Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 11-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default What do the other TIG guys do to sharpen your tungsten?

I'm still learning the ropes of this TIG machine and getting better by the project. After a long conversation with the guy behind the desk at the local welding shop I've gotten some tungsen and filler rod that are better sized for my materials and its made a world of difference in weld quality! The last issue I'm really fighting is scatter which leads to my question.... What is everyone else doing to sharpen their tungsten? The guy at the welding shop of course recommended a dedicated grinder wheel that is only used for sharpening tungsten which would be practical if I was TIG welding all day... or even on a weekly basis but in the real world the grinder gets used for anything that needs grinding. I've tried looking for a sharpener and they make them for $500+ which is also not practical.

Anybody have a better option or do I just need give in and dedicate a grinder wheel to the noble goal of better TIG welding?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:50 PM

You just need to give in.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:44 PM

What Jason said is true...

However, to address the question more directly, a dedicated wheel is worth it but it doesn't have to be a full size grinding wheel. I use a 1" diameter stone wheel for my die grinder.

The important thing is to grind the tungsten in the correct direction. The grind marks should be parallel to the center line of the material. I hold the tungsten with the point toward the top of the wheel (although I have seen other people hold the point down). If the grind marks are perpendicular to the center line of the tungsten that can cause issues with the arc stability.

There are chemical sharpening options too but I have not used those too much. Actually I have only used that type of deal once at the welding shop when i was demoing a Miller Diversion. I found the chemical tough to control the shape and size of the sharpening. maybe with a little practice it would get easier but I like grinding.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by ccm399; 11-15-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:25 PM

A dedicated die grinder setup might be something to look into.... thanks!

I'm currently sharpening it on my belt sander with a worn 120 grit belt and I am pointing into the cut. I've heard you should use 180 or finer so I know my choice of sharpening tool is likely the cause of my issue but its convenient until I get something better figured out... thus the post! I'll be making some type of change here in the next week.

Anyone else with a trick setup?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 PM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

I have a dedicated tungsten grinder....

This is the model I own -- but these little things ARE as you know - expensive!

http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=2837

A couple of things....

#1) Tungsten dust ain't good for ya!

#2) The shape and quality of your tungsten IS important.

Be sure you're grinding properly -- and on a dedicated wheel that isn't contaminated. If you can't afford a dedicated tungsten grinder....pick up a cheap bench grinder at Harbor Freight or something of that quality and use it
only for tungsten work.

There are tons of educational videos on this subject on YouTube... takes only a couple minutes and maybe you'll spot something you are or aren't doing.

Remember -- INVERTER TIG welding - YOU DO NOT ball the tungsten for aluminum... you point it like everything else you're doing.

I got a good laugh at this scenario... because as many people discover - the initial purchase of equipment is the "cheap part".... it's all the other stuff you need to make PRO quality parts! I own an inexpensive JET "mill/drill".... I've spent 3 times the original purchase amount on cutters and collets and vises and indexers...

Last edited by GregWeld; 11-15-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 PM

Last week I was having the same problem . I was in a pinch so I just cut the 1/16 tungsten with a wire cutters . This was much better than the old grinding wheel at the shop . I now have a dedicated grinder that gets locked up ,so the other cavemen at the shop dont sharpen there spear points with it .
Old 11-15-2011, 10:54 PM

A little PS....

The smaller the tungsten diameter - the FINER (is that a word?) your wheel/grit should be.

I wouldn't use anything coarser than #300 and #600 should be used on the little 1/16th inch stuff.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:38 PM

Good stuff Greg (as always).

I will have to give the finer (I say it IS a word!) wheel a try on my 1/16 and .040 stuff. The wheel I have is pretty fine but I know it is way courser (hmm not sure about that one ) than #300

Chris
Old 11-16-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Remember -- INVERTER TIG welding - YOU DO NOT ball the tungsten for aluminum... you point it like everything else you're doing.
And don't use GREEN tungsten either.... Even the guy at the LWS had Green in when I demo'd the Diversion.. I asked him if we could change it to RED and boom MUCH better!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:51 PM

Oh yeah --- Green (pure) is super old skool....

Use the proper tungsten for the proper HEAT RANGE which there are many charts for. You can find these at Miller or Lincoln. The diameter and type of tungsten is based on the work - A/C or DCEN - and the amperage range etc.

Crank that bad boy up and use too much current for the tungsten diameter and you get all manor of crud in your weld!

Since I'm old as dirt and can't remember anything (what were we talking about?) I use charts for everything lest I get confused. I tape them on the sides of my machines for easy reference.