Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-24-2018, 08:45 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Hurrah! Received five boxes of SpeedTech goodness. I'll be running a set of AFX performance spindles:

Also have a set of:

With a road assault package for the A body:

It looks like the shocks / springs are being delivered tomorrow.

So, for the front end I still need to get the brake stuff, but should be pretty good to go as far as suspension.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:07 PM

OK, so it's been a while since posting, but I'm making slow progress. Have the body off the frame and out to Pro-strip Indy.

I've taken various bits to them over the past few years and have always been impressed.

Mean while, I stripped the frame and have it sitting on a flat table. It's interesting to see how much of a difference there is from left to right - it's clear that the old big block has applied a fair amount of torque to the frame.

I have a frame mini tub kit and a frame box-in kit from ABC performance. The plan is to attach the frame to the flat table, make sure it's square with the world and at the factory measurements, then weld the various bits in the kits to the frame.

Moore's welding owns the flat table and are going to do the frame work. I have a TIG, MIG, etc., but don't have a frame sized flat table. I don't want to end up with a twisted frame at the end causing issues.

After some wire wheel work, spotted a fair amount of poor welds. It's amazing this frame made it through GM factory QA. Those will be corrected as well.

Once the frame is all done, it will go down to Pro-strip for a cleaning bath. After they are done, they have a powder coat that has excellent corrosion resistance and matches the frame black color from GM. It's eco safe, but still has 7x (as memory serves) the corrosion prevention as standard powder coating. They are going to spray into every opening on the frame while it's electrically charged, then bake it. Once done, the frame should look great and not have rust issues for a very long time.

The hope is that I can swap the frame for the body, then take the clean body to Elkhart, IN for e-coating.

Hopefully both will be ready in the next month or so. Will have to see.

Will post pics when I have something decent to look at. Right now it's just disassembled car.

As an aside, for others who have replaced much of your suspension, I have a question. Did you wait to get rid of the old suspension bits before reassembly, or wait? It's taking space, which is at a premium, and I already have the replacements.

Thoughts?

syborg tt (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 06:57 AM

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by out2kayak View Post
Will post pics when I have something decent to look at. Right now it's just disassembled car.

As an aside, for others who have replaced much of your suspension, I have a question. Did you wait to get rid of the old suspension bits before reassembly, or wait? It's taking space, which is at a premium, and I already have the replacements.

Thoughts?

We all like pictures so post a couple pics of the car in piece is good with us.

Can you give me the name of the E-Coater ?

and if you are certain your not going to use the parts sell them as put the money back into the car.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 12-29-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Can you give me the name of the E-Coater ?
PM sent.

syborg tt (12-29-2020)