Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-02-2018, 06:41 PM

Slowly getting to the rear suspension. The Torque Arm will work as is, with slight modification to the cab. The link arms will need to be shortened. We're not going to use this 12 bolt but it already has the bracketry so it helps with mock up. The problem is the 12 bolt is roughly 1/2" shorter at the pumpkin than a 9" so I have to account for that.

From this angle you can see that the axle bracket hangs to far behind the axle. We need to bring the flange area closer to the back of the axle tube to gain clearance for the panhard bar.

I've hinted at the idea that there won't be much room under the hood. The radiator is roughed in. It's likely too wide, since at current placement the tire will actually interfere at full lock. Once the inner panels are constructed there really won't be much room at all. The cardboard box is a rough intercooler size. Dual inlets, one on each top/side, with a center outlet on the bottom that goes under the radiator. Radiator fan outlets will be routed out of the hood.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:41 AM

The intake manifold sits pretty high so the dash and firewall will be 'Interesting'. I had already planned on cutting the firewall off and building a new one. The bottom side of the cowl will also have to be cut in oder to clear the plenum.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:16 AM

This is turning out to be an interesting ride.

I know one thing, I'll never be able to fit in the cab. I have really long legs and have enough trouble driving a stock one without the tank behind the seat!
Old 04-10-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastwclass View Post
This is turning out to be an interesting ride.

I know one thing, I'll never be able to fit in the cab. I have really long legs and have enough trouble driving a stock one without the tank behind the seat!
I am all legs too. The stock driver compartment on these trucks is terrible. Wait til you see what we have planned to help with this.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:37 PM

Took a stab at videoing myself. The lighting is terrible and my editing software had some glitches. Otherwise, I think it came out pretty good. I am already shooting b-roll for episode 2, including the engine build, rear suspension design/assembly and removing the drip rails.

Last edited by TCI Engineering; 04-24-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:59 AM

I feel so scatter brained lately. I seem to be jumping from project to project. I started removing the drip rails and then ran into a little problem. So I moved back to finish welding the bed.

I had planned on doing the drip rail removal a small section at a time. This helps keep the roof structure from distorting. I worked the door areas first and all went pretty easily. Unfortunately, when I cut the front section I realized real quick that the roof skin doesn't line up with the windshield surround. Basicaly, the roof skin overhangs the windshield surround by roughly 3/16". So I went ahead and cut that whole front portion of the drip rail off. I now plan to do a small pie cut on the sides and will lay the roof skin down a little at the front to smooth out the 3/16" difference.

Since the drip rail deal is going to take some thought process I moved back to welding up the bed sides. So the sides were removed for easier access.

Just trying to close up all the seams.(& holes that I made)

Will be placing some small steel pieces here to bridge the gap.

I've been going back & forth between mig & tig thru this whole process. I'm glad that this isn't my job cause welding sheet metal is not my thing.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:33 AM

We've been working on rear suspension mock up. The 12 bolt display rearend we had was too wide so we built a mock rearend that is 55" wide housing flange to housing flange and 60" wide axle flange to axle flange. We also had to cut some special axle brackets(similar to our Muscle Car Torque Amr brackets) with a 25 degree angle.

After posting these pics on FB, Bret Voelkel chimed in and said we shouldn't run the shockwaves upside down. Debris can find their way in between the sleeve and body and create leaks. So we may have to pocket the frame a little for bag clearance.

Mocking up Efrain Diaz's 19x10 HRE wheels. The tire is hitting the chassis fixture in this pic. I guess the day had finally arrived where we needed to remove the chassis from the fixture.

Out of the fixture and on the lift temporarily.

Then moved onto the rotisserie to continue welding and grinding. We've got 2 weeks to make it a roller in time for the Brothers Truck Show.

Last edited by TCI Engineering; 06-08-2018 at 11:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TCI Engineering For This Useful Post:
camcojb (06-08-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 10:49 AM

Rear suspension is roughed in. We will likely have to adjust the wheelbase once the cab & bed are back on.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:23 PM

Old 06-23-2018, 02:05 AM

Those wheels are 19x10 HRE's? What size tires?