Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 11-06-2013, 03:09 PM

Hey thanks guys, its not a lot of progress but at least its moving forward. Preston, the camaros were unibody construction. AME makes a front clip that bolts on and then you can buy a rear clip that welds to the stock floor. If you go with the Max-G chassis though, the entire floor pan needs to be removed and then replaced with custom floor boards. Hopefully ill have some time this weekend to make some more progress. Ill post updates if i do!

1969 Camaro Z/28: W.I.P. Bolt-on Art Morrison MaxG Chassis, LS2 Stroker, 6spd. manual, amongst many other goodies!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Nice!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:17 PM

A year later, and I'm still chipping away at the project. I ripped off the old sheet metal that I initially installed because I didnt know what I was doing and well...I did it wrong. Went with AMD sheet metal the second time around and I was extremely impressed with the quality of the panels. I highly recommend them to anyone looking to purchase new sheet metal.

Here are some photos of me widening the tubs:

1969 Camaro Z/28: W.I.P. Bolt-on Art Morrison MaxG Chassis, LS2 Stroker, 6spd. manual, amongst many other goodies!
Old 11-26-2014, 05:24 PM

As stated earlier, I am building the car so that the body is removable from the frame, because of that, i kept about 1/4" to 5/16" gap between the wheel tubs and the frame so that i can remove the body without damaging the paint. Here is how it turned out...

I then replaced the package tray as mine was all bent up from the previous shop that had done work on the car. I probably could have straightened it out, but I honestly think it was easier, quicker and cheaper to buy a new panel and replace it.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:30 PM

Then i fit the quarter panels and removed the roof and the original drip rails, replacing all of them with new AMD stuff.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:25 PM

Last piece of the puzzle was fitting the tail panel. This was tough because there are no trim pieces or anything to cover up the seams where the tailpanel and quarters line up. I had to do a lot of cutting and bending and welding and so on. I was too engrossed to take photos during the process, but finally after years and years of anticipation, I completed that part and got the car of the jig. It is finally sitting on all 4 wheels. I have a few weeks off in December and I hope to finish the floors and the firewall so that i will have a complete roller.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:27 PM

I just threw the front sheet metal on there to make it look like a car. Nothing has been fit or "cured to fit" on any of that stuff yet...

Old 11-26-2014, 07:38 PM

Very nice metal work,really like that frame.I bet you are relieved to have all the metal work finished and have it rolling again
Old 11-26-2014, 08:52 PM

Thanked 1,566 Times in 851 Posts

I am glad to see your still working on the car and it's looking great.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 11-26-2014, 09:39 PM

So you used just a small part of the body sub structure to build this car. Wouldn't you have been better off to buy a dynacorn body instead of ruin a z/28? Sad