Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

Last week Dennis at High Speed Welding needed a car for a local Cruise Night (Insert Chevy Night) that he was sponsoring. Since they did a bunch of work on the car prior to it going to Kenny's. My car was the perfect choice for him. Of course Mike & I only finished the drivers side of the car and more importantly the car didn't have working brake lights. So the brakes light became the priority. To add to the time crunch I only had one nigh to get the brake light work as my daughter was graduating 8th grade the next day.

So a quick trip out to the garage when I got home from work at 8:30pm and I dove right into trying to figure out the issue.

Good news is it was a simple fix it was only a bad ground and loose bulb.

The next day I dropped the car off 1 hour before we had to leave for graduation and I picked the car up after graduation.

The one thing that bothered me was the fact that I didn't have time to Install the seat belts.

So that will be the next project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale

Last edited by syborg tt; 06-22-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:56 PM

lol, I used that same POS cut off wheel from Harbor Freight to cut my subframe for the same reason. Worth every penny though even if I never use it again. I had no other way to make those cuts to get the coil overs in place.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 06-21-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
lol, I used that same POS cut off wheel from Harbor Freight to cut my subframe for the same reason. Worth every penny though even if I never use it again. I had no other way to make those cuts to get the coil overs in place.

I glad we feel the same way. I gave Mike the extra one as one day he may need it and I kinda felt bad the he volunteered to cut it for me.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 06-21-2017, 10:33 PM

Moving on I wanted to connect the Seat Belt Planet harness's to the factory floor location and the Ride-Tech Tiger Cage.

Step one pull the seats back and then locate the factory holes in the floor. ( Third or Fourth time now since the car has been home )

Thankfully I have a lift so poking a hole from the underside is fairly easy to do.

Since the car is on the lift I had to climb up a ladder to get back to the inside of the car so I could widen the hole in the carpet.

Time to clean up the threads as they have a little bit of bed liner in them. Of course when your spinning a tap you catch the padding and some or the wool carpet.

Quick trip to Sears hardware to get a flange bolt and two nuts.

Added a couple grade 8 washers from my hardware collection.

The next step was fun trying to locate the holes on the rocker side. Yep this side is going to be difficult s the carpet is glued down and I can barely squeeze my hand under the door bars on the tiger cage. So I gently peal back the carpet, stuff my hand down under the carpet and had to feel for a hole.

Found it!!

Now I have to poke a hole in the carpet and good news I only had to poke it 3 or 4 times.

Belt is in.

One final detail that not a sole will ever see unless the car is on a lift. I added a flange nut on the inside of the trans tunnel as I felt the bolt sticking out looked unfinished.

Last edited by syborg tt; 06-22-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:47 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
One thing that has always bothered me with old cars is how close the seats are to the dash. I remember as a kid my buddy's father built a set of set back plates so he could fit behind the wheel. He also built another set to lift the seat up an 1.5" higher for his daughter. All I need to feel comfortable is to slide the seat all the way back and a different dish on the steering wheel but if someone other then me drives the car that happens to be taller then me they are going to want slide the seat back much further.

I was about to make a set when I noticed a set on Ricks Camaro. So I order a set to see if I would like them. I did the passenger side first since the car was backed in on my lift.

Quick test fitting and I determined I would need longer hardware. I just hate it when I come up short by a 1/4 of an inch. It's a good thing the local Sears is only onemile away. For now I picked us four 1.5'' x 5/16 Grade 8 bolts. So I could finish the project today.

From this pictures you can see just how much further back the seat is and when you sit in the passenger seat you no longer feel like your right on top of the dash. It's amazing the difference few inches will make.

Next up is to order all of the correct ARP hardware for the guys at Totally Stainless and of course have Mr Trim make me a set of trim pieces to cover up the set back plates. Hopefully something simple or maybe I will make a fiberglass piece and spray it with some wrinkle paint to make it look factory.

This pictures lets you see just how much of a difference these plates have made.

That's all for now folks.

Marty-

This is a great build. I've got my old '70 1/2 RS camaro from high school I'm restoring. I'm 6'5" and really appreciate the seat relocation brackets you used. Those are definitely going in my car too.

Also will be using the TMI seats you used. Did TMI make the headrest for you to match the '70 original? Didn't really like the TMI headrests they offer, so glad to see you were able to arrive at a better option. They look great.
The Following User Says Thank You to jcadwell For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (01-23-2024)
Old 06-22-2017, 07:58 AM

Why not put the seat belts on the tiger cage?

68 GMC C1500
Haulin more than the mail

73 Camaro
Better grow a mullet

70 K5 - 4wd turned 2wd
Project might as well...

Known as John or "JJ"
Old 06-22-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcadwell View Post
Marty-

This is a great build. I've got my old '70 1/2 RS camaro from high school I'm restoring. I'm 6'5" and really appreciate the seat relocation brackets you used. Those are definitely going in my car too.

Also will be using the TMI seats you used. Did TMI make the headrest for you to match the '70 original? Didn't really like the TMI headrests they offer, so glad to see you were able to arrive at a better option. They look great.
Thank and the set back plates are way overpriced but I didn't have time to make them.

As for the seats / headrest. Yes TMI did both. I can send you there Concept drawings and pattern numbers if you like. So when you call them you can reference my order.

Martinjmcguire at Comcast.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post
Why not put the seat belts on the tiger cage?

I will be using the the harness bar on the Tiger cage for the shoulder restraints. Just didn't have the correct 7/16" hardware.

Last edited by syborg tt; 06-22-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 PM

The Ride-Tech sway bar comes powdered coated in a black wrinkle finish which is very nice. However, I like to be a little different and I felt I needed to change it just a little bit and a color change should do the trick.

A quick to Pro-Tek powder coating in Joliet so Jay could strip the old powder off and then powder it in his brightest Red.

What a difference.

btw this thing weighs a ton.

Last edited by syborg tt; 06-22-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:49 PM

My plan was to install the sway bar myself so I wrapped it in blue painters tape.

Next up was to lay out the hardware.

Need to call the guys at Totally Stainless as the sway bar end link bolts & sleeves where both short.

I quickly realized that I needed help so I asked my wife for a little help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 06-24-2017, 08:05 PM

My plan is to swap out all the sheet metal hardware with ARP / Totally Stainless body hardware. First up where the inner fender bolts that attached the carbon liners to the fenders.

The stock bolts just look nasty and needed to be replaced.

I intentional ordered these bolts longer then needed as I plan to install an ARP 6 point nut and washer.

Since the front wheels were off this was the perfect time to actually clean the wheels.

Now I have to take the rears off as the fronts look so much better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk