Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 03-20-2018, 11:52 AM

Default LS Timing Chain Tensioners

So I'm in the process of replacing the cam and valve springs (done!) in my 2011 5.3, and I find myself on the fence with replacing the stock spring-type (LS3) timing chain tensioner. When the Gen IV was new, there were lots of complaints (and evidence) about this tensioner breaking (causing lots of valvetrain failure), and the idea was to switch to the static LS2 type dampener (for lack of moving parts/brittle plastic).

I bought the LS2 tensioner, but it's a big pain to install the thing, as the oil pan has to be dropped partially to access this one bolt on the oil pump pickup tube. My C4 crossmember makes this challenging, but not impossible. If I'm wrong here, please let me know.

What are your opinions on reliability of one type of tensioner vs. the other? I'm looking for experience from the tons of people on here rockin' LS3s and the like; many of you also own late-model LS-powered vehicles and may have had some experience here. Please chime in.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:23 PM

I always install the LS2 style tensioner. The LS3 style becomes brittle over time and fails as you said.

While the C5-R chain is also the go to for most..... I simply run the IWIS chain which has never let me down.

1993 Mazda FD RX-7, built LS7, T56 Magnum, Holley HP, Davis Tech TC, 8.8" 3.73 Cobra IRS diff, DSS axles, Ohlins coilovers, big brakes.
CCW 18x11 front 315/30/18's and 18x12.5 rear on 335/30/18 RA1's, 2850lbs
10.31@137mph 165mph Shift-Sector 1/2 mile speed
441ci AllPro headed motor and 200lb weigh reduction in the works....
Old 03-20-2018, 08:45 PM

Ls2 “tensioner” for me all day long. It won’t come apart and end up in your oil pan.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:57 PM

Thanks so far, guys. I'm glad some clear engine maniacs piped up--responses were what I figured. You're killing my hopes for defensible laziness. I'm kind of wondering if they'd improved the durability of the dynamic tensioner after the first year or two of production, since the design is by no means unique to GM (i.e., Toyota and others have very similar setups), although I haven't researched the luck of other manufacturers . . .

With the turbo that's going in, durability (goes with simplicity in this case) should be worth my efforts . . .
Old 03-22-2018, 06:59 PM

https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-k30675600/all

I used this recently on a 5.3 that wasn't drilled for the ls2 dampener and it was pretty easy install, would this allow for the lazy way out?

72 Nova SS, Plans have changed a little:artmorrison front subframe, and rear 3 link, pretty much stock ls1 and six speed with a single turbo for around 550hp. with a few other things mixed in.

current cruiser: "The green machine"

'70 Impala 4drht, 26K original miles, 2" drop springs and large swaybars, drives pretty good for a land yahct

and why do we modify everything...."BECAUSE STOCK SUCKS"
Old 03-22-2018, 07:21 PM

The lazy way would be avoiding dropping my oil pan to unseat the pickup tube (and one pesky bolt that holds it to the pump)--the engine is in my car, so removal is a bit more difficult. The Trickflow thing you listed is basically the LS2 dampener, which I will be installing, once my heinous stiff neck goes away. Thus far, there seems to be no easy way out, short of inviting disaster by leaving the stock tensioner in. There's enough potential for destruction in making nearly 600 horsepower with a safely constructed engine . . .

In researching this issue to death (including as many LS1Tech threads as I could find), I could swear that many threads have been removed since the problem erupted among G8 and LS3 Corvette owners. The Corvette owners really seemed to want the problem to be so much more expensive and complicated than the G8 or Camaro owners . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTANOVA View Post
https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-k30675600/all

I used this recently on a 5.3 that wasn't drilled for the ls2 dampener and it was pretty easy install, would this allow for the lazy way out?