Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-11-2016, 11:27 PM

Oh lets say I've gone little stupid since the last post -- -- a complete tear down, inspection/R&R of the bearings, Corilla rods, J&E pistons, new gapless rings, heads completely redone (new porting, valves, springs, heat resistance coating on the inside, heat dispersement coating on the outside, blah blah blah), new 1.4 Pauter rockers, a couple of weeks in Italy for vacation and got all the parts and pieces back from the machine shops,,, and wah-la back together as a birthday present to me.... """Oh yes dear, it shouldn't cost more than a $100 to redo the engine,,,,, cough,,, cough ,,, choke, cough....."""

Ok --- I think I got the carb intake mocked up -- this engine is starting to have more colors than an Easter Egg -- --

Old 10-12-2016, 07:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiaguy View Post
Oh lets say I've gone little stupid since the last post -- -- a complete tear down, inspection/R&R of the bearings, Corilla rods, J&E pistons, new gapless rings, heads completely redone (new porting, valves, springs, heat resistance coating on the inside, heat dispersement coating on the outside, blah blah blah), new 1.4 Pauter rockers, a couple of weeks in Italy for vacation and got all the parts and pieces back from the machine shops,,, and wah-la back together as a birthday present to me.... """Oh yes dear, it shouldn't cost more than a $100 to redo the engine,,,,, cough,,, cough ,,, choke, cough....."""
Way better than selling it!
Old 10-12-2016, 07:54 PM

I see you're using the Percy's Adjust-a-jet.

I hope you have better luck with it than I did. Have you tried one before?

I experienced major flooding with it.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:57 PM

This is my second go with them -- the first time I really loved them

Percy's have really changed their product since the last set I bought in '09....

The kit comes with 2 little black seals/plugs that are not mentioned in the instructions.... They replace the original jets in the metering block, and if you didn't pick up on that, it would cause the problem you mentioned. And when I was assembling them, I felt that the adjust-a-jet block was REAL close to the Power Valve and might not be letting it seat (I'm thinking running a double gasket on the power valve might solve this if it becomes an issue).....

I'm kind of worried with this set as I'm running E85 and the Carb I'm using uses the dominator style plates ("regular" Holleys, the jets are flush in the metering block and the Dom's stick up about 1/8 of an inch)... And Percy doesn't make a Alcohol set for them... so these are setup for gas and I'll be twisting the screws out about 8 turns to start with (you can see how far out they are in the picture) and I think the max is 10 1/2 turns,,, so it will be close.

It was either this or stick a brand new set of metering blocks into a mill and shave off the jet bosses.... I wasn't too hot on that idea either...

But when/if they are working, they are great for making that quick "jet" change at the track...........

Last edited by Ghiaguy; 10-12-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:03 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiaguy View Post
This is my second go with them -- the first time I really loved them

Percy's have really changed their product since the last set I bought in '09....

The kit comes with 2 little black seals/plugs that are not mentioned in the instructions.... They replace the original jets in the metering block, and if you didn't pick up on that, it would cause the problem you mentioned. And when I was assembling them, I felt that the adjust-a-jet block was REAL close to the Power Valve and might not be letting it seat (I'm thinking running a double gasket on the power valve might solve this if it becomes an issue).....

I'm kind of worried with this set as I'm running E85 and the Carb I'm using uses the dominator style plates ("regular" Holleys, the jets are flush in the metering block and the Dom's stick up about 1/8 of an inch)... And Percy doesn't make a Alcohol set for them... so these are setup for gas and I'll be twisting the screws out about 8 turns to start with (you can see how far out they are in the picture) and I think the max is 10 1/2 turns,,, so it will be close.

It was either this or stick a brand new set of metering blocks into a mill and shave off the jet bosses.... I wasn't too hot on that idea either...

But when/if they are working, they are great for making that quick "jet" change at the track...........
Good info!

Yeah, I tried them back in the late 90's and on the first test drive (without an air cleaner) the bottom of the hood got sprayed with fuel. LOL No plugs at all for the open holes where the jets used to go.

Thanks, and good luck, nice stuff there.

Last edited by zz430droptop67rs; 10-12-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:36 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerforce View Post
Way better than selling it!
^^THIS^^
Old 10-14-2016, 10:12 AM

Engine is almost ready -- Just need to finish the MSD install -- I still hate crawling around the freaking cage to get to the back of the firewall LOL

I'm so over using steel braided line -- and E85 just eats them up -- I'm having to replace it almost every other year -- So now I'm using hard line when I have new installs or replacing old lines, I'm using either SS or Aluminum... AL is softer and easier to form and more forgiving than SS.....

Old 10-14-2016, 10:57 PM

IT'S RUNNING -- -- Fired right up -- My timing light took a dump so I was just guessing where I was at --- and was trying to guess where I was at with the fuel but it was sounding real nice.........
Old 10-20-2016, 11:40 PM

No sooner than I bragged about how great my 16300 starters, I had mine go out --- Damn it!!! -- -- So, I jumped into my car and drove over to CarCraft in Riverside, CA, all the while preparing to buy another 16300 (and get lunch at Zorba's).... Was setting there bench racing with Bob Godfrey and whining about losing a starter, Ed perks up and said that he had this new brand new starter "OE Brand -- Part Number BA16450" out of Florida making some really killer starters.... I'm going, Yeah, Yeah, I've heard this all before... So Ed brings one out. They are tiny and light!!! I'm looking at it and thinking there's no way that this little thing is gonna spin my 2963.... He says, you buy this, and if you don't like it, bring it back in the original box and I'll put 100% of the money towards another starter.... OK, what do I have to lose except another chance to come over to CarCraft and go to Zorba's Hamburgers for lunch (I live for a Zorba Burger and Onion Rings from this place -- they are great!!!! Remember that the next time your in the area)..... SO, I bring this thing home, throw it into the car and this little starter is winging my engine at a higher RPM than I have ever had..... Really impressed with this little thing!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2016, 02:09 AM

Confucius says -- You definitely have an over rich condition, if you are finding pinholes in your intake by fuel squirting out.......

Words to live by if you ask me.....