Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 09-05-2006, 09:52 PM

18" all the way
rick
Old 09-05-2006, 10:57 PM

Just sold my never been used 17" w/t package and ordered 18s...should be getting them REAL soon, yeah baby!!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for everyone who has taken the time to add their thoughts.

It sounds like there might be a slight edge to the 18's all around.

Is there any handeling issues when useing 17/18 or 18/20's with the 1st gen Camaro's?

I noticed that wheels width's in rear rarely exceed 12 inches, with the mini-tubs.

Is there any reason a 13 inch wheel is not used? (Assuming a 335 rear)

Based on the fitment charts, a 13 inch wheel would optimize handling, wouldn't it?

Few people use the three piece wheels. Is it primary a cost issue, or pure styling?

Thanks again for all your participation.

tyoneal
Old 09-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Lateral-G Supporting Vendor

I don't think the DSE tubs most folks use will allow a 13" wheel but not sure and a 12" wheel will weigh less and handle the same tire. While you're considering larger staggered diameters, remember most wheel & tire companies make 19s so you can run the same rubber as a 911 Turbo, Viper or Z06.
And lastly, 3 piece wheels are a little spendier but they look bitchin'! If you don't have H.R.E. $, try www.dpengineering.cc or www.forgedwheels.com and when in doubt, hire a designer! Ben has also chimed in with intelligent input on this thread too along with other very talented guys that frequent this forum so pick a favorite and somebody here can help you make that all important decision.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:37 AM
Banned

although possible, from your line of questioning. I highly doubt you will push your car hard enough to warrant 3 piece wheels, or feel any negative results in handling going from 17 to 18' or vice versa, and if getting a decent wheel, the weight difference will not be noticable. Just get whatever floats your boat. If you have the money the 3 piece wheels look killer and usually are a higher quality, plus you get the option of buying new hoops if you want to change the backspacing. Basically IMO for you, just decide how much $ you want to spend, and which will fit/look better to YOU. There are plenty of tire choices in both sizes, and most aftermarket wheels will be plenty strong for whatever you want to do. Its possible that a 18" wheel will be heavier than a 17" but in reality if you are buyingi anything at all quality the differnece will be nill and hardly noticable.

My vote goes to a 18" wheel as you can package more brakes in them, you can get just as much tire profile, and they look better.

Oh, and don't stagger your wheels more than 1", no technical data other than it just couldn't be right just by looking at it, and plus it looks funny

Last edited by fatlife; 09-06-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Banned

Oh, and a 13" wide wheel will not necessarily Improve handling. That is a loaded question with too many variables. Just keep it simple and you will be rewarded with a fun balanced car, no need for 13" wide rear tires, unless it is for a wow factor. a good sticky 275 series tire will have more grip than a standard street 335. Its not all about width. Look at some of the stock class drag racing cars, they are pulling off ridiculous 60 ft times with 10" wide tires. I know its apple to oranges but it still relates.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:07 AM

You run the same wheels all around,the front end does look right,looks like the front end needs lowered,plus going like one or two inches differnet in the front gives it some rake.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlife
I highly doubt you will push your car hard enough to warrant 3 piece wheels

i dont think theres even supposed to be a difference in performance between a 1, 2, or 3 piece wheel... the only advantages that i saw was that it becomes easier to repair a damaged wheel, or you have the ability to make a wheel wider without having to buy a new set of wheels or cutting a rim in half....

and as far as 17s vs. 18s. it all depends on stance to me. when i was in the market for rims, i chose 17s because i thought most camaro running 18s looked awkward and out of place... recently there have been a few cars that have pulled the wheels off a lot better which kinda makes me wish i went with 18s. regardless, both sizes look fine on first gen camaro. just choose the right style. wheels will make or break a car.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Supporting Member

I have 17's and IMHO they don't fill up the wheelwells enough. I may go to 18's...eventually

camarorestoration.com
Old 09-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Banned

a 3 piece wheel with perimeter bolts should be stronger than a 2 piece wheel welded together. But to be honest I am no expert on the differneces. WOuld be interesting to hear exactly if and why they are stronger, from what I heard they flex less. Of course this goes back to theory that you would have to be a competitve racer to take advantage of the extra strength