Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-07-2012, 02:50 PM

Default 69 Z/28 with Max-G Chassis

Hello All,

My car is a true 1969 Camaro Z/28. Since i didnt have the original engine, tranny, or rear end and since I bought it i decided to go the pro-touring route instead of original. This is round two of my project. Round one involves a sappy story about some "professional" I took my car to for some sheetmetal removal/replacement. This is how it looked before I picked it up from the "professional shop."

I decided to attempt to put the car back together myself and at that time the plan was to put an Art Morrison back half and seperate AME front subframe in place then weld in the connectors. After a brief hiatus of doing nothing to the car and primarily visiting this site to read the Investing 102 thread, I have since sold the backhalf and got a full Art Morrison Max-G chassis from a shop down the road from me called Pyramid Street Rods. These guys are dealers for Art Morrison and some of the most honest people you will ever meet. So i put the frame on a jig, got it all leveled and centered, BRACED the car and cut the floor out. I also realized i screwed up the wheel wells so those will be going bye bye pretty soon here.

Here are some pics of the progress so far:

1969 Camaro Z/28: W.I.P. Bolt-on Art Morrison MaxG Chassis, LS2 Stroker, 6spd. manual, amongst many other goodies!

Last edited by 67pro-street; 11-17-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 PM

Here are some more pics...

1969 Camaro Z/28: W.I.P. Bolt-on Art Morrison MaxG Chassis, LS2 Stroker, 6spd. manual, amongst many other goodies!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:59 PM

I think using this jig and having everything level is going to work out a LOT better than my first attempt where i had everything on jackstands with a shim here, a shim there, a shim everywhere...

And some pics of the bracing and floor removal...

Old 12-07-2012, 03:13 PM

Since my plan is to work on the car myself and my time doesnt cost any money, i would like to try and make the frame removable from the body instead of welding the two together when i make my floor panels. I am not quite sure the best way of doing this yet, but i have studied some photo's of the the shop RK Collections that did accomplish this. Here's there site if youre interested... http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/pc/...-Camaro/132163

P.S. I realize I have bit off more than i can chew and took on a project that requires way more experience than i have, but nothing like learning by diving in head first right!! That and having a whole lot of this

Thanks in advance to all who help contribute to this build. Hopefully Round 2 turns out better than Round 1

Last edited by 67pro-street; 11-12-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:20 PM

Theres a couple of Max-g threads on here. Our shop completed this one this year, you may want to look through it....
https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...light=tenacity
Old 12-11-2012, 05:16 PM

Steve, thanks for the link. That Camaro is Amazing!! I checked out your website as well and there are a lot more pics on there. I may be contacting you from time to time to get some pointers if thats okay with you

Old 12-11-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67pro-street View Post
Steve, thanks for the link. That Camaro is Amazing!! I checked out your website as well and there are a lot more pics on there. I may be contacting you from time to time to get some pointers if thats okay with you
No problem!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Here's another one completed: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=24328
Project pics of my '69
Camaro Performers Magazine Feature
Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Good for you Aman for being willing to tackle this! It's a lot of work - but if you take your time and do every step CORRECTLY and with loving care... it'll turn out great!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:22 AM

just keep measuring all the time, and make sure your reference points are square and unchanging. Every shim, twist, and move you make will affect something else so always be thinking 3 dimensionally, and every 30 minutes stand back as far as you can and take a look at the "squareness", and don't forget to choose new "angles" to look at the car from not just the same place every time. Have several long straight edges and definitely buy a digital level, I use that thing all the time.

I've dropped my body in various states on top of 2 or 3 chassis now and I'm just a dude with a carport. My first time I had the body with no floor and no real bracing stood up on 6-8 cinder blocks while I rolled the completed chassis, roll cage and all, underneath it on furniture dollies. The last one I started with just a roof and a-pillars, so less structure and form than you have. Again I'm just a one man amateur show out in a carport. Give that garage space you have you are a luxurious shop. You can do it !