Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 03-03-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFRESH View Post
Has anyone used the "Racedeck" flooring? I believe they are some sort of industrial tile (not sure of composition) and it looks nice. Not sure about durability issues or rolling a floor jack around on it--let along welding.

Doug
Dont waste your money, Race deck will set you back twice the cost of epoxy coatings. I have a similar product in one of my trailers (Rib deck) and it is a Bit!#* to clean because of the embossed patterns in the tile. It can handle any weight but dont even consider welding, grinder etc. It will melt the composite plastic tiles in a minute.
I agree with Fesler, etched stain is the way to go, it will outlast epoxy 4fold. You can add a non slip additive in a sealer coat on top of the stain etched floor. However I have had the sealer topping flake over the years but the stain looks like new. We have a ton of salt/snow issues here most likely causing the chirting effect in my sealer only.
I also had a client that hired a contractor to apply to his workshop floor a bedliner coating same as you see in trucks. The product was made by Rhino I believe, it turned out pretty cool but havent seen the floor since we closed on that project.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I get asked this all the time.... "why don't you paint your floor"..... My response is always the same.... "this isn't my house - this is my SHOP... I want to come out here and work". I didn't even want a "sealer" on my floor - I live where it's wet all the time - I really like staying on my feet... Concrete is hard on your tush.

Unless you're building a "show garage"... just leave 'em alone. That way you can drag heavy stuff all over the place... you can weld and cut... you can spill oil... and when you get all done -- you can do all that and you don't care...

It really is all a matter of what you want to get out of your "shop" -- you want it to be a shop -- or a showplace... if it's a showplace -- do the epoxy - cause they look GREAT...
Old 03-14-2010, 09:01 AM

I´ve had epoxy floor and some industrial acrylic covering.
On my new shop i had industrial tile that contains granite.
They have been used a lot for the last six mounts, still looks like new.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2010, 10:54 AM

I used u-coat-it epoxy and am very happy. I followed the directions to a tee, scrubbed the crap out of it and etched it. I used grit in the clear, no slip issues here. I did it almost 4 years ago and have found it very durable.

Like Matt said, "...on any epoxy floor (professional or not), you MUST cover the floor beneath your welding...the splatter and sparks will burn and discolor it.".

That floor made my garage much easier to clean up, much easier to find stuff I drop on the floor and made the garage much brighter.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors