Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 10-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

If your goal is sub 4 sec 0-60, build an engine that makes around 600hp and the money you save on a TT SBC/BBC will need to go into a traction control or launch control system.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMorrison View Post
If your goal is sub 4 sec 0-60, build an engine that makes around 600hp and the money you save on a TT SBC/BBC will need to go into a traction control or launch control system.
That, or spend the extra money on relocating the motor to the rear over the axle so you can get traction!
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 10-16-2008, 06:32 PM

You got your answer from people that know from first hand experience yet you still have an opinion on weather their right or wrong.

Nelson motors run $35k - $65k..
Old 10-16-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
That, or spend the extra money on relocating the motor to the rear over the axle so you can get traction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich-allen View Post
You got your answer from people that know from first hand experience yet you still have an opinion on weather their right or wrong.

Nelson motors run $35k - $65k..
. ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
I such a system that expensive?

Thanks Hannes
Old 10-26-2008, 07:09 PM

Default turbo knowledge

well as a true turbo guy (aka;nut), i have learned a thing or two about them.
First the main difference between a bbc and a sbc is displacement. which is everything with a turbo motor on the street. A bigger cid motor will replace the lost torque that is caused by turbo lag. Lag is the tendency to be doggy at rpms where you have little or no boost. now that doesn't mean you shouldn't run a small block, it means you should consider the cubes first. a larger engine (cid) will be easier to drive on the street and will be quicker off the line when not building boost first. Turbos can be very fun on the street and build power that hard to beat. Its possible to build very large small blocks these days. but building them isn't all that cheap when compared to a bbc of the same size.
Just some things to think on, hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:36 AM
Supporting Member

Say, "LSx Turbo".
Ty O'Neal
"She Devil" aka. Betty
1969/70 Camaro SS
427 LS3, 600
Keisler Road and Track T-56
Full size 3 link and custom roll cage
315mm tires on rear, should fit the same on front. Worked to design a more effective shape.
======================
"Chester's '65"
1965 Buick Riviera
Aiming for true PT Status with
the best available from the 70's and 80's
======================
Old 10-28-2008, 03:45 AM

im with countryboy on this... since its a streetcar id consider the offboost performance, (even nelson builds large smallblocks, 427 and 454 cui) where a v6 could deliver the same power at higher boost and rpm.. a larger dispacement engine is just much more driveable and pleasant on the street...

id go with the big block, especially if you have one allready.. and never mind the people going "you cant hook this or that" if you build a big block thats capable of 1500 hp, there is no law that states you cant leave the line at a reasonable rpm.. or limit boost in first gear...
Old 10-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes_slanec View Post

. ???????

I such a system that expensive?

Thanks Hannes

There are UK systems that offer launch and traction control for turbo engines that can be had for around $2500. Add in the wheel sensors and other misc electronics and you can probably have a complete system for about $3000-$3500.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:07 AM

if you are installing efi ect. anyway, id install an autronic.. it has all the above fearures, and i think dalhems is the sweedish dealer...
Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
well as a true turbo guy (aka;nut), i have learned a thing or two about them.
First the main difference between a bbc and a sbc is displacement. which is everything with a turbo motor on the street. A bigger cid motor will replace the lost torque that is caused by turbo lag. Lag is the tendency to be doggy at rpms where you have little or no boost. now that doesn't mean you shouldn't run a small block, it means you should consider the cubes first. a larger engine (cid) will be easier to drive on the street and will be quicker off the line when not building boost first. Turbos can be very fun on the street and build power that hard to beat. Its possible to build very large small blocks these days. but building them isn't all that cheap when compared to a bbc of the same size.
Just some things to think on, hope this helps.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_454 View Post
im with countryboy on this... since its a streetcar id consider the offboost performance, (even nelson builds large smallblocks, 427 and 454 cui) where a v6 could deliver the same power at higher boost and rpm.. a larger dispacement engine is just much more driveable and pleasant on the street...

id go with the big block, especially if you have one allready.. and never mind the people going "you cant hook this or that" if you build a big block thats capable of 1500 hp, there is no law that states you cant leave the line at a reasonable rpm.. or limit boost in first gear...

That is what I thought too, my plan was actually to go with around 9-9,5:1 and set the wastegate at low 6-9PSI only.

That way I have a efficient stop and go traffic behavior and a good off boost performance.

Aside of that I have been told that it is a fairytail that flow isnīt important for turbocharged engines, if so the BBC with my Dart 320 heads will flow much better than any SBC.

I further plan to run CNG (Natural Compressed Gas), it is enviroment friendly and got higher octane numbers.

Thanks so far for the comments

As for the hook, I really plan to do anything like well adjusted 4-link, everything heavy in the trunk like sound-system, battery, and even the radiator will come in the rear, under the trunk to transfer the weight.

As soon as I have money, I change to an alu block, I will first then buy the turbo setup.