Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 06-30-2018, 08:10 AM

Moving right along Lance, I love the tool selection.

Before long you will drag home another project car, it's a sickness I tell ya

My 68 Torino
Old 07-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

You got yourself some nice tool there. I wish I had the room. It's looking good.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
Since you had a two post before I will be interested in your opinion of the 4 post after using it awhile.
So I'm knee deep into my first project on the new lift, and thought I'd update you all with my experiences. The project was to pull the third member out of the rear axle to inspect and repair (metal in gear oil) and it involved getting the back half of the car up in the air and secure while lowering the rear axle enough to get the third member out from under the mufflers.

What I have found is the pad extensions for the chassis jacks are either too short or too long.

The long extensions won't fit under the frame at ride height and the short extensions won't lift the car high enough to get my jack stands under the frame.

There are a couple of different options to fix this and I'll probably implement them both. First a shorter set of jack stands (preferably with a flat pad type top) would make this a LOT easier and second, a set of extensions machined about halfway between the long ones and the short ones in length would also help.

Here is what I ended up doing for now. I used two of the short extensions on each side and lifted the car from the #4 body mount position (right in front of rear tires) high enough to get my jackstands under the frame behind the rear tires. I then moved the chassis jack forward far enough to get out of the way and lifted it up high enough to just support the middle part of the frame as a safety measure.

At this point the car was very stable on the ramps and the axle was hanging low enough to get the third member out.

As far as doing the work once the car was lifted...none of this was an issue. I have plenty of room to move around both in between the ramps and outside of each ramp. My arms are long enough to reach in from the outside if needed and the ramps go plenty high enough that I never banged my head, not even once.

I like having a place right there to set tools and parts, this is especially handy when working alone and need one hand to hold a part and can set a tool or two close by to reach for with the other hand.

The lift is VERY sturdy and goes up and down with no binding or issues. Very pleased with it's operation.

I did have one other issue I had to address. The rolling jacks were almost impossible to move forward and back and especially if they got twisted sideways just a bit. It took me a while messing with the adjustments on the wheels before I finally figured out it was the wheels themselves binding up. There is no bearing or anything, just a solid wheel riding on a stepped solid axle, bone dry... Any sideways pressure on the wheel lodged it against the step on the axle and locked it up.

I pulled every wheel off and put a coat of wheel bearing grease on the axle stub and step and reinstalled them...the jacks glide almost effortlessly now up and down the ramps. HUGE difference...

As far as working in the rest of the shop, it's been great as well. The AC keeps it very nice in here even when it's brutal hot outside. I hardly ever even turn the lights on as there is a lot of light that comes in thru the (6) 48" x 48" windows up high on each wall. And the floor surface is just awesome. It cleans up great and is pretty tough as well. I dropped a control arm from about 5' high on it yesterday and while it put a mark in the clear coat on the floor...just rubbing my foot over the mark made it mostly disappear. I'm sure at some point the marks, scrapes, and gouges will start to add up but the easy thing is a simple coat of clear coat over the top will fix it right up again.

And no Greg...it does not hide whatever is dropped on it... It is very easy to find the nuts and bolts my fat fingers drop to the floor.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:37 PM

That right there is exactly why my shop with have a 2 post.
dhutton (07-10-2018), GregWeld (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:55 PM

Ultimately for a home based shop, or small biz, having both style lifts would be awesome, although costly and unlikely. The asymmetrical lift I have is great, but I would love to have a 4 post with rolling 3 ton hydraulic jacks for the ultimate in versatility. Just my .02
Old 07-10-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
For the Jeep or Toyota, Uncle Rico?

Lance, looks like a great opportunity to install some V bands on the exhaust, you know you’ll be back in there at some point.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Move the jack up so it rides on the top of the lift where the tires go. Works way better that way and gives full expansion at all heights.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 07-11-2018, 08:07 AM

Rotary has these lift blocks for their rolling air jacks in two different heights. I have 8 of the tall ones and 8 of the short ones. They are nice and "grippy" for lifting on a round axle, pinch rail, etc. and don't dig in or leave marks.

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

"I own a Mopar, so I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't actually fit without modification."
Old 07-11-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Yeah, but the drive on makes other things so much easier like wheel alignments, corner balancing, ride height changes, oil changes etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelteredV View Post
Ultimately for a home based shop, or small biz, having both style lifts would be awesome, although costly and unlikely. The asymmetrical lift I have is great, but I would love to have a 4 post with rolling 3 ton hydraulic jacks for the ultimate in versatility. Just my .02
Yup yup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
For the Jeep or Toyota, Uncle Rico?

Lance, looks like a great opportunity to install some V bands on the exhaust, you know you’ll be back in there at some point.
I hear ya... You know the exhaust from the X-pipe back is still the same that was on the car when I bought it over 10 years ago... It's well past time for an upgrade on it in many ways, V-bands included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcojb View Post
Move the jack up so it rides on the top of the lift where the tires go. Works way better that way and gives full expansion at all heights.
That would be a 4" jump up on the whole jack assembly, pretty sure the pads wouldn't go under the frame at their lowest point then. Interesting out of the box thought though.

Keep in mind I'm still very happy with this lift. I knew I'd have to find a way around this very issue before I ever bought it. It is still WAY better than laying on the ground trying to do this stuff...

I really think the answer is very simply just shorter jack stands. I'm debating on either modifying mine or trying one of these sets.

10.71" - 15.6" tall

13" - 21" tall

Most stands (including mine) start at about 15" high
Old 07-11-2018, 09:52 AM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I have a set of the "big reds" --- they're real lightweight and a very small base.

I keep them in the trailer and use them more as a "chalk" to check the floor jack if changing a tire. They're "okay" but that small base -- under anything at an angle - that's dangerous. Dangerous enough doing that anyway.

Last edited by GregWeld; 07-11-2018 at 09:56 AM.