my eyes peeled whenever I am in the SV area to see if I can spot one of your cars . We live in Boise and my Sister in law lives in Bellevue so we are up that way several times a year .

We have the blue '33 and I drive a red '32.... hunt me down! Or just go to Starbucks and ask 'em where I am... LOL

Old 08-11-2014, 05:07 PM

So after the trip from the Bay Area to the LA Roadsters show -- and then up California Hiway 1... we dropped the roadster off at Brizio's with a punch list of "to do's". This is perfectly normal for a brand new build - and the car now had over 1000 miles on it.

The first thing to fix was the steering box -- it was just too stiff and didn't return to center. Coming up the coast hiway was a lot of work as it took far too much effort to turn the car. We had discussed this issue before I left and Roy wanted to replace the Vega box but I said to just wait and see if this one would loosen up. It didn't.

The new original Vega box was sent out for a complete rebuild - painted and installed and the steering is now 100% perfect.

The top needed some adjusting -- and the owners of American Speed came over during the show (LA) and discussed with Sid Chavers and Roy exactly where to tweak what... the top now fits 100% perfect.

A complete new seat was built... which is wonderful and now fits Gwen really well. I had Sid make a pad that looks like the upholstery to go behind my back when I want to drive. Perfect!

The BEST ADDITION OF ALL.... new RideTech shocks on the front and CoilOvers on the rear (all polished and gleaming!). I can't tell you how much better the car rides!! Thank you BRET!! You are THE MAN! The car was a bit "harsh" before with the usual "hot rod" shocks on it. Now - it's like silk. Harshness is all gone and it rides like a really nice hot rod should. It's "firm" but compliant and smooth... hard to describe - but here's the tell. GWEN said - "it rides better" the first time she drove it --- and she knew nothing about the shock change. BINGO!! XOXO buddy!

There was hot air coming in from the motor/trans from the console area... a simple "oops" because the way the console sits on the floor it wasn't sealing out the air even though the boot was proper. A simple fix was to put a boot on the floor/shift lever... and then install the nice console with it's pretty leather boot. Another home run BINGO.

The speedo was "sticky" -- turns out the hole in the dash was a smidge too tight... FIXED and another BINGO...

The PCV was leaking just a couple drops of oil... I HATE OIL LEAKS... fixed! The fix was to install a catch can and K&N filter... ALL FIXED.

After paint - the windows were installed so that they disappeared down in the door too far... that caused an ugly sound when shutting the doors with the windows down. The fix was just to re-adjust them so that the top of the window is held with the weatherstrip... Trust me when I tell you -- these doors open and close better than a Rolls Royce. Every time I use them - I'm amazed. It's a tactile feel and sound that just says HOLY CRAP THIS THING IS A BEAUTY.

We raised the nose of the car an inch and a half. You can not tell this from looking at it... but it will keep us from having to be so careful going over small humps and bumps. This is no show car -- this is a driver.... we just want to be able to use it comfortably.

The car runs like a swiss watch... a little too perfect for me - but it's Gwen's car and she's happy as hell with it. It drives great - runs flawlessly - is smooth... yet sounds like a hot rod.... and now the seat fits her! It's all good.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:44 PM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,343 Posts

Thanks for the update Greg.

Really liked all the detail you went into.

Nice to read more about this home run build.

Skip