Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2020, 08:12 AM

Default Confusion with front spindle nut tightening!!

Ok guys, finished packing my new Wilwood bearings with grease but I am a bit confused about how to properly proceed with the tightening of the spindle castle nut as I have read so many posts in different forums about the tightening, and not sure what is the correct method. I torqued the nut to 12 ft-lbs while spinning the rotor but confused about the following statements I read in some forums:

- torquing the nut to 12ft. Lbs while spinning the rotor, then back off the nut to the nearest slot to put the cotter pin.

- Torquing the nut to 12ft. Lbs, then back of the nut by “one flat”, not sure what this means,

-or torque the nut to 12 ft. Lbs. Back off the nut till bearing gets unloaded, then hand tighten the nut till snug and put the cotter pin.

Could someone guide me please how to proceed with this because when I torque the nut to 12ft. Lbs, the castle nut slot sometimes is aligned with the hole for the cotter pin or sometimes covering half of the hole. Of course, there is resistance in rotating the rotor at this stage.

If the castle nut is aligned with one of the holes on the spindle, shall I back of the nut by. 1/4 of a turn to get to the other hole to insert the cotter pin or backing it off by full turn and hand tighten it get the castle nut aligned to insert the cotter pin?

Thanks in advance
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s