Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 08-13-2016, 12:35 PM

Regarding water intake...I've tried to increase my intake...but all it does is make me pee more. WTF good does it due to push liters and liters of water through your system if all you are doing is peeing it right back out again?

I don't drink any types of soda, 2 cups of coffee every morning is it, unsweetened tea if I desire something other than water and maybe a bit of red wine every now and then. I can tell if I start to get dehydrated as I'll start getting some kidney pain, this usually happens when working hard outside, sweating at a racetrack all day or something like that. Pushing some water clears it right up. Otherwise I have an insulated cup with ice water in it with me at all times during the day every day but I drink maybe 26-36 ounces a day...no where near what most say I should. Anymore than that and I have to make sure I'm around a facility at all times it seems...
Old 08-14-2016, 09:47 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Regarding water intake...I've tried to increase my intake...but all it does is make me pee more. WTF good does it due to push liters and liters of water through your system if all you are doing is peeing it right back out again?

I don't drink any types of soda, 2 cups of coffee every morning is it, unsweetened tea if I desire something other than water and maybe a bit of red wine every now and then. I can tell if I start to get dehydrated as I'll start getting some kidney pain, this usually happens when working hard outside, sweating at a racetrack all day or something like that. Pushing some water clears it right up. Otherwise I have an insulated cup with ice water in it with me at all times during the day every day but I drink maybe 26-36 ounces a day...no where near what most say I should. Anymore than that and I have to make sure I'm around a facility at all times it seems...
Have you givin it consistancy? Reason I ask is I had the same problem, took about a week for my body to acclimate.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
Todd, thank you for resurrecting this post, funny, I've been eyeing it the last few weeks thinking of saying something, but not knowing what too say. But, anyway's, love the topic, VERY close to my heart.....

Lance, great for you. I feel like I know you from here/general forum and Investin102 and what we have in common in our lives and hobbies. looking forward to meeting you one day....

Michael from Plano, dude, serious congrats!! That is super inspiring (and hard too!!). Was thinking to myself as I was reading it and thinking, yeah, the grocery bill will be higher, but long term medical costs will go down. I'm sure of it.

As far as me goes, well, turned 50 on the 2nd. Feel good for 50, but not good enough in general. Diet is about 75% whole foods, 25% good food but processed. Funny, when I go out and eat and order a hamburger (my favorite) i get sick/nauseous, so can only eat half.

Haven't lost any weight since I last typed here, 180 trying to get to 172ish att 5'11. My doctor says don't worry about it. I just did major blood work and full physical everything came back good. But still battling energy. I'm thinking age, pace (own a small company with 10 great employees) has something to do with it. Although, I'm having problems with my stomach, I have some complactied gut issues going on. I get the runs quite easy and it has something to do with too much and not enough proteins. Nobody has been able to find out what's going on yet. So, I have a doctor, physchitrist, physiologist, Nutrionalist, and I see all (cept the physc) on a monthly basis. I've had servere ADHD/anxiety all my life, but have only sought treatment the last 5 years (being in denial of it and not thinking it really existed, knowing where all different anyways....). Trying to control the symptoms by diet in some cases is merely not enough. I'm on a clinical trial for a new med (I hate, yes hate, taking medicine, too many side effects) and while I've been on it one year (I take 1/8 the recommended dosage) the brain activity has slowed, the side effects have been ringing of the ears and jaws being clamped/locked at nite during sleep. Mental health is very important, and very much has to do with our physical health as well.....

So, summary for me, at 50, learning to "take it easy", "chill", etc..etc...Have three kids (25,23,22) our 25 year old, Christopher, just got married and is currently a mental health theripist (working on his doctorate) and just got married to a sweetie he met in graduate school. My 23 year old (Brandon)is a music teacher and very talented individual. And my 22 year old daughter (Taylor) is a pastor, just finishing up her degree in biblical studies and leadership. My wifey of 28 years is my business partner at our company, and let me tell you all, it ain't easy, but, it makes us much stronger as a couple. We've been dating for 30 years and very much into "Serving" each other, a byproduct of following Christ for 20 years). We have a very good balance and my staff at work is helping me create a less busy/stressful schedule, building a corporation is a lot of work. And the one thing I've learned from it is, IT HAS NOTHING to do with my product and how good i am with it, ITS ALL ABOUT the people, how we treat them (Customers, vendors, employees, tax people).

So, things to do for me, need more energy, must make exercise more CONSISTANT, I do it, and am in good shape, but consistancy is most important.
Gotta go to the kidney doc and get checked out, my grandpa died of renil kidney failure, my 9 year old nephew had kidney cancer three years ago, and I found out yesterday, my dad has a lemon sized tumor on one of his kidneys (he just went in the hospital Wednesday for emergence gall bladder surgery and they found a host of problems) YEs, he's bout 100 lbs overweight and lives a sedentary lifestyle, I love him dearly, but it is sickening watch someone you love decay like that, especially when you can do something about it....

As I sign out this morning, this thread is a good reminder of what we/I need to do. IF YOU HAVE YOUR HEALTH< YOU HAVE YOUR WEALTH!!!! Live well, love lots. Remember to tell your loved ones you love them and care about them, life's too short. I Have to remind myself, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say nothing".....

Cheers all from sunny CAlifornia.......
Mike, We all have challenges with our health, no doubt! Keep fighting the good fight and learning.

I know you are a man of faith like me. Let me share something with you that I heard recently. It ties right into the simple living and contentment we've touched on is this thread. Jesus was a simple man himself. You don't read or hear about his possessions. Not a home, clothes, jewelry, nothing that I'm aware of. He was a carpenter that came to serve. I think a lot can be learned from that example alone. Complexity leads us away from our faith. Simplicity gets us closer and give us more time to be a faithful disciple.

Our mental picture absolutely affects our physical energy levels. There are times now where I recognize my attitude and what it's doing to my energy levels. A simple attitude change can turn it around if it's mentally driven. It's almost like a light switch. I think we can all agree that self management is one of life's biggest challenges. Controlling our attitudes and thoughts is no cake walk! I do believe self management is one of the big keys to success and progression. We all have bad thoughts and sour attitudes, the question is, what do you do with them? Are you capable of forgiving yourself and moving on or do they dictate your actions? I personally don't think it's possible to eliminate the sour thoughts no matter what you do. I think the key is to accept them and not berate yourself for having them, then move on and focus on a new and positive perspective. I spent an entire year working on optimism and faith. It didn't get rid of the sour thoughts, but it gave me tools and new perspectives that will serve me the rest of my life!

In regards to energy, keep experimenting with nutrition and you are 100% correct, work outs create energy and diminish stress. There are days when I am metaling fatigued and force myself to work out. I always come out of those workouts energized! I'd also make sure you are giving yourself a break from work every 2 hours. A walk around the block or a call home, etc.. We tend to work with to few breaks. Some healthy snacks in the morning and afternoon also help keep your blood sugar stay consistent. Most days, I'll kick back in my truck in the mid afternoon and close my eyes and try to clear my mind for 5-15 minutes. Many times I'll breath deeply similar to meditation. It always moves me up a notch and I'll follow it up with a green tea with some honey which is a healthy way to get a little pick me up.

Am I energetic all the time, hardly! I have made some big gains in managing my energy and making the best of my days by knowing my bodies cycles and what makes me as healthy as possible. Progress is all we can hope for.

You nailed it by saying health is wealth!
Old 08-14-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Lance, great for you. I feel like I know you from here/general forum and Investin102 and what we have in common in our lives and hobbies. looking forward to meeting you one day....
Feeling is mutual...I'll be in Vegas for SEMA this year...maybe then?

Quote:
Have you givin it consistancy? Reason I ask is I had the same problem, took about a week for my body to acclimate.
That's what my wife keeps saying as well, I just get tired of peeing all the time before I get acclimated I guess...
Old 08-15-2016, 09:37 AM

Healthy Habit #4

Day One: Read something positive first thing and last thing every day.
Day Two: Eat a breakfast packed full of nutrients
Day Three: Establish your sleep cycle and stick to it.

Day Four:
Work in periods of rest throughout your day.

Studies have shown that we can only focus for 90-120 minutes before we need a break. Try walking away from your work for 10 minutes at least twice a day to take a walk, read a book, meditate, and clear your mind. These breaks are a good time to grab a healthy snack like an apple or raw nuts. You will come back with more energy and focus. I'd also urge you to schedule in a 30 minute lunch everyday. I work my schedule around these things most days. We don't have to be as reactive as most think.

This is energy management. If this subject interests you, pick up the book "The Power of Full Engagement".
Old 08-16-2016, 09:32 AM

Healthy Habit #5

Day Four: Work rest into your daily schedule.

Day Five:
Slice out the time to spend quality time with your spouse or family. Less couples and families are taking the time to sit down for dinner on a daily basis. This is crucial for the harmonics of a marriage and family. When it isn't a priority, the connection fades. This ranks right up their with oxygen and health.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:02 PM

Healthy Habit #6

Day Five: May family time a priority in your daily schedule.

Day #6:
Simplify your life in some way. Clean out the clutter and give it to charity. Put the bills on auto pay. Put together a real debt reduction strategy. Make a list of the most valuable things in your personal life and business. Move towards focusing on them more and more....

Americans wear a complexity badge like it's an olympic medal. I've been there, it's nothing to be proud of. Complexity leads to burn out, stress, and lack of a value driven life in many cases. Do yourself a favor, start living with more margin in your days. Make time for what's of greatest importance. Reducing complexity is a great place to start! It will take time to unwind the massive web of complexity, but it starts any day you choose.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:59 AM

Healthy Habit #7

Day Five: Make family time a priority in your daily schedule.
Day Six: Find one way to simplify your life today.

Day Seven:
Make time to nourish your spirit. If you are a believer, get to church this Sunday, open your bible, or say a prayer. If it's nature, get out to the lake, into the woods, or up in the mountains.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:19 AM

Healthy Habit #8

Day Five: Make family time a priority in your daily schedule.
Day Six: Find one way to simplify your life today.
Day Seven: Schedule time to nourish your spirit.

Day Eight:
Order a book on health and nutrition and educate yourself. Your diet has a HUGE effect on the state of your health. Most Americans are in the dark when it comes to what's healthy and what's not. Sorry fellas, high school health class was way to long ago. This is a key skill in the game of life. A skill that can result in a greater quality of life and can influence your family to better health.

A couple books:
Live Young Forever-Jack Lalanne
All Pro Diet-Tony Gonzalez
Old 08-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Both great people who truly practiced what they preached.
Any body who doesn't know who Jack LaLane is/was, needs to look up his bio. He was a pioneer in exercise and nutrition....