Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 10-18-2006, 03:26 PM

Default 1966 -1967 Chevelle inspiration needed

We are looking at building a 1967 chevelle with some major body mods and a tube chassis. I'm looking for great stance some bigger wheels that tuck since we will build the floors and chassis we can set that stuff up. Pie cut sectioning is not out of the ball game here.

As far as motor we are thinking of an SB2.2 with a procharger, Jim Watkins my engine builder guys says that it would rip in front of a 6 spd.

I'm basically looking for inspiration ideas and photos of cars that you guys have saved on your hard drive or have seen on the net.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Administrator

An SB2.2 with forced induction would make some serious numbers.

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 10-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Lateral-G Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks
We are looking at building a 1967 chevelle with some major body mods and a tube chassis. I'm looking for great stance some bigger wheels that tuck since we will build the floors and chassis we can set that stuff up. Pie cut sectioning is not out of the ball game here.

As far as motor we are thinking of an SB2.2 with a procharger, Jim Watkins my engine builder guys says that it would rip in front of a 6 spd.

I'm basically looking for inspiration ideas and photos of cars that you guys have saved on your hard drive or have seen on the net.

Thanks
Sounds exactly like you need a designer! I'll throw my hat in and there's a bunch of other talented guys here too. Don't look for photos of other cars, especially other Chevelles, let's break some new ground!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:33 PM

Jeff Schwartz has a replacement chassis now that may save you some time in fabrication. I worked on one today and it's a real nice piece. Mostly circle track components. Check it out if you're interested.

http://www.schwartzperformance.com/products.htm
Old 10-19-2006, 06:38 AM

i'm not sure if your looking for tubbed cars or not, but here's mine that i built last year.hope this helps you get fired up.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2006, 06:49 AM

I think this is a first for me, I actually disagree with Jason (Sorry). I think it's a good idea to look to see what has been done (to death sometimes) already. If you like something, incorporate it into your ride with a personal touch. Or, "break new ground". Either way, it's a good idea to have some sort of visual road map in front of you to keep the project on track, stay motivated, and justify (sometimes to your wife) the hard-earned moolah that you invest .

Hermance Design
My Facebook
Old 10-19-2006, 08:32 AM

Thanked 1,333 Times in 496 Posts

Some cars like the 66-7 Chevelle have been popular thru the years because they look so good.It is too easy to get caught up in making custom changes for the sake of changes and end up losing the essence of why the car looked so cool in the first place. I think with a 66-7 Chevelle "less is more".
Old 10-19-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill
Some cars like the 66-7 Chevelle have been popular thru the years because they look so good.It is too easy to get caught up in making custom changes for the sake of changes and end up losing the essence of why the car looked so cool in the first place. I think with a 66-7 Chevelle "less is more".
A 67 just looks like it is going a 100 mph already, I want to refine the look of the 67. Sometimes a guy can over due the car with too many body mods that it looks funny or not even like the original at all. Which can be good depending on what you start with. I'm basically looking for pics of nice looking chevelles. I cannot think of too many just totally hooked up chevelles.

C6 corvette suspension with custom upper a arms will be the chassis. We will build almost everything like usual. I have hired a designer already, by the name of Eric Black, He has done an awesome job on the previous cars I have had him do.

I'm just looking for some more thoughts whether good or bad.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

If you'll be channeling the body, I can think of no better inspiration than the 66 Fairlane built by Charlie Libby and now owned by Jimmy Mulvey up here in NY. This car has incredible presence and performance to match. The 315's up front are a bit tough to steer at low speeds, but the look is dramatic. The Fairlane has a custom full tube frame and a chanelled body--just as you have described. Charlie took dumpster diving to a whole new level by employing a number of Nextel Cup "take-off" parts including brakes, truck arms, etc.

Other details include flat silver powdercoated trim (all of it) and mildly enlarged/flared wheelwells. Interior switches and accessories are deleted or hidden. Charlie also had some one off billet emblems made up that say "Stroker" He put them on the dash, front fenders and decklid. TLT Racetek is presently converting the car to dry sump to solve some problems created by the external wet sump configuration. A custom tank will be mounted between the right front wheel and the bumper. The Stef's oil pan will help keep the crank centerline low.

The world needs one less "stock" Chevelle.

https://lateral-g.net/members/libby/

Ridetech.com
Old 10-19-2006, 10:16 AM

The blown SB2 is hard to pull off in a street motor. Since SB2 heads are 48CC to 54CC Chambers, a 2 ring piston is required to build a deep enough dish piston to lower compression enough to blow it. And 2 ring pistons on the street are not the hot set up. Thats the bad news.

The good news is a big cube SB2 motor does not need a blower to make 700HP by accident!