Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 01-13-2008, 09:12 AM

Default 1970 Chevelle SBC headers

I'm looking for a high quality set of headers for my Chevelle (something that will actually bolt in). At least 1 3/4" primary and 3" collector. I've got AFT 210 angle plug heads. Any suggestions?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:47 PM

Default dynatech

We recently tested some Dynatech headers ,they fit great,sounded, and ran out performance wise very strong, that would be my choice.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Why 1.75" primary... engine specs?

I can tell you now, do NOT buy Hooker Super Comps.

I have a 12 year old set that fits well... but the last couple sets I've installed in others cars with the last 2 years were terrible compared to my old headers... the welding quality is terrible and the fit is even worse. I think their jigs are old and beat to hell and it shows.

The newer production hooker headers had flanges welded on crooked and the collectors pointed UP right into the floorpan. We had to put a 10' stick of tubing into the collectors and have 2 guys hang from it with the car on a lift to bend the headers down so we could put pipes on them and clear the factory transmission crossmember.

Stahl makes a nice fitting SBC header for A-bodies, but have your wallet ready. Probably the best fitting and fit/finish of any "off the shelf" header I've tried.

http://www.stahlheaders.com/Web101P_1.html

Depending on your engine specs 1-5/8" may be a better match-- in which case I've had good luck with the fit of Hedman and Dynomax on A-bodies and the price is right.

Last edited by Blown353; 01-13-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is that I currently have a set of Hooker Super Comps. I've had to really pound out the number three tube to clear the plug and wire. There were other fitment problems too.

The reason I went to 1 3/4" is because I have a similar set up to yours, 383ci, forged rotating assembly, Pro Charger with 12psi, EFI.... You actually helped me out about a year ago and supplied me with the specs for your converstion to a serpantine drive for the Pro Charger accessory drive. Thanks again, that has worked out extremely well.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown353
Why 1.75" primary... engine specs?

I can tell you now, do NOT buy Hooker Super Comps.

I have a 12 year old set that fits well... but the last couple sets I've installed in others cars with the last 2 years were terrible compared to my old headers... the welding quality is terrible and the fit is even worse. I think their jigs are old and beat to hell and it shows.

The newer production hooker headers had flanges welded on crooked and the collectors pointed UP right into the floorpan. We had to put a 10' stick of tubing into the collectors and have 2 guys hang from it with the car on a lift to bend the headers down so we could put pipes on them and clear the factory transmission crossmember.

i recently ran into the same problems with a friends Ford. both collectors were pointing up about 1 1/2 inches and i had to modify primary tubes on one of them because the spark plugs didnt have enough room for boots of any kind. i was really surprised because my Hooker Super Comps that have been on my Olds for 14 years fit so nicely.