Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Race Cars and Modern Pro-Street
User Name
Password

Old 08-04-2008, 03:14 PM

Default Here is my race car

This is the University of North Carolina Charlotte 2008 FSAE car that I built this year it was basically what I called a 3-1/2 person team. I machined ever part on the car fitted the most chassis tube 32 in all theirs a bout 50 or so tubes in the chassis and allso welded everthing. I allso did most on the body work on the molds for the carbon someone else pulled the reverses and laid the carbon though. This car is my pride and joy. The picture is from me driving at competition in Detroit.
Attached Images

Last edited by B Schein; 08-04-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:37 PM

For a second, I thought that was the one that I took a picture of at the NAIAS. But the number on it is wrong....

Old 08-05-2008, 09:26 AM

Those are so stinkin cool. Does the school keep those or does somebody get to take them home.

Rodger
Old 08-06-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks View Post
Those are so stinkin cool. Does the school keep those or does somebody get to take them home.

Rodger

The university keep them, in general most teams tend to keep their cars running for 2 – 3 years. It depends on how long people from the team that built it stay around. The turn over rate of students is high and once the people who built the car are gone they seam to fall into despair rather quick. These cars are scratch designed and built buy engineering undergrads so the reliability isn’t the greatest they require constant maintenance to keep them going.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:51 PM

Looks like fun !!! whats the power and weight??
Old 08-06-2008, 05:36 PM

The weight and power is all over the place depending on the engine and chassis configuration used steel verses carbon fiber we always have built steel cars. Since I have been involved for the last three years we have built a car that was 569 pounds with 85 rwhp Honda f4i. The next year we built a car in the totally opposite direction with a 450cc signal ktm it was only 23 hp (was suppose to be turboed that didn’t quite work out) it was 328 pounds wet. This year’s car has the so-called unicorn of FSAE engines an Aprilia SXV 550 twin. It weighed 383 wet and makes 50 rwhp. Keep in mind we are limited to engines under 610cc and the must run trough a 20 mm restrictor.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:57 AM

Is there a way to get plans for building one or at least requirements. I'd like to attempt a build.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:10 PM

My son, Adam Carter, participated in the Mini Baja team at UNC Charlotte some 10 years ago. ALL the cars are designed and built by the team every year. That is a tough challenge. Oh yes, they also have to raise the money! It is a great invitation into running a team!!!.
Conrad
Original owner of 1974 Z28. Ordered car with 4 speed, LT, Air Conditioning. Numbers matching car. Now equipped with Edelbrock Pro Flow fuel injection, 96 Zette Wheels, B-Car front disk, WS6 rear disk.

Also original owner of much-modified 1984 Grand National. Ridetech front & Detroit Speed rear control arms/sway bars Ridetech 3-way coil overs. Champion aluminum heads & intake. Comp roller hydraulic cam. CF hood, fiberglass bumpers. Baer 6P (2-piece rotors) 14" front & 13" rear brakes.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:48 AM

My Son is at UNCC this year! He is going to try and help the team as much as he can, but grades are first! I built the FSAE car for Virginia Tech in 1990 that won the national championship!