Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 07-17-2019, 01:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal87 View Post
Do you think it is worth to go with double versus single adjustable? its double the price so I have been ify about it
That is a difficult question to answer. It all comes down to what you want to do with the car, and what kind of mindset you have. I'll do my best to explain the differences you're paying for between single and double, and hopefully you can better decide which route is best for you.

Most shocks have a bypass valve, or valves that control the amount of fluid diverted around the shim stack that fluid is forced through, which controls compression and/or rebound. If you close the valve down, more fluid is forced through the shim stack, which stiffens the shock up.

On a JRi, you're typically given several options. The first is a single adjustable shock which has an adjustable bypass valve that can be configured for either compression adjustment, or "bleed" adjustment, which can be thought of as is compression and rebound controlled by one adjustment.

Double adjustable shocks use that same adjustable bypass valve, and add the ability to change the preload on the actual shim stack itself, which gives you a WAY larger range of adjustment than simply using the "bleed" bypass valve.

In other words, a single adjustable JRi is going to work about the same as a single adjustable Ridetech or similar monotube shock, but a double adjustable JRi is going to give you control over the shim stack that you aren't going to get from pretty much any other shock on the market without taking it apart and re-valving it.

We typically spec non adjustable or single adjustable JRis for customers who want a shock with good all around performance, and might drive on track, but aren't worried about being a top competitor, and we normally order double adjustables for the guys who will use the additional range of adjustment dial in their car for the track, and then dial things back out for a more comfortable ride on the street.

If you're someone that likes to tinker and upgrade, and you've bought stuff twice in search of better performance, you might just want to get the doubles now.

Matt

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40
Old 07-18-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@BOS View Post
That is a difficult question to answer. It all comes down to what you want to do with the car, and what kind of mindset you have. I'll do my best to explain the differences you're paying for between single and double, and hopefully you can better decide which route is best for you.

Most shocks have a bypass valve, or valves that control the amount of fluid diverted around the shim stack that fluid is forced through, which controls compression and/or rebound. If you close the valve down, more fluid is forced through the shim stack, which stiffens the shock up.

On a JRi, you're typically given several options. The first is a single adjustable shock which has an adjustable bypass valve that can be configured for either compression adjustment, or "bleed" adjustment, which can be thought of as is compression and rebound controlled by one adjustment.

Double adjustable shocks use that same adjustable bypass valve, and add the ability to change the preload on the actual shim stack itself, which gives you a WAY larger range of adjustment than simply using the "bleed" bypass valve.

In other words, a single adjustable JRi is going to work about the same as a single adjustable Ridetech or similar monotube shock, but a double adjustable JRi is going to give you control over the shim stack that you aren't going to get from pretty much any other shock on the market without taking it apart and re-valving it.

We typically spec non adjustable or single adjustable JRis for customers who want a shock with good all around performance, and might drive on track, but aren't worried about being a top competitor, and we normally order double adjustables for the guys who will use the additional range of adjustment dial in their car for the track, and then dial things back out for a more comfortable ride on the street.

If you're someone that likes to tinker and upgrade, and you've bought stuff twice in search of better performance, you might just want to get the doubles now.

Matt
Matt,

Is this something you sell? If so can you price me out?

Texas A&M Alumni
Old 07-19-2019, 05:08 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal87 View Post
Matt,

Is this something you sell? If so can you price me out?
Sure! We're setup with JJ and JRi. I'll get pricing together for you!

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40
Old 07-21-2019, 09:55 PM

I will echo what Matt said. I have 650/450's on my 69 Camaro. My car also came with 450's up front. I bought the 650's and moved the 450's to the rear.

1971 Camaro 416 LT1 Project