Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 12-28-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathonar89 View Post
The software was just updated this year for BS3 users and, again, BS3 has been able to control late model GM transmissions many years. It wasn't until about 5 years ago, that you could get a Holley Dominator which is able to do that. 2001 puts BS3 a good 10 years ahead of what Holley Dominator systems have just been able to match.

Megasquirt just released MS3-Pro Ultimate at PRI a few weeks ago. Holley efi must be outdated and so 2011 now
But none of those have the processor that the AEM does.
And BS3's claim to fame has been with the drag racing community largely because of it's datalogging capacity. Drivability however isn't as good as some of the others.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeefi View Post
But none of those have the processor that the AEM does.
And BS3's claim to fame has been with the drag racing community largely because of it's datalogging capacity. Drivability however isn't as good as some of the others.
The Holley EFI systems have amazing data logging capabilities and drive awesome.

Andrew
Old 12-28-2016, 09:55 PM

Here's some recent news for you guys who think BS3 is outdated...

Monday, August 1st, 2016

BigComm Pro is the new BS3 software application to enable high fidelity tuning of BS3 Engine Management systems. This, combined with MegaLogViewer BigStuff3 and new Android interfaces make the BigComm Pro software suite the most complete tuning package available.

Also, here's a link to see some of the new software...

http://bigcommpro.com/about

Here's some results from Big Stuff 3 users in the racing scene the past two months. I have pulled this from the BS3 Facebook page. Check out the bold letters below for fastest street car record....

No Mercy 7 (10/9)
Shawn Fisher - X275 Winner!
Joel Greathouse - Ultimate Street Runner-up!
ODR - Phil Hines Runner-up!

NHRA Div 2 (10/16)
Al Ackerman - Comp Eliminator Winner! 2 in a row!

NMCA West - World Finals (10/16)
Greg Seth-Hunter - ProMod Winner! NMCA West ProMod Champion!
Ryan Jones - Limited Street Runner-up!
Anthony Smith - Outlaw 8.5 Winner! NMCA West Outlaw 8.5 Champion!

World Cup Finals (11/4)
Mike Modeste - Radial vs. Modified Winner! Check out Mike's Winner Circle picture and video

Orlando World Street Nationals XXIII (11/13)
John Carinci - Outlaw 10.5 vs. PDR #1 Qlf'r & Winner!
Charles Hull - Street Outlaw #1 Qlf'r & Winner!
Chris Lancaster - Ultra Street #1 Qlf'r & Winner!
Jeff Lutz - Lowered Fastest Street Car record to 5.85 @ 250 mph! Check out Jeff's awesome 5.87 & 251mph pass

NHRA Auto Club Finals @ Pomona (11/13)
Bill Skillman - Super Stock Runner-up!

SCSN @ LasVegas (11/20)
Mike Bowman - ProMod Winner! Check out Mike's winning final run video
Norman Chang - XDR Winner & top speed!
Eric Gustafson - XDR Runner-up & low ET!
Roger Holder - RVW Runner-up & low ET!
Greg Seth-Hunter - Outlaw 10.5 #1 Qlf'r!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:56 PM

Bs3 seems to work pretty well for the world's fastest street car. I'm not saying there isn't a lot of great stuff available on the market today, but I would definitely say a used bs3 or fast xfi system can be a very good value.
If purchasing new I personally would take a good look at the haltech elite 2500 or the fueltech systems myself.

Drag week, 1000 miles, 5.80's in the quarter mile
http://www.roadkill.com/video-jeff-l...eet-legal-car/

http://www.dragzine.com/news/jeff-lu...d-competition/

Old 12-28-2016, 10:31 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathonar89 View Post
Here's some recent news for you guys who think BS3 is outdated...

Monday, August 1st, 2016

BigComm Pro is the new BS3 software application to enable high fidelity tuning of BS3 Engine Management systems. This, combined with MegaLogViewer BigStuff3 and new Android interfaces make the BigComm Pro software suite the most complete tuning package available.

Also, here's a link to see some of the new software...

http://bigcommpro.com/about

Here's some results from Big Stuff 3 users in the racing scene the past two months. I have pulled this from the BS3 Facebook page. Check out the bold letters below for fastest street car record....

No Mercy 7 (10/9)
Shawn Fisher - X275 Winner!
Joel Greathouse - Ultimate Street Runner-up!
ODR - Phil Hines Runner-up!

NHRA Div 2 (10/16)
Al Ackerman - Comp Eliminator Winner! 2 in a row!

NMCA West - World Finals (10/16)
Greg Seth-Hunter - ProMod Winner! NMCA West ProMod Champion!
Ryan Jones - Limited Street Runner-up!
Anthony Smith - Outlaw 8.5 Winner! NMCA West Outlaw 8.5 Champion!

World Cup Finals (11/4)
Mike Modeste - Radial vs. Modified Winner! Check out Mike's Winner Circle picture and video

Orlando World Street Nationals XXIII (11/13)
John Carinci - Outlaw 10.5 vs. PDR #1 Qlf'r & Winner!
Charles Hull - Street Outlaw #1 Qlf'r & Winner!
Chris Lancaster - Ultra Street #1 Qlf'r & Winner!
Jeff Lutz - Lowered Fastest Street Car record to 5.85 @ 250 mph! Check out Jeff's awesome 5.87 & 251mph pass

NHRA Auto Club Finals @ Pomona (11/13)
Bill Skillman - Super Stock Runner-up!

SCSN @ LasVegas (11/20)
Mike Bowman - ProMod Winner! Check out Mike's winning final run video
Norman Chang - XDR Winner & top speed!
Eric Gustafson - XDR Runner-up & low ET!
Roger Holder - RVW Runner-up & low ET!
Greg Seth-Hunter - Outlaw 10.5 #1 Qlf'r!
Thanks for a cut and paste.

Holley is used I all pro-stock cars. Do you have a car with BS3?

Andrew

Last edited by andrewb70; 12-28-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post

Andrew
Not to discredit you or holley but it's mandated to run the holley hp as the only efi for use in pro stock, part number 554-129. It's a specific hp ecu and I can't find it for sale even on holley's website, probably have to buy it right from the nhra so they can get there markup on it.

I know you weren't quoting me but yes I do run a bs3 in my street/strip car, 16 injectors, lots of street time and e85 fueled for both street and track.
The bs3 is an excellent and easy to use main stream high end ecu with a better than oem harness and connector set. As Jon said it's only gotten better since the new software was release this past year.
I wouldn't discount it as being an excellent system to pick up used at a good value on the cheap.
Nothing wrong with a holley system as well, depending on one's needs the hp and dominator are both excellent values. Just be careful with that mini usb port, the holley ecu's are potted and can not be repaired.

My street car, 16 120lb injectors controlled by bs3.

Last edited by TurboChris; 12-29-2016 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post

Andrew
No Andrew, I have a Megasquirt 2 I'm working on at the moment. It controls, fuel, timing and has some additional features like boost/nitrous control but I don't need the extras to build an efi system using TBI and HEI on my 4 speed Poncho. I had FAST XFI 2.0 but sold it because it was pretty much overkill for what I'm building and I wanted to build out my whole system. In my case I simply don't need Megasquirt 3, MS3-Pro, Holley Dominator, or the XFI 2.0 like I used to have. You've seen my stuff when I had the FAST and we've exchanged conversation on efi subjects on the Pro-Touring forum. My profile over there is F-Body International.

I used to glorify the Holley as well, but after going over efi topics with my friends and being on the forums, I have become less and less impressed by Holley efi. I'm not saying it's bad, but I've just become less impressed. In the end most efi systems generally do the same thing. You really have to know what you're talking about to say one is better than the other. I personally would rather have an ecu that is serviceable and also able to upgrade. For instance, with FAST, you can start with a base XFI unit and add traction control, logging, etc. With Holley you're stuck with what you have if you buy the HP/Terminator box and it can't be upgraded to the Dominator.

My Megasquirt MS2 carb-to-efi kit was around $600 and came in at about $750 once I added my Innovate LC-2 wideband setup...Black Friday sale at www.diyautotune.com

Last edited by jonathonar89; 12-29-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:38 AM

A little more info for those shopping EFI systems.... at PRI the MS3Pro Ultimate system was released. This bridges the price gap essentially between the Holley HP which has lesser I/O ports and the Dominator which has a ton of I/O's.

The MS3Pro Ultimate in essence does what the Holley Dominator can do.... at just around the Holley HP price. The Holley systems while not included in their package when you order it.... need (2) 0-100psi pressure sensors for oil and fuel pressure which add another $200+.

I run the HP in n/a cars and forced induction cars can benefit more from running the Dominator setup for boost by gear/time etc. Had the MS3 Pro been available when I bought my systems.... I would've tried that for sure. Plus it is 100% made in the USA with a LIFETIME warranty. They have harnesses premade for the 24x and 58x LSx applications.
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...gement-system/

1993 Mazda FD RX-7, built LS7, T56 Magnum, Holley HP, Davis Tech TC, 8.8" 3.73 Cobra IRS diff, DSS axles, Ohlins coilovers, big brakes.
CCW 18x11 front 315/30/18's and 18x12.5 rear on 335/30/18 RA1's, 2850lbs
10.31@137mph 165mph Shift-Sector 1/2 mile speed
441ci AllPro headed motor and 200lb weigh reduction in the works....
Old 04-21-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx7 View Post
I run the HP in n/a cars and forced induction cars can benefit more from running the Dominator setup for boost by gear/time etc. Had the MS3 Pro been available when I bought my systems.... I would've tried that for sure. Plus it is 100% made in the USA with a LIFETIME warranty. They have harnesses premade for the 24x and 58x LSx applications.
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...gement-system/
There are a few systems out there like the MS3 that are capable of the same things at less cost than a Dominator. The latest AEM Infinity is one of those as well.

Last edited by supremeefi; 04-23-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:01 PM

I'm glad this is taking off. The Haltech and AEM I wouldn't say are as user friendly as some of the stuff out there. The Holley stuff is really dummy proof with new users and generic tuning.

The Haltech, MS3PRO and BS3 are more detailed tuning. The average joe may not go as deep as those do, but they have the options for it.

If you're discrediting the BS3, it's because you haven't used it. The guy that designed it was the author of EFI boxes for a bunch of companies. Including FAST. He left for obvious reasons. He knows his stuff and heavily supports GMs (as mentioned). I've been very happy with his interfaces and tuning potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk